1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

flashy on pads

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by shs101, Jul 20, 2010.

1. shs101 Blue Belt

I've been doing stand up roughly 2 years now and I always sparred,but I realizedlately I've been really flashy and 'good' when doing padwork but when it comes to sparring a lot of shit goes out the window. Maybe I shuld spar more? Or what's the deal.

Thanks

2. SAAMAG San Antonio Applied Martial Arts Group

There's lots of people that look good on pads. Padwork isn't sparring though. While the pads can simulate sparring with respect to the pad holder throwing out the occasional strike or kick for you to counter, it's not the same.

The best way to get good at sparring/fighting...is the activity itself.

3. The_Wall Often Imitated...Never Duplicated

Definitely increase the sparring. Pad work can never replace that.

4. Da Speeit Plutonium Belt Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    You need to shadowbox more.

visualize and pay attention to where youre moving. Really, your imagination is your best friend.

Imagine someone throws a jab at you and just move the way you naturally would. Now take a minute and analyze what you did and really think about whether you moved correctly or not.

Oh, and ill give the same advice i always give in like every thread on this forum:
    If you dont have an upcoming fight, find someone in the same boat AND SPAR HARD. Just go for it. You're probably having trouble with timing and pressure, and the harder you spar, the more you'll get used to it.

5. Ryukyu Damashi Ryukyu Damashi

You need to play spar more. That is where you develop the timing to pull off your flash :)

6. Tsingani White Belt

More sparring.

Hitting pads will work your technique and fitness, while sparring will help your timing.

Everyone can land flashy shots on the pads, its a bit different trying to land them on someone else

7. Boozerguyzer Blue Belt

For me, I didn't realize how important it was to keep your eyes on your opponent at all times when doing pad work and never realized my failure to do that until I started getting tagged in sparring. Things like that don't really make themselves known unless your coach catches and corrects it or it gets you punched in the face. More sparring, hard and soft. I like light sparring just to play around with footwork and spacing; if i know I'm not gonna get my lights put out I feel more comfortable breaking out of my old "safe" habits and trying new things that may help. hard sparring, however, is equally important as that's where you find out which of those techniques really work for you.

8. Rado Blue Belt

Hate to do this but...As Mr.Lee said in Enter the Dragon, "Pads, uh, boards don't hit back" :D

9. hughes fan Silver Belt

The best way to become more comfortable with sparring and utilize techniques more is to spar.

10. surfer dude Blue Belt

Yeah, a definite no brainer.

But, I'll respond to the specific issue of "when it comes to sparring a lot of shit goes out the window."

It does not matter if it is grappling or stand up, remember it is just training. I.E. your ass is not on the line, and it won't affect your record or paycheck. So, for example, if there are combos you are lighting up the pads with, that "go out the window" when you spar, premeditate them. Try to find the opportunity to throw them every time you spar. But, do not force them or "go to the well" too may times with the same one.

Do not worry about getting scored on, or looking less than stellar, work on what you want to and/or, need to, work on.

11. MajorTom Purple Belt

Also, timing and footwork. Footwork will allow you to get in the position to throw those flashy punches. With pads, you start in the perfect position to throw a punch/kick. With a mobile target, footwork helps you get into that perfect position quickly enough, timing will tell you when to throw the combination/punches so they land.