Flexibility Advice

Ozurumba

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well im still injured for another week (floating rib injury) but im healed up enough to start at least lifting some wieghts and or working on my flexibility. Im in my 2nd month of bjj training. picking it up very well and doing pretty good. but im really worried about getting injured again becuase its tourture not being able to train. so what im wondering is if you guys have any experience/advice on the best ways to get more flexible. and yes i know i coudl just stretch more but just trying to see if there are any actual success stories out there of guys like me who are not flexible at all. and by not flexible i mean i cant even touch my toes. i dont remember the last time i could. shit i cant even sit indian style without my legs lower body falling asleep after 30 secs. haha thats horrible. but i gotta do something. thanks

as you keep sparring you will learn to adjust and flex your bodies in ways that will benefit your jiu jitsu... IMO live sparring will improve your flexibility too, just keep doing it.

Alot of it just comes naturaly to some people....
Flexibility in the hips is the most important..

This sounds funny but being able to put your feet behind your head will benefit you.
Take movements you in see in live sparing and replicate them. Develop them into stretches for your self..

Gsoares2 said:
Alot of it just comes naturaly to some people....
Flexibility in the hips is the most important..

This sounds funny but being able to put your feet behind your head will benefit you.
Take movements you in see in live sparing and replicate them. Develop them into stretches for your self..
Yup, I've been putting my feet behind my head since I was 8 :D and it's helped me in quite a few ways in JJ.

Interestingly I have incredibly inflexible legs - can't nearly touch my toes - but a flexible back and hips, and so I can slink around pretty well. Certain kinds of flexibility are much more useful than others in BJJ.

If you get the book superfit there is a whole stretching routine that you could do everyday in there. It is designed for BJJ. If you have a partner to help you stretch, even better. Realistically...if you want to see vast improvements in your stretching you will need to decide at least 30 minutes a day to stretching. You'd be surprised though at how much gains you will make off the beginning. I would certainly recommend the gracie stretching routine though in the superfit book by royce gracie.

Look to other sports. I use to be a goalie in hockey, so I have great flexability (not to sound cocky).
Also, hold your position when you stretch and furthermore, don't push yourself.

Back