Fishing Your God

Lord Coke

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Article is about twenty-three Alaskan tribesmen who broke the law when they overfished king salmon, but they claim their faith gave them no other choice.People don't realize that these villages have become essentially 'third world' countries and as rising water levels continue to devastate the communities until they are no more, the wealthiest state in the nation will continue to turn a blind eye . They've survived thousands of years without 'overfishing' or causing harm to the salmon population.

Its a very good article but long. I won't do it the disservice of posting a snippet. Just click the link and read here. http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/06/when-global-warming-kills-your-god/372015/

Everytime I consume a burger, I am eating the gods of the Hindus, and I make they know this whenever they are around me eating a burger

But with Alaska getting warmer, does this not actually help them? They may be able to start some real agriculture now. That is a much better way to get food than hunting isn't it?

That story hits close to home.

There are many items which factor into dwindling salmon runs in Alaska. Even in my lifetime I have seen streams teeming with salmon eventually turn into no-fishing zones due to low return numbers. Commercial fishing, mining, and oil extraction are as much a factor as warming temperatures.

Before it was commonplace for Native people in Alaska to be nomadic, follow the food source. Given the large amount of land now 'owned' by our federal government a nomadic lifestyle isn't possible. People are forced to remain in one place, which adds stress on food and water sources in those immediate areas.

Villages are swallowed whole by the ocean or river banks, but that's been reality for a long time. The tundra is fragile. When you build a village in close proximity to a water source you've got to be ready to move out in a hurry. Alaska is an ever changing landscape.

I've never heard of the gods these men speak of. I speak a dialect which is similar to Yup'ik. Though life and culture of each individual village can be drastically different from the next.

If the creator brings fish to the people, what does the creator bring to the fish? It would seem to me that often the first to suffer from a lack of what they need, are not us humans. It does not begin and end with us; a reality we ought to not overlook or forget.

Too long
Didn't read

I started dancing

At first glance I thought the thread title was "Fisting your God" and I thought to myself, now THERE'S a religion worth looking into.

It is sad that we make indigenous people conform to the way we leave.

If would have left then to their own devices, and be able to freely like they have always done, this problem wouldn't have happened.

Such is life.

Back