Fish

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Fenderson, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Fenderson

Fenderson Purple Belt

Hi guys

After years of foolishly ignoring eating fish I've now implemented it into my diet (1. Because its cheap with high protein 2. Because it doesn't taste so bad after all)

How often is sensible to eat fish? It's the tinned variety (sardines, Mackeral, tuna) I was hoping to eat it 4 times a week and swap between fish and chicken on a day to day basis. Thanks.

2. superking

superking Poet — Traveler — Soldier of Fortune

I usually eat fish twice a week. Two cans of tuna for lunch one day, and usually some sort of white fish or sometimes salmon as a dinner.

White fish + a pat of butter + a slice of lemon or lime + fresh dill, wrapped in tinfoil and baked in the oven. So good.

3. rikwebb

rikwebb Purple Belt

If you revolve them around each day you should be good. Salmon's a good fish to have too.

4. golvmopp

golvmopp Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Dont know how good a contant reliance of tinned fish is for you in the long run, this coming from someone who at one point had one or two cans of tuna on a daily basis.

Try stuff like pangasius or alaskan pollock - it's the cheapest of fish and completely transparent in flavour, which means it takes to any form of seasoning extremely well. Salmon is very good too.

5. Tayski

Tayski Stand-up Fighting

you can eat fish instead of meat whenever, there's actually nothing wrong with eating fish everyday.
    good source of protein, low fat, most fish especially the dark ones (salmon, tuna, sardines, etc.) are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, good for the heart and brain.
    Fish have been shown to be an important diet of many long-lived peoples around the world.

some the healthiest fish to eat: tuna, salmon, sardines, rainbow trout, halibut, mackerel, sablefish, etc.

6. scottm

scottm Green Belt

I shoot for 3-5 times a week, but sometimes there are weeks I go without. All depends on freshness of what's in the stores - living on the great lakes is good certain times of years.

I usually stick with the low mercury level fish and try to stay away from farmed as much as possible ...
    Anchovies
    Butterfish
    Catfish
    Clam
    Crab (Domestic)
    Crawfish/Crayfish
    Croaker (Atlantic)
    Flounder*
    Haddock (Atlantic)*
    Hake
    Herring
    Mackerel (N. Atlantic, Chub)
    Mullet
    Oyster
    Perch (Ocean)
    Plaice
    Pollock
    Salmon (Canned)**
    Salmon (Fresh)**
    Sardine
    Scallop*
    Shad (American)
    Shrimp*
    Sole (Pacific)
    Squid (Calamari)
    Tilapia
    Trout (Freshwater)
    Whitefish
    Whiting

Tuna I try to keep to 1 or 2(max) cans a week of chunk light, as they carry moderate mercury levels, the albacore is high.

7. Chules

Chules @UVEE'S BESTIE

Mackerel is probably the best one I've found for myself, in terms of the price and what you get. Eat it as many times as you feel like really, I wouldn't say there's a rule of how much you should eat in a week.

8. Fenderson

Fenderson Purple Belt

Thanks guys, just the answer i was hoping to get. Its appreciated.

9. KOnah

KOnah Red Belt

Mackerel is a high omega-3 fish too.

I would avoid Pacific/Alaskan fish though (Fukushima)... In general I think fish is much more healthy and natural for us to eat than meat, it seems to digest easier/faster/better too, no i don't have a source, just anecdotal.

10. 7wtc911

7wtc911 Banned Banned

Pretty sure its OK to eat fish every day if you wanted.

Just don't have too much fried fish, etc.