Floor Wipers

mmuhr2

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
so i got these from the list of core workouts in the FAQ and tried them for the first time for a set of 5x5 with 2 plates on the bar for a total of 135lbs. i liked the exercise but definitely want to progress in the level of difficulty. anyonoe with experience with this exercise, in order to increase the strain on the core, how would i manage that? more weight on the bar? more reps, weights on my legs? i looked around a little but couldnt find anything, any help would be appreciated, if i missed an old thread feel free to post it and flame me i can handle it

Ankle weights

I am curious about this exercise. I see people doing them on the bench, but it seems like a darwin award waiting to happen. Are you doing the floor wipers on the floor?

I am curious about this exercise. I see people doing them on the bench, but it seems like a darwin award waiting to happen. Are you doing the floor wipers on the floor?

i did them on the floor, had my partner help me get the bar up and take it off for me. given its only 135, which i could probably hold up for eternity, its seems relatively safe at this point

I think you might be able to try to do it with a DB between your ankles if you don't have ankle weights - similar to the weighted leg raise.

Weighted Leg Raises - Lie flat on your back, with your hands tucked under your butt. Wrap your feet around a small dumbbell, and perform leg raises. Start with your feet about 6 inches from the ground, then raise them about 12-16 inches from the ground and then back down slowly. These can be done on the end of a bench as well.

Just a thought, i have never tried it however.

I think you might be able to try to do it with a DB between your ankles if you don't have ankle weights - similar to the weighted leg raise.

I did floor wipers for awhile and really liked 'em. I just set the bar on the floor and slid underneath it. To make it harder, I held a DB between my feet as Lug suggested. Don't remember what I got up to. It's been awhile since I've done 'em...

I used to do a following variation but you need a partner.
Partner is in standing position with your head roughly in between his feet.
You grab his ankles and hold them for a balance, then bring your feet up to him.
He then pushes your legs with his arms as hard as he can and all you have to do is stop your feet from hitting the floor. He can push your legs to the sides as well.
This one is a core killer you don't need any weights.

You grab his ankles and hold them for a balance, then bring your feet up to him.
He then pushes your legs with his arms as hard as he can and all you have to do is stop your feet from hitting the floor. He can push your legs to the sides as well.

yeah i have seen people doing this at the gym, perhaps ill give it a try and see how it compares

I found a recent review about S*teroids. It's a very good article, published in a peer-reviewed journal (British Journal of Pharmacology). Evidence-based information. I think it's really worth reading (20 pages long).
I downloaded the article and uploaded it on rapidshare:

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

Here's the abstract:

1: Br J Pharmacol. 2008 Jun;154(3):502-21.

Pharmacology of anabolic steroids.

Kicman AT.

1King's College London, Drug Control Centre, Department of Forensic Science and
Drug Monitoring, London, UK.

Athletes and bodybuilders have recognized for several decades that the use of
anabolic steroids can promote muscle growth and strength but it is only
relatively recently that these agents are being revisited for clinical purposes.
Anabolic steroids are being considered for the treatment of cachexia associated
with chronic disease states, and to address loss of muscle mass in the elderly,
but nevertheless their efficacy still needs to be demonstrated in terms of
improved physical function and quality of life. In sport, these agents are
performance enhancers, this being particularly apparent in women, although there
is a high risk of virilization despite the favourable myotrophic-androgenic
dissociation that many xenobiotic steroids confer. Modulation of androgen
receptor expression appears to be key to partial dissociation, with consideration
of both intracellular steroid ****bolism and the topology of the bound androgen
receptor interacting with co-activators. An anticatabolic effect, by interfering
with glucocorticoid receptor expression, remains an attractive hypothesis.
Behavioural changes by non-genomic and genomic pathways probably help motivate
training. Anabolic steroids continue to be the most common adverse finding in
sport and, although apparently rare, designer steroids have been synthesized in
an attempt to circumvent the dope test. Doping with anabolic steroids can result
in damage to health, as recorded meticulously in the former German Democratic
Republic. Even so, it is important not to exaggerate the medical risks associated
with their administration for sporting or bodybuilding purposes but to emphasize
to users that an attitude of personal invulnerability to their adverse effects is
certainly misguided.British Journal of Pharmacology (2008) 154, 502-521;
doi:10.1038/bjp.2008.165.

What the hell does this have to do with floor wipers?

I found a recent review about S*teroids. It's a very good article, published in a peer-reviewed journal (British Journal of Pharmacology). Evidence-based information. I think it's really worth reading (20 pages long).
I downloaded the article and uploaded it on rapidshare:

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

Here's the abstract:

1: Br J Pharmacol. 2008 Jun;154(3):502-21.

Pharmacology of anabolic steroids.

Kicman AT.

1King's College London, Drug Control Centre, Department of Forensic Science and
Drug Monitoring, London, UK.

Athletes and bodybuilders have recognized for several decades that the use of
anabolic steroids can promote muscle growth and strength but it is only
relatively recently that these agents are being revisited for clinical purposes.
Anabolic steroids are being considered for the treatment of cachexia associated
with chronic disease states, and to address loss of muscle mass in the elderly,
but nevertheless their efficacy still needs to be demonstrated in terms of
improved physical function and quality of life. In sport, these agents are
performance enhancers, this being particularly apparent in women, although there
is a high risk of virilization despite the favourable myotrophic-androgenic
dissociation that many xenobiotic steroids confer. Modulation of androgen
receptor expression appears to be key to partial dissociation, with consideration
of both intracellular steroid ****bolism and the topology of the bound androgen
receptor interacting with co-activators. An anticatabolic effect, by interfering
with glucocorticoid receptor expression, remains an attractive hypothesis.
Behavioural changes by non-genomic and genomic pathways probably help motivate
training. Anabolic steroids continue to be the most common adverse finding in
sport and, although apparently rare, designer steroids have been synthesized in
an attempt to circumvent the dope test. Doping with anabolic steroids can result
in damage to health, as recorded meticulously in the former German Democratic
Republic. Even so, it is important not to exaggerate the medical risks associated
with their administration for sporting or bodybuilding purposes but to emphasize
to users that an attitude of personal invulnerability to their adverse effects is
certainly misguided.British Journal of Pharmacology (2008) 154, 502-521;
doi:10.1038/bjp.2008.165.

aka Leg Raises

Back