Five UK/Irish fighters that could be UFC bound in 2015?

AlexDillon1

White Belt
Reaction score
http://www.kingdommma.co.uk/2015/01/five-domestic-fighters-that-could-be.html

Here are mine, Steven Ray (CW champion), Pietro Menga, Brendan Loughnane, Danny Roberts, Paul Redmond. These guys are either on Cage Warriors or BAMMA so on the brisk of bigger things IMO.

Not sure how many UK MMA guys are on here but I'd like your views too.

P.s sorry if this is the wrong place to put it, I did think it was kind of relevant to the UFC though?

Arnold Allen, and Tom Duquesnoy. They're both 9-1 featherweights, and Tom's one of BAMMA's champions.

Edit: Tom's French, but fights in the UK, so I wasn't sure if that counted. Also, Pavel Doroftei. He's a fighter from Moldova, but is based in and fights in the UK.

Last edited:
Only one I've heard of there is Danny Roberts as I've trained at the place he fights out of couple times, really good standup but struggles when it comes to grappling from the fights i've seen of his on youtube.

Arnold Allen, and Tom Duquesnoy. They're both 9-1 featherweights, and Tom's one of BAMMA's champions.

Tom Duquesnoy is French no?

There isn't an awful lot of talent coming out of the UK. MMA will never take off in the UK. Boxing seems to be going from strength to strength over here and i just can't see people caring about MMA anytime soon.

I was looking forward to the debut of Leon Edwards but he lost lol, It was frustrating watching him lose that fight because you could see he was a class above his opponent when it came to striking ability, speed, power, accuracy but he had absolutely no Fight IQ or TDD. The gyms in the uk just seem so far behind and it isn't just the lack of Wrestling. Ireland, Sweden and Denmark all have well known gyms and coaches that produce top fighters and they too have no wrestling culture.

If the coaches and gyms don't drastically improve in the UK then naturally talented prospects like Leon Edwards, Michael Page, Jack McGann, Danny Roberts, Arnold Allen, Marc Diakiese, Chris Fishgold etc. will continue to be wasted.

I could see Tom Breese and Karl Moore finding their way to the ufc. Not in 2015 though. They tend to let the UK/Irish fighters grow more before snatching them up.

Tom Duquesnoy is French no?

There isn't an awful lot of talent coming out of the UK. MMA will never take off in the UK. Boxing seems to be going from strength to strength over here and i just can't see people caring about MMA anytime soon.

I was looking forward to the debut of Leon Edwards but he lost lol, It was frustrating watching him lose that fight because you could see he was a class above his opponent when it came to striking ability, speed, power, accuracy but he had absolutely no Fight IQ or TDD. The gyms in the uk just seem so far behind and it isn't just the lack of Wrestling. Ireland, Sweden and Denmark all have well known gyms and coaches that produce top fighters and they too have no wrestling culture.

If the coaches and gyms don't drastically improve in the UK then naturally talented prospects like Leon Edwards, Michael Page, Jack McGann, Danny Roberts, Arnold Allen, Marc Diakiese, Chris Fishgold etc. will continue to be wasted.

They had the opportunity to go to Ch5 and be on free TV opening them up to the whole country, instead they went with BT Sports and MMA has practically disappeared from the mainstream.

You don't grow a niche sport on pay TV(at least not in the UK), UFC really dropped the ball on that one.

Is he not Irish?

Article talks about "domestic fighters" from the "UK MMA" scene. He only stuck Irish in the thread title here. Seems weird to include Redmond on there, he only fought in the UK twice and isn't from there.

6 of the top of my head that could, realitically.

Brett Johsn
Brendan Loughnane
Lewis Long
Mike Wootten
Pietro Menga
Tom Breese

Article talks about "domestic fighters" from the "UK MMA" scene. He only stuck Irish in the thread title here. Seems weird to include Redmond on there, he only fought in the UK twice and isn't from there.

by domestic i meant ireland scotland etc, sorry for not making it clearer, Im a UK writer but would call Ireland domestic based on the fact Cage Warriors is pretty domestic, it wasn't an error if thats what it looks like!

6 of the top of my head that could, realitically.

Brett Johsn
Brendan Loughnane
Lewis Long
Mike Wootten
Pietro Menga
Tom Breese

Think Breese will do it in 2016 personally! bit of a way back from injury but hes a solid talent

by domestic i meant ireland scotland etc, sorry for not making it clearer, Im a UK writer but would call Ireland domestic based on the fact Cage Warriors is pretty domestic, it wasn't an error if thats what it looks like!

I'm from Ireland an I find it strange that you include Irish fighters as "domestic" when referring to the UK because we're not in the same country. So it was weird to include Redmond. Like I said he's only fought there twice. Anderson Silva is more of a "domestic" "UK MMA" fighter than Paul Redmond is, he has fought there more.

Back