Flexibility for Grappling?

Do a lot of Active stretching, Static stretching really has never done much for me.

And one thing that helped my flexibility in my hips/hamstrings a lot, was heavy, deep squats. I've never had any problems with upperbody flexibility so I can't help much there.

Starts at 3:15, all the parts are up.

This is the video I used to watch when I first wanted to start improving my flexibility for BJJ, it improved my game significantly almost immediately. It only took doing it once a week in addition to stretching after training for a few minutes 1-2 times a week to make progress consistently. It makes a big difference what type of yoga you do, ashtanga seems to be the most effective for grapplers from what I've seen. I'm looking to get back into it as something to do on recovery days instead of just taking days off.

I read in an interview that BJ Penn stretches for 1/2 an hour before bed every day plus after training.

That guy is supposedly naturally incredibly flexible anyway yet he still feels the need to stretch daily.

I got addicted to stretching from reading Bruce Lee books. He was always doing something. No such thing as just sitting around.

Starts at 3:15, all the parts are up.

This is the video I used to watch when I first wanted to start improving my flexibility for BJJ, it improved my game significantly almost immediately. It only took doing it once a week in addition to stretching after training for a few minutes 1-2 times a week to make progress consistently. It makes a big difference what type of yoga you do, ashtanga seems to be the most effective for grapplers from what I've seen. I'm looking to get back into it as something to do on recovery days instead of just taking days off.

Woah, that vid would kick my ass. I'm doing a similar thing which is more beginner friendly, the ones I have problems with is foward bends-I can just about manage the modified pose where you're horizontal, head on chair etc. DFD-My heels wont go down which I assume is tightness in the hamstrings.
Thanks for the link though, this is something to work toward
Would love to get to this level of flexibility.

Obviously doing the movements you want to do are going to help you do them better.

But one thing I noticed that helps you become pretty elastic in general is hip mobility. Here are two articles that were able to assist me with that..

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...francos_training_rules_for_washedup_meatheads
(scroll down to the part that elaborates about the agile 8)

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/stretching_doesnt_work

Hope it helps.

These sound good too, I'll definitely be trying them. Thanks bro

You MUST be warm when you stretch IE: after weight training and running or cycling, or after your MMA TRAINING. Doing nothing or doing 10 jumping jacks then stretching wont work.

You MUST be warm when you stretch IE: after weight training and running or cycling, or after your MMA TRAINING. Doing nothing or doing 10 jumping jacks then stretching wont work.

80+ jumping jacks plus 5 minutes of running is a good overall warmup before stretching. I'm a big fan of dynamic stretching before static one.

Dont know if this is the right forum but hopefully someone can help.

I have the intention of starting MMA training within the next few months, BJJ and Muay thai are the main areas I will be looking to train.
I started trying to increase my flexibility in order to be more component and able with the grappling(and certain striking techniques) in mind.

I've taken up yoga and static stretches, but I am finding it very difficult and frustrating as my body seems unwilling to improve. It may be a mental issue though as I hate sucking at stuff.
Has anyone got any advice or been in a similar position and improved?
I would appreciate any tips or encouragement, thanks in advance.

Sorry if wrong forum, will move if it's a problem.

It's a good idea to work on your flexibility but you need to take that part of your ego outside and execute it. Not wanting to keep practicing something you are bad at will make you give up early on combat sports.

As far as flexibility training, I'm one of the more flexible guys in our gym and I'm 31. What really got me to where I'm at today is that in my early 20's I was doing alot of yoga and meditation, and specifically any time I was sitting at home I'd sit cross legged on the floor or on a firm couch. If you can watch a movie while sitting in half lotus with your back straight the whole time, it builds up over the years. I highly recommend sitting cross legged on the floor at home, eating your meals sitting indian style on the floor with a low table, etc.

After years of that butterfly stretches and rubber guard stuff are pretty easy for me.

Last edited:
@shunyata Thanks for the advice dude. I'm trying to get past that mentality definitely, it's just I've never come across anything like the difficulties I have with certain yoga poses-Where you cant will or force improvement. I'm gonna keep at it though, everyones replies have been encouraging in that respect.

It's my own fault that I'm so inflexible, I never warmed up or stretched for a run or workout in my life and I'm 27 and do a lot of distance running. It's my own stupid fault and is definitely not gonna happen overnight lol.
Cheers again for the advice

80+ jumping jacks plus 5 minutes of running is a good overall warmup before stretching. I'm a big fan of dynamic stretching before static one.

See I didn't know that either. What the hell were they teaching me in school?
Probably this to be fair but I was to busy staring at girls or something

Woah, that vid would kick my ass. I'm doing a similar thing which is more beginner friendly, the ones I have problems with is foward bends-I can just about manage the modified pose where you're horizontal, head on chair etc. DFD-My heels wont go down which I assume is tightness in the hamstrings.
Thanks for the link though, this is something to work toward
Would love to get to this level of flexibility.

Well, the idea is to not push it in the beginning of the video. Just focus on your breathing and follow along, it doesn't matter if you're able get your heels down yet. I don't really know what you call them but there's basically 10 "sets" of a series of poses in the beginning that amounts to a warm up. By the time those are done, you should be sweating and able to stretch a lot more deeply than you could when you started, you can't stretch a muscle that isn't warm.

It's my own fault that I'm so inflexible, I never warmed up or stretched for a run or workout in my life and I'm 27 and do a lot of distance running.

Nick would not approve, bro.

nick-diaz-splits3.jpg

nick-diaz-splits5.jpg

nick-diaz3.jpg

[hulu]embed-html.html?eid=o8libyfjadhjeovrv9vb8q&et=205&st=166[/hulu]

I've only recently started trying to improve my hamstring flexibility (I can't even touch my toes), and I'm pretty much using the same approach I used to get flexible hips. Lately, whenever I watch TV, I make sure I sit with my back against the wall with my legs straight. It sounds lame, but for me this is enough to feel a stretch in my hamstrings. Over the last week or so, I've already seen noticeable improvements in my flexibility. I did the same thing with my hips when I first started jiu jitsu about 4 or 5 years ago (by sitting in a hip-opener position when I was just hanging out), and within 3 or 4 months I could easily touch my knees to the mat from the butterfly position.

Gaining flexibility is the easiest thing in the world.

Maintaining it is the difficult part.

Nick would not approve, bro.

nick-diaz-splits3.jpg

nick-diaz-splits5.jpg

nick-diaz3.jpg

Haha yeah I know man, Dudes ridiculously flexible. obviously takes it real serious. It was after noticing Diaz' flexibility and seeing him always do extensive stretching before rolling that I thought "hmmm should probably start doing that shit."

I've only recently started trying to improve my hamstring flexibility (I can't even touch my toes)

the-very-best-of-the-and-quot-that-feel-and-quot-meme.jpg

Obviously doing the movements you want to do are going to help you do them better.

But one thing I noticed that helps you become pretty elastic in general is hip mobility. Here are two articles that were able to assist me with that..

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/stretching_doesnt_work

Hope it helps.

That 2nd link was revolutionary for me when I read it a week ago. I found I had the same issue as that woman but in my right core. I did the side planks and gained another 30 degrees of 'flexibility' to internally rotate my femur on my right side with NO stretching in under a minute :eek:
It just goes to show there is a lot more to flexibility than just stretching.

I read in an interview that BJ Penn stretches for 1/2 an hour before bed every day plus after training.

That guy is supposedly naturally incredibly flexible anyway yet he still feels the need to stretch daily.
Doesn't surprise me because people tend to gravitate to what they are good at. Women also (relative to men) seem to love stretching because they find they are good at it. Many don't like strength training for the same reason.

Haha yeah I know man, Dudes ridiculously flexible. obviously takes it real serious. It was after noticing Diaz' flexibility and seeing him always do extensive stretching before rolling that I thought "hmmm should probably start doing that shit."

the-very-best-of-the-and-quot-that-feel-and-quot-meme.jpg

Im llike 4 fingers away from touching MY ANKLES! .... :icon_cry2:icon_cry2:icon_cry2:icon_cry2:icon_cry2

Back