Flexibility, rubber guard, yoga

boomstickbjj

White Belt
Reaction score
I compete in bjj a lot, and teach as well. I used to be a competitive gymnast, but have since lost all my flexibility.
Have started stretching again and should get it all back within a few weeks (took 6 weeks to be able to do the splits last time i restarted a few years ago)

I also do use rubber guard a lot, personally I like it, so I do a lot of stretching for knee and hip flexiblity.

But i want to get into yoga.
Its all well and good being flexible, but you have to be strong in this wide range of motion as well.

Im wanting to get into yoga that is strength based.

Anyone know anything about yoga for strength ?

Wrong forum, you want the "gay" forum.

Only joking :icon_chee I wouldn't mix yoga and strength training personally. Maybe just do the yoga for flexibility, and some pilates for core strength? Perhaps it's me that should be posting in the gay forum :eek:

yoga will help out your bjj alot. it's incredible. I do a couple yoga videos you can find for free on hulu. Theres some crappy ones but some decent ones for beginners.

a lot of yoga movements help train your static strength

i do hot and power yoga, both of which i believe offer benefits to my bjj. Also it's nice to have a change of pace, as much as i love the mats, it's nice to do something else once in a while, and i think yoga is a great synergist.

P90X's YogaX has helped my flexibility.

I've only been doing martial arts since april/may and can butterfly my legs the whole way down. I do basic strength training only as an activity to slightly augment my bjj for now since I am focused on technique and not strength.

Thank you for the replies.
Even though Im pretty flexibile in splits and stuff like that, its not the righ flexibility for rubber guard (knee and ankle flexibility) the knee flexibility for rubber guard is so different.

Im working hard on the lotus stretch, almost got my nose to the floor already as this is the stretch that feels like it stretches my KNEE AND ANKLES in the same way that they get stretched in rubber guard.

Definatley going to look into yoga.
I have just got hold of the p90x yoga dvd, so gonna try it.

Wrong forum, you want the "gay" forum.

Only joking :icon_chee I wouldn't mix yoga and strength training personally. Maybe just do the yoga for flexibility, and some pilates for core strength? Perhaps it's me that should be posting in the gay forum :eek:

haha. Pilates > Yoga on the Gay-O-meter. I do some gay yoga too and I feel like it definatley helps all aspects of my grappling game. It helps passes, escapes, evens subs when you have a greater range of motion in your joints. I also use rubber guard when a big guy is just laying on me.

I tried the ginastica natural thing, but found yoga (though a little boring) works. I did the whole p90x program too, and I feel like the yoga kept me injury free for the 90 days.

Back