Float like a butterfly OR hit like a truck...a better way to throw hands!!

-guerilla-

Founder of the Louisville fight club est..1993
Banned
Reaction score
Ever since I was a teenager I loved boxing and considered it the ultimate expression of what hands could do

It's terribly curious to watch the footwork in particular

Some Fighters like to dance and bounce around like Muhammad Ali and Larry Holmes while other Fighters like mike tyson and most Mexican stylists tended to keep their feet planted flat on the ground and dig deep into their punches

There's no question that it has a place in boxing but I personally find the dancing approach to be a liability in other combat sports

The MMA transfer skill is also suspect as you see more MMA Strikers taking the flat-footed deeply-rooted approach rather than the "float like a butterfly" striking Style especially as it makes you takedown bait

while boxing's "conventional" wisdom has usually expressed the exact opposite attitude modern science is changing the debate...

"Rolling with the punches: Flat footed fighters have an evolutionary advantage when it comes to combat"
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4224110/Flat-footed-fighters-advantages-combat.html

"I just believe that too much emphasis has been placed on fighting on the toes or ball of the foot and not enough has been given to flat footed fighting"
http://oldstylemuaythai.blogspot.com/2010/03/why-you-need-to-fight-flat-footed.html

"I heard that flat-footed boxers usually have more power to their punch than boxers who are light on their feet"
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070110073253AAodi7N

Last edited:
I don't think it's as simple as "flat footed is better".

Tyson vs Holmes is a great example of the flat foot "walk em down" style vs the "bounce" style

usually the taller man is the "bouncer" but vs tyson lennox lewis stays firmly planted with his usual flat foot style

Last edited:
"I try not to teach this fancy stuff where your bouncing up on your feet, thats more for a boxing situation where you dont have to worry about takedowns or kicks"

1:45
This is boxing.
Sorry, not for big names fanatics:)….but enough fast.

1. Some Fighters like to dance and bounce around like Muhammad Ali and Larry Holmes while other Fighters like mike tyson and most Mexican stylists tended to keep their feet planted flat on the ground and dig deep into their punches
  2. There's no question that it has a place in boxing but I personally find the dancing approach to be a liability in other combat sports
  3. The MMA transfer skill is also suspect as you see more MMA Strikers taking the flat-footed deeply-rooted approach
Just starting to learn, so only going to tackle these general 3 points.

1. Right. Even I remember this famous characteristic of Ali. More importantly for the novice, one of the couple boxing basics vids I posted (the 4 punches), the coach mentions / covers the different personality on stance. Kinda of struck me as the standard science, versus the Muay Thai kind of stance. The similar / same concept applied here to footwork.
  2. I'm an MMA spectator and I find this statement contrary to it's assertion. Going back to point 1, we have champion boxers using both approach to be crowned champions; and a boxing trainer saying it's a matter of 'personality' (personal choice), not right or wrong. So a discussion forum starter then.
  3. Not sure what you conclude here. However, MMA strikers commonly have terrible stances & footwork. Since I learned the boxing standard stance & footwork (as as shown above), I notice experienced boxers commonly do use the boxer footwork religiously. Moreover, they caution against raising up on the toes or otherwise loosing that basic stance. I'm positive the discussion will go on about the standard MMA things like takedown or some other MMA thing,,, I feel the boxing instructors are correct in maintaining basics.

Last edited:
No need to have big names. Big names in boxing is one thing, in MMA using big names does more harm than good. Besides posters aren't champion level strikers (correct me if I'm wrong).

1:45
This is boxing.
Sorry, not for big names fanatics:)….but enough fast.

Wow, I got to the first knockdown and stopped the action.

Not sure how the butterfly-effect ties into the vid (though Thumbs up for a great demo vid)? The White trunk's guy who goes down... his whole basics sucks. Beginning with footwork. He moves a little back but mostly just stands & takes the shot! Cowers.

The few vids (boxing) I've watched, the trainer directly say not to do what this guy does.

"I try not to teach this fancy stuff where your bouncing up on your feet, thats more for a boxing situation where you dont have to worry about takedowns or kicks"

The first footwork description fits with the boxing standard in the boxing videos I've watched. The instructor here does this nicely. He talks as a Muay Thai stylist, yet uses the boxing platform? Best for MMA in his opinion, what I get.

This is bout's video not demo.
Pick out a word.?1? That's MMA, pick an item then build the world around it. No wonder so many suck.:rolleyes:

This wasn't MMA bout.

I think you have opinion that there all are MMA fans. ( Low level as TheMaster loves to insist ).
Besides posters aren't champion level strikers (correct me if I'm wrong).
This exactly proves it.
___
No, I'm not champion level but definitely I don't need Yotube tutorials how to punch etc.
Interestingly how people get it without internet and long theoretical discussions?

So for me this forum is mainly entertainment and I don't care what you think about me.

Just starting to learn, so only going to tackle these general 3 points.

1. Right. Even I remember this famous characteristic of Ali. More importantly for the novice, one of the couple boxing basics vids I posted (the 4 punches), the coach mentions / covers the different personality on stance. Kinda of struck me as the standard science, versus the Muay Thai kind of stance. The similar / same concept applied here to footwork.
  2. I'm an MMA spectator and I find this statement contrary to it's assertion. Going back to point 1, we have champion boxers using both approach to be crowned champions; and a boxing trainer saying it's a matter of 'personality' (personal choice), not right or wrong. So a discussion forum starter then.
  3. Not sure what you conclude here. However, MMA strikers commonly have terrible stances & footwork. Since I learned the boxing standard stance & footwork (as as shown above), I notice experienced boxers commonly do use the boxer footwork religiously. Moreover, they caution against raising up on the toes or otherwise loosing that basic stance. I'm positive the discussion will go on about the standard MMA things like takedown or some other MMA thing,,, I feel the boxing instructors are correct in maintaining basics.

whenever you "bounce" your weight is being lifted up in the air

a good wrestler will time your "bounce" and shoot in accordingly

as someone with equal kickboxing and wrestling exposure I learned very early that the ALI foot work style was not appropriate for any sport where takedowns are a factor

MMA athletes look "terrible and wrong" to people who practice traditional martial arts however they mop the floor with the same critics most time

MMA is the ACID TEST for martial arts techniques so I will avoid the bounce...as you should too

This wasn't MMA bout.
Again, this is trolling the non-established voice.
I think you have opinion that there all are MMA fans. ( Low level as TheMaster loves to insist ).
Linking to MMA like everyone else. Not saying what you want said, you mean.

This exactly proves it.
___
No, I'm not champion level but definitely I don't need Yotube tutorials how to punch etc.
Interestingly how people get it without internet and long theoretical discussions?
So why didn't you rely then to the OP. See above.

So for me this forum is mainly entertainment and I don't care what you think about me.
I was agreeing with you about the champions, yet you find fault with agreement. So why reply @ all?:D

Interesting point. Not sure if it’s true but I tend to be more planted/ not bouncing around and I also happen to hit harder than most. But the law of large numbers would dictate we need more evidence.

This wasn't MMA bout.

This exactly proves it.
___

this forum is 95% trolls so take it all with patience

the 5% of intelligent respondents make it worth it [IMO]

Interesting point. Not sure if it’s true but I tend to be more planted/ not bouncing around and I also happen to hit harder than most. But the law of large numbers would dictate we need more evidence.

I think its ARGUABLE because some guys bounced around yet hit like trucks

some guys did EVERYTHING "wrong" yet won nearly all their bouts

I think its ARGUABLE because some guys bounced around yet hit like trucks

some guys did EVERYTHING "wrong" yet won nearly all their bouts

Lol exactly. Tomorrow I could start bouncing around and still throw bombs and that could shift the narrative. I don’t think power can be boiled down to something as simple as grounded/bouncing footwork.

whenever you "bounce" your weight is being lifted up in the air

a good wrestler will time your "bounce" and shoot in accordingly
REally? Why can't the striker counter the wrestler? Sounds like the ghost of Royce Gracie!

as someone with equal kickboxing and wrestling exposure I learned very early that the ALI foot work style was not appropriate for any sport where takedowns are a factor
Well, may I add the MMA instructors vid came across to me as sound. Not sure, going back to the coach about personality in expressing basics, whether that's the only route.

MMA athletes look "terrible and wrong" to people who practice traditional martial arts however they mop the floor with the same critics most time
Yeah, mop up those TMA people. Get the bucket out. I caught bit time flack for posting what, 2 or 3 karate vids, both plus & minus.

MMA is the ACID TEST for martial arts techniques so I will avoid the bounce...as you should too
The instructor makes a good case. No argument there.

this forum is 95% trolls so take it all with patience
Ah, no. The forum is biased toward the heavy contact crowd who want to knock down the other guy & wrestle the same.

the 5% of intelligent respondents make it worth it [IMO]
And who exactly is that.

p.s. Glad I haven't posted any more karate videos. Would be swarmed!<Eek2.0>

p.s.S. They are still going on about Wing chun's FAULTS!!!<Lmaoo>

Back