First Welterweight fight for Benson ?

andy18_1

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I don't personally think it is a great idea for him, he is going to be losing his size and strength advantage and he doesn't have the stopping power the majority of the welterweights do standing up. I doubt he will be getting too easy of a tune up fight being a former champion, but who would you like him to fight first? My pick is either the winner of Alves vs Mein next weekend or Matt Brown if he loses against Hendricks

Bendo vs. Gunnar Nelson would be really fun.

I think thats a good fight,winner of Alves Vs Mein takes on Bendo.

Ellenberger is also a good fight for him I think.

I dunno though overall this seems like a bad move.

Strange move. Doesn't have much of a reach. Will be on the smaller side. He will be quicker than the avg WW, but not by much. Doesn't have the power to overwhelm, though he hasn't done that much at LW of late anyway...

Loser of Hendricks-Brown or Rory-Lombard. Benson's a former LW champ and perennial top 5 in that division, and as such shouldn't be thrown a bone in his step up in weight class.

I thought he wasn't going to WW. I thought he wanted the LW title back. Besides he doesn't look that huge. Ya, he's a big dude but Cowboy looked bigger IMO.

Maia would be interesting.

Nelson would be like a LW fight.

I thought he wasn't going to WW. I thought he wanted the LW title back. Besides he doesn't look that huge. Ya, he's a big dude but Cowboy looked bigger IMO.

He released a statement after the Cerrone fight saying he would be going up to welterweight

He released a statement after the Cerrone fight saying he would be going up to welterweight

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks. I thought he said he was moving up a little while ago, then changed his mind and stayed at LW. I guess after his loss he realized it would take to long to work his way up the LW ladder again. Although WW ladder is pretty jam packed right now too.

He would beat Gunnar Nelson. That's a good fight for him.

I would be worried for Gunni, because I think Bendo could beat him, but I really like that fight.

I think it is a bad move. Cerrone out boxed him in the first, but Bendo is smart and I liked the kick to the upper leg that looked like a body kick. He didnt really lose that fight, but I still think he belongs at LW. Maybe he knows he cant get another fight with pettis or RDA anytime soon.

Back