Flexibility training

mweaver123

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Can any of you recommend a good flexibility training regimen? Maybe a video, book, or article that you've found particularly useful? I'd like to start stretching more during my training downtime. Thanks!

I can't offer any media, but I've been doing Iyengar Hatha Yoga for the past month. I feel improvements in my flexibility (with regular practice of course).

It's a form of Hatha yoga that uses props, so that if you're not too flexible in some parts or even not flexible at all you'll still be able to do modified versions of poses until with time you can do it without the props. Also, some poses are modified versions of traditional poses that use props to enhance the stretch.

In addition, I'd recommend taking a class rather than just a book, so that someone knowledgeable can stop you from developing bad habits.

Overall, I think any yoga class would be beneficial, since it helps perk up your butt. :D I just happen to do Iyengar Hatha yoga.

first stuff i ever read about stretching for grappling came from a couple of eddie bravo books. I liked it and have been continuing those stretches for about the last year, getting some pretty good results (you just have to make a habit of stretching regualrily). Just avoid eddie's "self heel hook" stretch....not too sure about that one :icon_neut

JT Torres has a video on all streches used in BJJ. It's the best imo.

Second would be Eddie Bravo. Search YouTube for that one.

Ryan Hall's flexibility video. By far better than eddie's by itself. With that being said, I still use some of Eddie Bravo's stretches. Not many, but I do the blunt stretch and the butterfly all the time.

Does anybody else think that time spent stretching is time that could be better spent drilling?

Does anybody else think that time spent stretching is time that could be better spent drilling?

Perhaps, but high quality drilling and sparring (or any at all) may not be possible in every situation where stretching may be.

Dynamic stretching before training and static stretching after!!

**Static stretching before working out can limit your muscles ability by up to 30%!!! Which means about 98% of people are fucking themselves prior to competitions.

Last edited:
Dynamic stretching before training and static stretching after!!

**Static stretching before working out can limit your mescles ability by up to 30%!!! Which means about 98% of people are fucking themselves prior to competitions.

sources for this info? would like to learn more about this

Perhaps, but high quality drilling and sparring (or any at all) may not be possible in every situation where stretching may be.

It's just that I detect this thread will probably head in the direction of yet another rubber guard discussion. Generally speaking, my flexibility has improved by just drilling techniques as required. Any kind of "I need to improve my flexibility quickly" comment is usually followed by "I'm currently experimenting/thinking about experimenting with the rubber guard".

It's just that I detect this thread will probably head in the direction of yet another rubber guard discussion. Generally speaking, my flexibility has improved by just drilling techniques as required. Any kind of "I need to improve my flexibility quickly" comment is usually followed by "I'm currently experimenting/thinking about experimenting with the rubber guard".

HP don't jinx it lol!!!

Back to the discussion, I can't drill by myself (for the most part) but I can stretch at my office while sitting and procrastinating on Sherdog without getting a reaction from my coworkers. I don't think my supervisor would approve of me if I were shrimping to the copy room. Or better yet doing armdrags on people attempting to shake my hand.

In regard to actual stretches the trick is to relax into it. TS, when doing a stretch, once you reach the maximum point that your can stretch, hold the stretch and flex the muscle as hard as you can for 5 or 10 seconds. Then while holding the stretch relax the muscle...and stretch further. You'll be amazed at how much further you can go after doing this.

The reason this works is because when you stretch a muscle to its limits your body has a subconscious reaction to tighten it because it thinks the muscle is in danger of tearing. When you flex the muscle it tires it out and the subconcious reflex doesn't have enough energy to tighten, allowing you to stretch further.

Try doing a split with this method. You'll be surpised at how much further you can go.

Last edited:

Personally i dont care for the rubber guard, but there are infinite benifits from being flexible regardless. Example; being able to counter passing like BJ penn does:

Thanks for the tips so far! No, I'm not trying rubber guard stuff or anything like that (I didn't actually think this thread would degrade into that). I love yoga, but I can't make time for those classes...I barely have time to train as it is, which is why I was thinking of a video or something like that.

Personally i dont care for the rubber guard, but there are infinite benifits from being flexible regardless. Example; being able to counter passing like BJ penn does: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1kLYq2noc8[/youtube]

I appreciate that, I'm sure there are benefits (and after reading Bruce's reply above, I'm actually interested in giving those stretching techniques a try), it's just that I've never come across a situation in rolling where I thought "Damn, if only I had a bit more flexibility!"

Using an example, I've been caught in an electric chair submission a couple of times, and each time I preferred to focus on what I could have done better to escape or avoid, as opposed to making a conscious decision to improve my flexibility in future.

If there are a number of solutions to a problem, I will always prefer the improvement of technique over the improvement of physical attributes.

If you -really- want to know, get "Stretching Scientifically"

If you just want to get flexible, just stretch. Whenever wherever. ;\

I would look up different stretches and push yourself as far as you can. Ive never been faced with any, well, real tension with flexibility and have always been able to stick myself in suitcases, give myself shoulder massages with my feet etc etc.

I would look up different stretches and push yourself as far as you can. Ive never been faced with any, well, real tension with flexibility and have always been able to stick myself in suitcases, give myself shoulder massages with my feet etc etc.

I hate you so much right now! :p

Back