Flexibility for Grappling?

Pavel Tsatsouline. Find one of his books about flexibility and read it.

My objective is to be able to scratch my chin using my toes until next year.

I see a lot of people underestimate how important flexibility is for bjj, I know because im THE most inflexible guy in the world, and IT FUCKING SUCKS, stretching alone in class wont do that much, you will improve some with time, but it is imperative to do stretching outside class, that being yoga, pilates, or whatever you chose to do.... I think if you have some serius flexibility problems (you probably do thats why you are concern about it) keep it up... I think yoga helps, Pilates is alos pretty good, or so I heard.

Why would someone take "flexibility" advice from the most inflexible guy in the world?:icon_neut

I don't even know how someone can develop a decent guard game without being able to touch their toes. I've always thought flexibility was far easier to improve than strength or conditioning and it's just as benefitial. Once you've put some time into it and started seeing progress, you'll wonder how you ever rolled without it.

I also think yoga's a lot better for grappling than just plain stretching. The main things that seperate it are that it forces you to develop core strength, become stronger while in positions that require flexibility, learn to breathe deep while stretching and stay calm. I'd call it a more athletic flexibility that can be used immediately from any position.

Back