flexibility issues

Dynassty

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
hey guys,

I've been doing muay thai for a while now and its been great... I've always been horribly inflexible when I first started I was kicking like dan henderson and I had problems even getting above someone's hip for a kick during drills.

I've been getting more and more flexible by stretching in class and at home and just kicking the bag as high as I can.

Just wanted to know what other things you guys do?

I've been also stretching myself out on the abductor machine the odd time at the gym... is that a good one to use for more flexibility, I keep the weight generally low but I try to bring the setting as wide as possible so I get stretched out as far as i can before bringing my legs in.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!! Really wanna make my sparring partners respect my high kicks and not just assume my high kick will bounce off their arm lol

Have you tried myofascial release/foam rolling on those muscle?
You may have scar tissue/inflexible adhesions limiting full ROM.
I can also be the shape of your hips, if you want to spend the money try a physical therapist or chiropractor.

^ definitely the foam rolling and myofascial release.

Also what sort of stretching you doing? I've found PNF stretching works very well and also banded distractions to get the joint capsules to free up in this case the hip. The band you use to pull your hip more into the middle so it doesn't jam up in your socket before you can even get to stretch the other bits. If you've ever felt a pinching pain or jamming sensation in your hip when doing a hamstring stretch this is probably why.
This video shows a few examples, I recommend a thicker band, like those big green ones he has hanging up:

thanks for all that guys!!!

yeah my stretching usually consists of leaning down touching my toes (before I couldn't even reach my shoes, but doing muay thai, I can hug my legs and palm the floor) and that's been good, a lot of the hip flexor type stretches from that video and also sitting down and spreading my legs wide as i can and reaching forward and also doing splits as far as I can.

one of the instructors think that I'm not flexible because of my hips, I hope that's not the case but it does seem to take a lot of stretching to make progress.

I'll check out the books too, and if I ever get a chance I'll try and put up a video of how far I can stretch

Keep it simple, download the yoga x, its has great routine, i remember doing it in my rest day, its really good but still dont forget to stretch before and after the training and give your body time to adapt dont try stretch it too far or you will injure yourself.

Keep it simple, download the yoga x, its has great routine, i remember doing it in my rest day, its really good but still dont forget to stretch before and after the training and give your body time to adapt dont try stretch it too far or you will injure yourself.

Yoga based routines are fine for general well being and injury prevention but for martial arts (kicking etc.) you really need to build strength in the stretched position. That's where techniques such as PNF and isometric stretching come in.

Here's a link to Van Zandt's isometric split progression; I've not done it myself but the methodology looks sensible to me (I think he knocks around Sherdog too?).

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96381

first result when you google "dan henderson kicking"

hi-res-2e55bbb8778cf3c5b52a13ee4b342a49_crop_north.jpg

Yoga based routines are fine for general well being and injury prevention but for martial arts (kicking etc.) you really need to build strength in the stretched position. That's where techniques such as PNF and isometric stretching come in.

Here's a link to Van Zandt's isometric split progression; I've not done it myself but the methodology looks sensible to me (I think he knocks around Sherdog too?).

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96381

Flexibility is flexibility, it will translate in any martial arts/sports you do.

i already tried the yoga x from p90x, its good, the routine is good and i know some sherdoggers who also use it and got good results. (but you can also use some other material, its just convenient for me to watch things and copy it)

Last edited:
Flexibility is flexibility, it will translate in any martial arts/sports you do.

The different types of flexibility (according to Kurz) are:
Dynamic Flexibility:
Dynamic flexibility (also called kinetic flexibility) is the ability to perform dynamic (or kinetic) movements of the muscles to bring a limb through its full range of motion in the joints.

Static-Active Flexibility:
Static-active flexibility (also called active flexibility) is the ability to assume and maintain extended positions using only the tension of the agonists and synergists while the antagonists are being stretched (see section Cooperating Muscle Groups). For example, lifting the leg and keeping it high without any external support (other than from your own leg muscles).

Static-Passive Flexibility:
Static-passive flexibility (also called passive flexibility) is the ability to assume extended positions and then maintain them using only your weight, the support of your limbs, or some other apparatus (such as a chair or a barre). Note that the ability to maintain the position does not come solely from your muscles, as it does with static-active flexibility. Being able to perform the splits is an example of static-passive flexibility.

Research has shown that active flexibility is more closely related to the level of sports achievement than is passive flexibility. Active flexibility is harder to develop than passive flexibility (which is what most people think of as "flexibility"); not only does active flexibility require passive flexibility in order to assume an initial extended position, it also requires muscle strength to be able to hold and maintain that position.

Yoga only develops static-passive flexibility. I'm not saying yoga's bad per se, it's just an incomplete approach for a martial artist (MA). IMO, a MA's stretching programme should primarily consist of dynamic stretching (ideally on waking) with PNF and/or isometric stretching either post workout or late in the day.

Well i've noticed alotta guys stretch their thighs but forget to stretch their hip flexors

I use to struggle with my kicks, even after stretching it took me a 30 min into the lesson before my legs felt remotely walm to kick.

I ended up getting some advice from a PT training School (I was on a electrical fault, not training to be a personal trainer!) but he said stretching won't Help before the lesson, you have to walm the muscles you are using first, so I tried doing 5x each kick lightly on each leg starting low before the lesson started, then a few weeks later my kicking massively improved.

Not saying it's Correct way but worked for me, walm the legs up before and Lots of stretching after and inbetween sessions and your kicks will become really natural and strong.

I think you need a combination of flexibility and leg strength to become a good kicker, you can stretch every night until you can do the splits but if you have no strength In your legs then your kicks will still be crap

A rookie who had trouble kicking above his waistline asked me the same question a few months ago.

I gave him a short simple answer and our head coach was circling us listening as I spoke, nodding his head with a giant grin on like this:

vDvFC3L.gif

This was the advice.

Stop using chairs at home. Sit on the floor. Take your meals at the coffee table sitting on the floor. Indian style or butterfly sit. If you watch a movie in your living room sit on the floor the entire time. Move up to half lotus over time.

Do this for one year and you're hip flexibility will be completely different.

Genetics and somatotype (read: general physical build) may be a significant factor...and you may not be able to do much about it.

My somatatype is "ectomorph:" tall, slender, long legs. As such, the angle at which my femurs connect to my hips-- "Q angle"-- is wide, thus making it pretty much impossible do splits with each leg pointing outward to a full 180, groin touching the floor.

Years and years of daily stretching never got me there; lots of other guys could within weeks of beginning their training/stretching regimen.
At the same time, the conventional wisdom among coaches, trainers, physiologists, and such is that hurdle splits (one leg forward, one back) or standing flat-footed with both legs together/knees straight and touching my forehead to my knees should likewise be a no-go...I could, often cold, until I was pushing 40. The guy teaching the Kinesiology course where I was learning all this was stunned when I demonstrated for him.

[CONT'D]

[CONT'D]

It could also have to do technique.

At 6'3", I couldn't better than mid-torso until I learned to lean my upper body backwards/shoulders forward while maintaining my center of balance. Then, I could throw head-level shots, and do so with respectable force.

Combination of frequent static and dynamic stretching. Dynamic more so before exercise, and static whenever you want to stretch at home. Static stretching on the muscle group 2-3 times for at least 20 seconds seems to be the best at increasing flexibility in the tendon - morning and night will probably be best.

I think the major limiting factor for head kicks for a lot of people is adductor mobility problems, perhaps medial hamstrings too. Stretch with an emphasis on that. 2 other points that may helps are to stand on your toes on your support leg to get a few more inches of height, and to apply a heat gel to the area if you're game since a warmer tendon is a more elastic tendon.

I bought a stretching machine about two years ago and it’s helped a little increasing my flexibility but it’s also given me a lot of nagging hip pain. I started the Steve Maxwell hip mobility dvd last week and its dynamic stretching. I’m sore today but later is kickboxing and I’m curious if I’ll see any difference.

Attachments

• G111.jpg
    G111.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 0
Back