Fitting in your running- when do you do it?

AU1977

White Belt
Reaction score
How do people on here fit their running into their schedule? thsi is something I always struggle with.

If I have a fight coming up I will be doing skill work about 4-5 nights per week.

If I do long slow distance work in the morning it does not affect my skill training, but if I was out doing a session of HIIT sprints/ tabata/ Hills in the morning I would be tured at night.

Similarly a weights session to be good really need a day on its own to be performed.

How do you all fit it in? If I done it after my skill session/ pads/ sparring/ heavy bag I would be tired and would not do my running well.

If you're doing lots of skill why can't you pick up the pace on some nights and count that as fitness work.

I almost don't understand your question.

Almost

I just don't do it very often. I consider running 1-2x per week sufficient, if you are doing plenty of other GPP. You're a fighter, not a runner.

In order of priority...
Skill work>GPP/S&P(equal emphasis for MMA, IMO)>Sprint/High-intensity running>LSD

It's hard to do both. With summer up here I am mountain biking instead of running and have been alternating weights / riding every other day. Basically my lifting has taken second priority to riding (it's an adrenaline thing).

Anyway I have to race a 10 m trail run in October and will have to run once a week at least.

I will probably wake up early in the morning for this as I usually lift around 9 PM.

Due to the endurance factor of long runs/rides my lifting is suffering so I think it's true that if you are in a serious discipline you have to concentrate on one or the other...

I'm doing distance running in the mornings 3-4 days a week before work. Skill work/sparring in the evenings after work, and Ill add some GPP or conditioning work after the skill session. Once a week, usually on a saturday when I have more time, Ill run intervals and sprints, plyos, etc.

I'm doing distance running in the mornings 3-4 days a week before work. Skill work/sparring in the evenings after work, and Ill add some GPP or conditioning work after the skill session. Once a week, usually on a saturday when I have more time, Ill run intervals and sprints, plyos, etc.

Define long distance

If its less then 6 miles I'm contacting a admin

At the moment I am doing
Monday- 3-5 miles run AM/ Boxing PM
Tuesday- Strength weights PM
Wednesday- 3-5 miles AM/ Boxing PM
Thursday- Rest
Friday- 3-5 miles run AM/ Strength weights PM
Saturday- Boxing
Sunday- Muay Thai, possibly a run in the morning.

I am only running for fat loss just now in a dummy run too see how low I can actually get.
If I had a fight coming up however I would probably want to be doing 1x LSD run, 1x HIIT, 1 x Hill sprints per week and its just trying to work out where to put it in.
I would probably drop the weights to 1 day per week in the 3-4 weeks preceding th efight, that is what I have done before which leaves another day for conditioning.

At the moment I am doing
Thursday- Rest
Saturday- Boxing

I am only running for fat loss just now in a dummy run too see how low I can actually get.
If I had a fight coming up however I would probably want to be doing 1x LSD run, 1x HIIT, 1 x Hill sprints per week and its just trying to work out where to put it in.
I would probably drop the weights to 1 day per week in the 3-4 weeks preceding th efight, that is what I have done before which leaves another day for conditioning.

At the moment I am doing
Thursday- Rest
Saturday- Boxing

3-4 weeks out I would drop the lifting totally. You're not going to get any strong and to be fair you won't get any weaker, your lifting volume will go down, but you're going to be fighting where maximal output is important, not how many reps you can get at 90% 1 rep.

I would do some light conditioning or a rest day saturday

Boxing fighter or Thai fighter?

3-4 weeks out I would drop the lifting totally. You're not going to get any strong and to be fair you won't get any weaker, your lifting volume will go down, but you're going to be fighting where maximal output is important, not how many reps you can get at 90% 1 rep.

I would do some light conditioning or a rest day saturday

Boxing fighter or Thai fighter?

I ve been doing Muay Thai for the last few years and had 7 fights, but I am concentrating more on boxing just now. Planning of fighting in Boxing and se hwo I go.

I ve been doing Muay Thai for the last few years and had 7 fights, but I am concentrating more on boxing just now. Planning of fighting in Boxing and se hwo I go.

better paid I would think

I would try if I were you to find a low work day/rest day every now and then on top of thursday.

Age?

edit- other commitments (they all effect recovery...unfortunately)

I do it at night, but it is an easy way to fit in a workout in a time crunch.

better paid I would think

I would try if I were you to find a low work day/rest day every now and then on top of thursday.

Age?

edit- other commitments (they all effect recovery...unfortunately)

I am 27 mate, at Muay Thai I was fighting at 85kgs, which doesnt exist in Amatuer boxing, so I need to choose betwen 81kgs and 91kgs, I am doing a dummy run cut just now to see how close I can get to 81kgs, but I doubt very much I will reach there particularly on a same day weigh in. So 91kgs looks more likely.

I cant get more fights probably in boxing, and I would hope that I would be able to recover quicker between fights as my legs and shins are banged up for 2-4 weeks after a Muay Thai fight. As youi say the money for boxing is also better which is nice.:icon_chee

I am 27 mate, at Muay Thai I was fighting at 85kgs, which doesnt exist in Amatuer boxing, so I need to choose betwen 81kgs and 91kgs, I am doing a dummy run cut just now to see how close I can get to 81kgs, but I doubt very much I will reach there particularly on a same day weigh in. So 91kgs looks more likely.

I cant get more fights probably in boxing, and I would hope that I would be able to recover quicker between fights as my legs and shins are banged up for 2-4 weeks after a Muay Thai fight. As youi say the money for boxing is also better which is nice.:icon_chee

Height?

Full time work?

Morning weigh ins?

Was that supposed to say can get more fights in boxing?

Yeah, with thai it's hard to fight week after week, but I think you have fight almost every week baring injury with boxing (with thai as you said you're ALWAYS going to be walking funny for atleast a few days).

Isn't that the truth. Pay is pants with thai

Height?

Full time work?

Morning weigh ins?

Was that supposed to say can get more fights in boxing?

Yeah, with thai it's hard to fight week after week, but I think you have fight almost every week baring injury with boxing (with thai as you said you're ALWAYS going to be walking funny for atleast a few days).

Isn't that the truth. Pay is pants with thai

I work full time in a college, so i am on my arse most of the day 9-4pm

It will be morning weigh ins with boxing I imagine

Yes I could get a fight practicaly every week in boxing if I wanted, once per mopnth would do me- 10 fights a year is a decent number to look for I reckon- extra few grand in my pocket as well.

I am 6ft 5 in tall mate.

I work full time in a college, so i am on my arse most of the day 9-4pm

It will be morning weigh ins with boxing I imagine

Yes I could get a fight practicaly every week in boxing if I wanted, once per mopnth would do me- 10 fights a year is a decent number to look for I reckon- extra few grand in my pocket as well.

I am 6ft 5 in tall mate.

I'm sat a desk job too, 9.30 until 6pm.

Tall lad huh, I'm 25, 5 11 and 83 kg.

I was considering getting in some unlicensed boxing fights. I've been told 3.5k is 'relatively' easy to get a fight, but you have to sell the tickets and I am terrible at selling things/myself

Back