fix my program

3 dimensional

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks in advance for reading/assisting.

Finally able to grapple, again. That is my priority.

My weekly routine will be as follows:

Day 1: OHP/Dead Lift + skills training
Day 2: skills training + Road Work 120-150 BPM 40+ mins
Day 3: OFF
Day 4: Squat/Bench + skills training
Day 5: skills training + Road Work 120-150 BPM 40+ mins
Day 6: OFF
Day 7: OFF or skills training or Road Work 120-150 BPM 40+ mins

Skills training isn’t intense UNLESS I roll…

Should I be rolling more often?
Should I add another day of road work/skills training?
is this ok?

Ask questions so I can better assist you in aiding me. Thanks again.

Last edited:
If skills training is the main priority then do as much as possible. Lifting 2x per week (OHP/DL and BP/Squat) is a great set-up. Would that be using 5/3/1? I'd fill out assistance with some single leg work (Single Leg RDLs or walking lunges etc) and rows/chins.

How much road work you do depends on skills training. I'd add more skills training over roadwork at this stage. Then add roadwork on top of that at a later stage if/when conditioning becomes a problem.

How much road work you do depends on skills training. I'd add more skills training over roadwork at this stage. Then add roadwork on top of that at a later stage if/when conditioning becomes a problem.

if my plan was to focus on conditioning/endurance, do i leave the roadwork in? add full-on sparring? replace sparring with roadwork, etc...?

i wouldn't say i am conditioned... am somewhat a novice.

if my plan was to focus on conditioning/endurance, do i leave the roadwork in? add full-on sparring? replace sparring with roadwork, etc...?

If you're going to lift, you need to do lunges and rows/pull downs/chin ups, etc. Need to build pulling strength and leg flexibility and strength. Lunges work your core as well.

If you're focused on conditioning, don't weight train like a bodybuilder for mass gains. Try to roll as often as possible and listen to your body about roadwork/recovery days off.

The more often you spar, the better.

The more you spar consecutively, the better, at least for building endurance and ability to continue to work.

Roadwork and other conditioning stuff should be supplemental to your endurance building coming from your combat sport, not the other way around.

I honestly think you should be adding either a day of lifting or kind of combining the 2 days of lifting if you plan on sticking to only 2 days a week lifting. You aren't going to make tremendous strength gains only working a movement once a week unless you are completely new to lifting. It could work if you have appropriate accessory movements in your program as well. You need to be doing some sort of pulling movement like rows or pull ups as well to counter all the pressing.

I don't see a point in having 3 days off in a 7 day a week schedule. I'd at least use one of those days for low intensity cardio or skill training. In fact, I'd do at least some low intensity skill training daily if possible.

Road work might not be the best form of cardio for you in my opinion. I'm assuming you are doing it for performance in grappling and/or combative sports, not a sport where you must run for long periods. I'd choose something lower impact on your joints for steady state cardio if that's what you want to do. That or you could replace it with some type of HIIT like sprints, burpees, etc. The best thing to do would be to incorporate a skill training drill into an HIIT type conditioning workout.

If rolling's your priority then 3 x a week would be optimal. Instead of long roadwork maybe look into HIIT style workouts or some of Ross Enamait's track workouts. You should get a decent endurance/cardio sport specific base from rolling more. For strength, consider doing the same workout twice a week (i.e. for example both workouts during the week would be squat/bench/OHP or whatever). Make sure your strength workouts have some sort of progression model, as well as a programmed de-load week.

G

i think i might be misunderstanding Joel Jamieson's Ultimate MMA conditioning ... looks like i may have to do this all over again. anybody program with this, (if you don't mind helping me out) pm me...

Back