Social Florida city blasts Baby Shark song to drive away homeless from waterfront

So a kid is with his family during the summer after a night out, and they have to listen to this?

You sure you think that is cool.

Better yet, you are a 19 year old doing a paper route at night, and you have to listen to this?

lol at paper routes. what decade you in?

giphy.gif

A large portion of them are mentally ill, and another large portion are also addicted to drugs. We'd have to create and fund large mental health and drug treatment facilities all around the country to get the homeless population off the streets. I'm not opposed to it, but we'd have to be willing to spend an extremely high amount of money.

But you can’t force them into treatment for mental health or drugs and most don’t want it. There is treatment out there for free if they want it. Not as much as there should be that is very true.

The problem is they don’t want it.

So unless we change the law and widen the scope of a danger to themselves or others there is very little that can be done.

That doesn’t mean that other citizens should have to suffer for it by allowing these people to destroy families areas and the area in general.

But you can’t force them into treatment for mental health or drugs and most don’t want it. There is treatment out there for free if they want it. Not as much as there should be that is very true.

The problem is they don’t want it.

So unless we change the law and widen the scope of a danger to themselves or others there is very little that can be done.

That doesn’t mean that other citizens should have to suffer for it by allowing these people to destroy families areas and the area in general.

So what's the alternative, making homelessness illegal and arresting them? How do we imprison a bunch of mentally ill drug addicts?

It just seems like an almost unfixable situation without a massive amount of money and resources.

Interesting. I see the cities view and it seems like a harmless way of moving the homeless somewhere else.

My thoughts exactly... I almost always side with the homeless people in situations like these but I agree with you on this one.

So what's the alternative, making homelessness illegal and arresting them? How do we imprison a bunch of mentally ill drug addicts?

It just seems like an almost unfixable situation without a massive amount of money and resources.

Not imprison them force them into treatment they may require arresting them as a danger to themselves.

However that is a slippery slope and I don’t like the idea very much.

So the best we can do is yes to spend the money to make sure treatment is available if they want it.

But also the rest of us should not be required to deal with them fucking up things for us because they don’t want to change.

A large portion of them are mentally ill, and another large portion are also addicted to drugs. We'd have to create and fund large mental health and drug treatment facilities all around the country to get the homeless population off the streets. I'm not opposed to it, but we'd have to be willing to spend an extremely high amount of money.
As someone who spends time with the homeless everyday at work. This is the only way. Most refuse help from family and friends, they make plenty of money panhandling, and are happy with the freedom living in the streets gives them. That can be directly related to untreated mental illness and drug addiction, but some also have jobs and don’t pay any bills. We have a “tent city” that’s on state property so we let them be, anyway, quite a few of them work at the Staples down the street and have heated/AC tents with electricity.

Yep, there are shelters here with shade, cots, tents, bottled water, food, etc. I guess it's too hard to a) not drink, b) not shoot up, and c) not piss and shit all over the place.
Now that's just asking too much of someone.

I'll bullshit with them after I decline to give them any money, and I would say more like few are mentally ill (definitely some, but few) and the vast majority are alcoholics or addicts living on the streets or in these encampments by choice. Because they can get a bed in a shelter and such, but they don't let you in wasted or using, so they choose to use and not avail themselves of those shelters. That's my anecdotal experience from various cities throughout the country (and world, frankly) and pretty well supported here in the 'nati given I've chatted with them probably a hundred of times through the years. Certainly dozens upon dozens at least.

I'll bullshit with them after I decline to give them any money, and I would say more like few are mentally ill (definitely some, but few) and the vast majority are alcoholics or addicts living on the streets or in these encampments by choice. Because they can get a bed in a shelter and such, but they don't let you in wasted or using, so they choose to use and not avail themselves of those shelters. That's my anecdotal experience from various cities throughout the country (and world, frankly) and pretty well supported here in the 'nati given I've chatted with them probably a hundred of times through the years. Certainly dozens upon dozens at least.

I don't doubt that you've encountered plenty of homeless who are just drug addicted and not mentally ill. Apparently about 25% of them suffer from significant mental illness.
https://www.nationalhomeless.org/factsheets/Mental_Illness.pdf

So that's a significant portion, but it's not like the majority or anything. Plus, I am willing to bet the 75% that are not severely mentally ill are more likely to be approachable and easily engaged. They are also probably more likely to be asking people for money and not just wandering around shouting incoherently (I've seen that many times). I hate seeing people who are in desperate need, it can be genuinely upsetting. It can also be genuinely angering when people sabotage themselves and then force you into a position to feel empathy for them.

I'm not sure what to do about the homeless issues. If I had a great plan I'd write my congressman. Lol.

I don't doubt that you've encountered plenty of homeless who are just drug addicted and not mentally ill. Apparently about 25% of them suffer from significant mental illness.
https://www.nationalhomeless.org/factsheets/Mental_Illness.pdf

So that's a significant portion, but it's not like the majority or anything. Plus, I am willing to bet the 75% that are not severely mentally ill are more likely to be approachable and easily engaged. They are also probably more likely to be asking people for money and not just wandering around shouting incoherently (I've seen that many times). I hate seeing people who are in desperate need, it can be genuinely upsetting. It can also be genuinely angering when people sabotage themselves and then force you into a position to feel empathy for them.

I'm not sure what to do about the homeless issues. If I had a great plan I'd write my congressman. Lol.

25% may be right, I'd think even less but agree otherwise. Not sure how you stop choice, though. It's a sad life, but one they choose (many of them).

My friend has a two year old daughter that loves the song. He invited his parents over to watch a movie, and they decided to play the song on loop off his cell after she became irritable, while the movie was playing I might add. I thought I was going to lose my mind.

If only there were dog whistles that only homeless people could hear.

Record the sound of change jingling in a pocket. The homeless will migrate toward the sound.

"These are people who are already in desperate straits and this is an effort to make life even more miserable for them," says Maria Foscarinis, founder and executive director of the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty. "Driving them out by blaring music is just inhumane and really shocking."

But I guess shitting on sidewalks is perfectly fine in their book.
If it’s on her house’s door step I’m fine with it. My money is that she is insulted from it. The best solution is to ship them to Los Angeles

they used to blast cats meowing or babies crying over speakers when entering high risk towns like Fallujah and others back
in the day to spook insurgents. not sure it worked, but sounds creepy cool. like Kilgore flying in on VC.

Beautiful scene. What an amazing amount of coordination and planning it must've taken to film all that. Coppola was on the ball.

wanderlei silva needs to get back into the octagon with this

Did they add a line for “homeless shark da dada da”

And this is ridiculous, these are people and this is the sort of stuff they did with Britney Spears to torture prisoners in Iraq.

Back