Flattened out in half guard

georgwilhelm**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When my guard is being passed I will often trap one leg of the attacker, when he's trying to go to side control. As a result I will be flattened out beneath him, holding on to one leg. Then he will start to try to get it free and I will work to retain it... but what else can I do, while he is lying on me not doing much and I am being totally flat on the floor (which I know I should not be - but that is a common result of a half defended guard pass).

When my guard is being passed I will often trap one leg of the attacker, when he's trying to go to side control. As a result I will be flattened out beneath him, holding on to one leg. Then he will start to try to get it free and I will work to retain it... but what else can I do, while he is lying on me not doing much and I am being totally flat on the floor (which I know I should not be - but that is a common result of a half defended guard pass).

We just had a similar post come up on this situation. Look to get an underhook. Also use you arms to create space. Sometimes if the guy has a lot of pressure and I know I'm going nowhere, I'll put one butterfly hook in, wait for him to move then use it to unbalance or sweep him.

It's important to trap the leg, obviously, but it's also extremely important to get the under hook on the same side as the leg that's trapped. If you want to see some great teaching about it, check this out:

Now, that was about getting the under hook back. You should, originally when going into half guard, work to get the under hook so that you don't have to do the above video.

Hope that was helpful.

You can use a hook (half butterfly) to sweep or make space to regain your guard, you can fight for the underhook, you can work to block his crossfacing arm, you can try to get onto your side, you can use the bridge sweep if you've got a good bridge and he's over committing to his pressure.

I don't really like deep half or lockdown, but you could fight for those, too. I think it's more efficient to regain some form of full guard though. Z-guard can work well too; makes it really easy to create space.

If I'm flat, I, personally, will either get my other hook in and regain butterfly guard, or I'll bridge sweep him. Both are super high percentage for me.

Use your forearm under his jawline, similar to how your would if you were escaping side control, to create space, then look for either an underhook, or recover your full guard by bumping your hips back underneath.

We just had a similar post come up on this situation. Look to get an underhook. Also use you arms to create space. Sometimes if the guy has a lot of pressure and I know I'm going nowhere, I'll put one butterfly hook in, wait for him to move then use it to unbalance or sweep him.

That butterfly hook along with getting a good grip on their gi pants by their knee has become my go to once flattened out. As soon as I feel a little movement try to pass to side I lift and pull and try to get the sweep. If that fails I will generally regain full guard.

Use your forearm under his jawline, similar to how your would if you were escaping side control, to create space, then look for either an underhook, or recover your full guard by bumping your hips back underneath.

This. I sometimes go to lockdown just long enough to get leverage enough on his leg to pull him down so I can get the space I need to get my arm in under the jaw. Then its frame and go for guard.

T-rex arms are key. An underhook is the first thing you need, but it's an obvious move and top players usually know you're going to fight for it and it's going to be a battle. If you can't immediately get the underhook, keep your elbow pinned to your ribs to prevent your opponent from getting inside.

Also, don't neglect blocking the cross-face. IMO it's just as important from a defensive perspective. Someone with good shoulder pressure can annihilate you with just that.

You fucked up when you let him break your knee-elbow connection (your 'ball') and allowed him to get past your knees and control the inside space. You either need to work to get your knees back between you and him (butterfly hooks, recover full/open guard, invert), or you need to work your way down his body (underhook to single leg, deep half guard) - both of which seek to accomplish the goal of curling up in a ball again.

The inside space, mothafucka - do you control it?

Back