Fitting Instruction For A Double Mouthguard ??

keeshen1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just ordered the lime green colored Shock Doctor Double power mouthguard. It's suppose to protect the upper and lower teeth. I haven't boil and bite it yet as I'm reading the instructions on it. It says as soon as I take it out of the boiling water, fit it in my upper teeth first. And then bring my lower jaw forward and bite down hard. Bringing my lower jaw forward, hmmm..... Wouldn't that give me an underbite? I'm bringing my jaw forward as of right now and it feels awkward and sore. Imagine what it feels like when I'm biting down on a mouthguard in an underbite position and getting hit. OUCH!

Are all double mouthguards fitting instructions the same? Why can't I just normal bite it without bringing my lower jaw forward? Kinda strange if you ask me.

Anyone using a brain pad or shock doctor double mouthguard? How did you custom fit it?

Last edited:
I don't think you're supposed to bring your jaw forward so far that you have and underbite. Just make sure your teeth line up. In any regards, I don't know anyone who uses a double mouth guard for competition of sparring. Singles seem to bother your breathing less and you don't have to take them out to drink water or talk to someone. My advice would be to invest in a custom guard. They last forever and fit so snugly you usually have to pry them off. A custom guard may cost $100 but dental work can cost thousands, so its worth it. Try OPRO Mouthguards -- The World's Favourite Mouthguard or Las Vegas Chompers

I have opros (bought 2 for $140) and have had them for well over a year. My friends have LV chompers and love them.

What about lower teeth protection? You saying a $100 "custom" single mouthguard that only protects your upper teeth is better than a double guard brain pad that protects your upper and lower teeth?

I have the same one. You don't have to do all that crap. Just boil it, put it in your mouth and then suck and make sure it sits tight. Then take it out and let it cool for a while. If done correctly the fit should be excellent. In order to get mine out i really have to rip it out. And that's the way it should be.

To me this is the best mouthguard out there. I don't have to worry about closing my mouth to protect my jaw because the mouthguard does it automatically. I don't have to open my mouth to breath either, all i have to do is open my lips. My mouth stays closed. Yet i'm breathing.

By the way Diego Sanchez uses this one as well. That should tell you somthing about the quality of this mouthguard if a guy who could easily afford million custom mouthguards prefer a boil & bite.

What about lower teeth protection? You saying a $100 "custom" single mouthguard that only protects your upper teeth is better than a double guard brain pad that protects your upper and lower teeth?

I really don't know of many people who get their bottom teeth knocked out. The lower jaw is design to move back and forth and side to side to the blows you take get dispersed some what. I've heard that an incorrectly molded double can put your jaw in a weird position and actually make it easier to injure.

Try this site's explanation: Mouth guards: What are some of the features that the best mouthguards (football protectors, sports mouthpieces) will have?

B) Considerations associated with the style and shape of the mouthguard.

Most sports mouthpieces are designed so they only cover over the athlete's upper teeth and jaw. The characteristics of a person's upper and lower jaws are quite different. The lower jaw is capable of a wide range of motion. This means that when a blow lands on the jaw or teeth some of the force of the blow will be buffered by the jaw's reactive motion. In contrast the upper jaw is fixed in position. A relatively greater portion of the force of the blow will have to be directly absorbed by the teeth and jaw bone. This difference in anatomy, the way the upper jaw is fixed in position, is one reason why a person's center two upper teeth are the most likely teeth to be damaged by an accident.

Some mouthguards are designed so they cover over both the upper and lower jaws. This design does provide a greater level of protection for the lower teeth and may possibly provide greater protection for the jaw joint. In some instances this type of mouthpiece can be relatively more uncomfortable to wear and therefore an athlete may not use it as consistently as a single arch guard. Clearly dual coverage mouthguards can be a good idea for those athletes who are undergoing orthodontic treatment (wear braces) and therefore require lip and cheek protection from their brackets and wires.

Whatever you choose, custom is the way to go. My advice is to try both single and double and see which is more comfortable to you. Then invest in a custom guard.

By the way Diego Sanchez uses this one as well. That should tell you somthing about the quality of this mouthguard if a guy who could easily afford million custom mouthguards prefer a boil & bite.

What about Karo Parysian (sp?). He had one fight where he kept either spitting out his mouthpiece or having his mouthguard knocked out. Even Joe Rogan commented on how he must have been wearing a cheap boil and bite rather than a custom guard. There's a reason why MOST pro fighters wear custom guards.

sfortune85, my dentist said lower teeth are naturally weaker than upper teeth. For example, someone that never had dental insurance while growing up, never went to the dentist for teeth cleaning. By the time he reach 40 or 50, his lower teeth will fall out before his upper teeth will. Upper teeth have stronger roots than lower teeth.

Is there something you might know that I don't know about mouthguards? Please share. I just find it strange that an upper custom mouthguard will be safer than a double mouthguard for all teeth.

What about Karo Parysian (sp?). He had one fight where he kept either spitting out his mouthpiece or having his mouthguard knocked out. Even Joe Rogan commented on how he must have been wearing a cheap boil and bite rather than a custom guard. There's a reason why MOST pro fighters wear custom guards.
Why are you arguing? If Sanchez feels like this Power Double gives him better protection then i don't know what's there to argue about.

And why do you make it sound like all boil & bites are the same? There are cheap ones for 2 bucks that don't sit tight and that don't offer much protection, and then you have premium ones that almost cost as much as a custom mouthguard. So don't mix it up.

And the reason why most fighters in the UFC wear the custom one is that fight dentist is sponsoring them. The fighters are getting told to get their mouthguard from fight dentist so they can advertise and show off the fighters that wear their mouthguards. If fight dentist wasn't sponsoring them you wouldn't see many fighters wear their mouthguards. A lot of them would be wearing the premium boil & bites.

sfortune85, my dentist said lower teeth are naturally weaker than upper teeth. For example, someone that never had dental insurance while growing up, never went to the dentist for teeth cleaning. By the time he reach 40 or 50, his lower teeth will fall out before his upper teeth will. Upper teeth have stronger roots than lower teeth.

Is there something you might know that I don't know about mouthguards? Please share. I just find it strange that an upper custom mouthguard will be safer than a double mouthguard for all teeth.

It's not "strange", it's bullshit.

If you land a clean shot to your chin and you have a single mouthguard some of your lower teeth could get knocked out. Especially if you don't close your mouth at all times. Especially in MMA or Muay Thai where you don't have huge gloves on and where you can kick, use knees and elbows. In boxing it's almost impossible to knock anyones teeth out because of the gloves and because you can't use any other body part. If you get an elbow or knee to your mouth you better pray you have a double on otherwise you could lose some teeth.

Don't listen to the people that own a custom mouthguard, they'll always tell you that you will lose all your teeth, suffer from brain damage and die a painful death in the ring unless you get a custom one.

BTW Did you guys see Sanchez after that Penn fight, after what Penn did to him? His whole face was destroyed. He had a ridiculous cut on his forehead. His nose, eyes, cheeks, his lips were fucked. The only thing that looked brand new were his teeth. And the guy took about 50 clean shots to the mouth during that fight. If you need any more proof that the Power Double is an excellent mouthguard then i can't help you.

Custom ones have a better fit, but i feel like m

Haha never seen someone get so upset about their shock doctor bnb. My point is MOST fighters, amateur or pro, wear a single. If doubles were so much better why wouldn't they be more commonplace?

And as for custom guards, I've had mine close 1.5 years and I use it at least 4 days out of the week. I've never had a bnb last more than a month or two before it was so loose that I couldn't talk without it falling out. I used to use the shock doctor ultra, but I stopped after I bit through 2 of them since they gel underneath was so thin. Maybe that's just me and the way my teeth are shaped, but my custom guards are fine because they are made just for me. One of them is the cheapest model that Opro makes ($57), and it is still thicker than any bnb, including shock doctor's ultra stc (which is $25), that I've PERSONALLY used. Hell Shock doctor even makes their own custom guard and hails it's benefits over a bnb. Of course they're trying to make a buck, but facts are facts: custom guards are longer lasting, fit better and are usually thicker than a boil and bite.

If you land a clean shot to your chin and you have a single mouthguard some of your lower teeth could get knocked out. Especially if you don't close your mouth at all times. Especially in MMA or Muay Thai where you don't have huge gloves on and where you can kick, use knees and elbows. In boxing it's almost impossible to knock anyones teeth out because of the gloves and because you can't use any other body part. If you get an elbow or knee to your mouth you better pray you have a double on otherwise you could lose some teeth.

I've been kicked, kneed and elbowed (in bjj) with my single on and never lost a tooth. Everyone I've ever seen lose or get their teeth knocked out last lost one from the top row. The top row is fixed to the skull and therefore doesn't move. You hit it hard enough, if falls out. The bottom row is attached to the lower jaw which can track back and forth. When you get hit in the jaw, your jaw moves back into your skull and some of the impact is absorbed.

Custom ones have a better fit, but i feel like m

sfortune85, after I got my braces off 10 years ago when I was a senior in high school, my orthodontist made a positioner mouthguard. It's a double mouthguard but it's designed to move your teeth to the final position before you wear a retainer.

It looks like this:
YouTube - Orthodontic Positioner

I wonder if I can ask my old orthodontist to make me that type of custom mouthpiece again but the only purpose is to protect my teeth while engaging in contact sports.

Back