Law Florida Restores Right To Vote For Felons

Great more Trump voters

They don't care as long they get votes.

What is the argument for felons not being able to vote? Once their debt to society is paid that is.

I wonder who the average felon votes for.

Probably whoever is soft on crime!

Travesty.

Another example of how spineless and morally bankrupt the Democrats have become in their fervent pursuit for more votes.
What is the argument for felons not being able to vote? Once their debt to society is paid that is.
Restitution of that debt pays for freedom, not for the restoration of once-given rights. That's a squandered right.

Feelings have felons too, let them bang vote bro.

Travesty.

Another example of how spineless and morally bankrupt the Democrats have become in their fervent pursuit for more votes.

Restitution of that debt pays for freedom, not for the restoration of once-given rights. That's a squandered right.
How free is a person that can't vote, Mick

You should put this question to every inmate who is about to walk out of the door of a prison. After all, if there is no difference, then I'm sure they wouldn't mind turning right around. I'm willing to bet they'll be able to navigate the nuance to find the true outcome.

They're plenty free.

I can admit I was woefully uninformed on this topic until tonight. I had no idea there was such a disparity from state to state. Maine and Vermont allow incarcerated felons to vote, while most others they regain the right some time after incarceration, parole or probation end. Only a few have some sort of special application required.

Hmm.

They did their time and are free so should have all rights restored vs. did they learn anything in prison (as most prisoners are repeat offenders.)

Two interesting logics'. I tend to go with the former, BUT...

Why not have prisoners take a very basic political (and maybe civic?) competency test first? Could even speed up parole... and no, that's not a good idea for those who are not_felons, but could be reasonable for some States as a promotion of civility among the uncivil.

What about buying a gun? How many felons can buy guns versus vote?

Hmm.

They did their time and are free so should have all rights restored vs. did they learn anything in prison (as most prisoners are repeat offenders.)

Two interesting logics'. I tend to go with the former, BUT...

Why not have prisoners take a very basic political (and maybe civic?) competency test first? Could even speed up parole... and no, that's not a good idea for those who are not_felons, but could be reasonable for some States as a promotion of civility among the uncivil.
Well, we have to face this question of how much we can continue to punish people after their actual sentence has been carried out (and in what ways). Parole, for example, can be seen as an extension of a punishment. In my opinion, felony status is essentially an excuse to deprive the right to vote. Like, they need more punishment so let's take away... uh... what do we got... voting! That'll do it. I don't buy that it's actually about the felonies at all, really, but a way to rhetorically and legally create social and class barriers (in my opinion). Permanent second-class citizen status, if you will. I say this as someone who recognizes that voting is our most fundamental right, the very bedrock of our entire government and way of life. Not being able to exercise that right means you have no representation as a person under an elected government. Taking that away permanently is antithetical to my understanding of what it means to be an American. I get that plenty of my fellow Americans may disagree with this, and that's their prerogative. For what it's worth, we should take a moment to think about how the citizens of Florida just voted to ensure that their fellow citizens can exercise their right to vote as well.

Last edited:
Every bit as free.

The right to vote isn't a condition of freedom.
I couldn't disagree with that more
To my way of thinking, it's the foundation of our freedom as Americans. Everything is based upon it.

I was initially charged with a felony for pulling a wheelie on a motorcycle. I don’t think many understand what they are basing their strong opinions on. Just a vague sense of “omg felons + democrat votes!”

It's ridiculous that anybody would be for citizens to lose their right to vote, especially when you really think about what a 'felony' is.
A felony doesn't just mean murder or rape.

Felonies include but are not limited to the following:

Should you lose your rights and have your life ruined for FOREVER for all of these things?
You can't keep punishing people that already paid their debt to society for the rest of their lives AND expect them to become upstanding members of society. You are just setting them up to continue to fail.
Why would they care about a system and government that they are excluded from?

There are restrictions that make sense, such as, a violent offender owning weapons, but the right to vote?
That is some China bullshit.
Only retards think this is some ploy to " get more Democrat votes". This is a basic human rights issue. Has nothing to do with politics.

Back