Fish protein powder

Chrono

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Has anyone tried fish protein powder? If so care to share your experience?

For people who have ibs/ibd or can't tolerate milk or egg protein it's supposed to be especially healthy since fish protein hydrolysate is very easy for the human digestive tract to absorb.

The obvious answer is of course to eat more fish, but if the powder doesn't taste to bad it would be a very convenient protein and omega-3 source since all of the fat in the powder is omega-3.

I haven't found any stores that sell it other than two in New Zealand and one in Australia.

Nutrional facts for the powder from this store BULK Manufacturers Fish Protein

Protein : >90%
Digestibility: >97%
Fat: <3%

The problem here is that they only sell it in bulk, and the minimum order is 300kg!

Another store that also sell powder for human consumption but the online store has been down for years: Matilda Nutritionals - Fish Protein Powder.

The powder from the third site Fish Protein Powder - Human Health Products - AromaNZ.

It has the following supplement facts:

MOISTURE g/100g 3.5
ASH g/100g 2.0
PROTEIN g/100g 89.0
CARBOHYDRATES g/100g < 0.1
FAT g/100g 6.0
ENERGY kJowles/100g 1690
kCal/100g 400

GMO-Free and Non-Gamma irradiated.
Eligible for export worldwide including USA and European Union.
Available in large volumes and ensuring prompt delivery to your store.
Every production batch is tested by an Independent Laboratory.

I'm pretty sure it smells like Stockfish, but I'm a bit worried about the taste and if it will dissolve properly. I sent an email to the last website inquiring about the price for a 10 kg carton and the expiration date. I'll post it as soon as I get a reply.

So I got a reply from AromaNZ today. They wanted NZ$60.00 per kg which I believe is 43 or 44 US$. It doesn't include shipment so the price is way to high.

So I got a reply from AromaNZ today. They wanted NZ$60.00 per kg which I believe is 43 or 44 US$. It doesn't include shipment so the price is way to high.

60 whole dollary-doos!?

The minimum order is 10 kg add customs fees and shipment across half the world ,at least for me, it's just not worth it.

The minimum order is 10 kg add customs fees and shipment across half the world ,at least for me, it's just not worth it.

Not just worth it, fuck me son. That's $600 for nearly 22lbs excluding shipping and tax.
For a equivalent of whey it would be $120 at most and that probably includes shipping and tax.

whey is a byproduct of cheese production. it makes sense to use this as a supplement.

I can't use whey or egg protein, so I use rice protein and it works quite well, for a decent price. Taste is not half bad and easy to mask. Blends ok.

I can't use whey or egg protein, so I use rice protein and it works quite well, for a decent price. Taste is not half bad and easy to mask. Blends ok.

I've tried most forms of protein powder, Whey, Casein, Egg, Soy, Beef,Hemp, Pea and Rice, fish protein is the only one I've got left to try. Rice protein can vary a lot in taste and texture. First time I tried it, it tasted like sand mixed in water. I forget the brand, but it was horrible. The rice powder from Nutribiotic is alright though.

It might be cheaper to quit your job, charter a helicopter to Alaska, and get dropped into a river where you can hunt for salmon with a golden spear.

Hehe true :)

I will probably have to resurrect this thread in a few of years. A Norwegian company has just done a cost benefit analysis for the American marked in regards to fish protein, and they estimated that potential earnings will be between 45 - 60 million dollars a year. The challenge now lies in finding a way to remove or camouflage the smell and taste.

According to one of the companies that are working towards selling fish protein on the American marked, they still have a lot of hurdles to overcome before you will see any products in the store, but in the near future you might see the following in your locale health store:

FPE &#8211;Fish Protein Extract
SPE &#8211;Salmon Protein Extract
SPP &#8211;Shrimp Protein Powder
AFP &#8211;Arctic Fish Powder

I would be eating my fish to get the protein and not buy a powder that costs way more with way less enjoyment.

Back