Fistic Medicine: Staph Infection

skeevy

White Belt
Reaction score
I was reading the article on the front page about staph and this paragraph really blew me away:

In time MRSA, and eventually the very difficult to treat VRSA, will become as ubiquitous as simple S. aureus -- 30 percent of the U.S. population will be colonized. Virtually every grappler will have it. Many of the people grapplers are in close contact with -- their children and love ones -- will suffer S. aureus-related diseases. When that time comes, the number of infections will be much higher and the recovery ratio will be much lower. At that point athletes, trainers, promoters and doctors will take the disease -- and it

Good article. Your quote I think is more of a worst case scenerio, the-world-is-coming-to-an-end-the-zombies-are-here kinda thing. But yeah, it is still a serious issue.

Personally, I think it's just a matter of people not being slobs and taking care of hygiene. I always take a quick shower before class, and then a looooong one after class (one reason being for cleanliness, and two cause I'm fucking sore).

Last edited:
I shower a good three times a day and always directly following a practice - still have gotten ring worm on multiple occasions. Not staph yet, but man, it still wouldn't shock me despite my meticulous hygiene.

I don't agree thats it's just a matter of hygiene. Would it help? Yes, but the genes that confer resistance to methicillins and vancomycin enhance the survivability of the organisms that have them that it is just a matter of time before ubiquitous. The author not saying this may happen, but will happen, and I agree with him. I hope it doesn't result in a world-is-coming-to-an-end-the-zombies-are-here kinda thing though. :)

I shower a good three times a day and always directly following a practice - still have gotten ring worm on multiple occasions. Not staph yet, but man, it still wouldn't shock me despite my meticulous hygiene.

Pleased to meet you, Howard Hughes.

lol One good reason to do stand-up martial arts. :p

Back