First trip to Thailand for a 3-month camp!

luckykal

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello guys, I hope i picked the right forum to post this in!

I have ambitions to win the championship belt of my country in Muay Thai and my job allows me to travel 3-6 months every winter, since this will be my first trip to Thailand I'll stay 3 months which I guess is a decent amount of time!

So, why the thread?
I have been reasearching for what seems like AGES on what camp to go to. I don't want to try different ones, I want to book a hotel close to camp and just bite down and go hard for 3 months, I have scouted a few gyms and I'd like your input/thoughts of the gyms I mentioned, also if you have any other tips of gyms i havent mentioned you are more than welcome to do so!

What am I looking to get out of the gym during my stay?
  • EXPERIENCED trainers who fought in big arenas and know what they are doing
  • Trainers that put alot of attention to detail and proper technique (Correcting you)
  • A gym where you can get alot of individual attention during group training
  • A gym where the Trainers speak at least "ok" english
  • Not a commertional gym like Tiger Muay Thai or Top Rank (Too crowded and possibility for individual help decreases drasticly)
  • Training 2 times per day (I know pretty standard but still)
  • Nice atmosphere aka "Family vibe"
The gyms I have scouted out so far, my favorites so far from top to bottom:
  • Sitjaopho - Seems to have absolutely everything I ask for, I know that Tho is always at the Gym and his brother has been in Sweden alot, I wonder if he's brother is back in Thailand? Other than that they seem to have everything I look for: Friendly, highly skillfull, very technique focused, alot of attention given to those who show they want it, good english
  • Singpatong Sitnumnoi - Seems to be a very hardcore gym, don't know much about It since they barely have any information about the trainers, but from what I've read/heard and seen on youtube, it seems like a very serious gym which would fit me very well.
  • Sitsongpeenong - Seems to have everything I ask for, only that It was rather expensive. Food, training and accomodation for 3 months was 157500 baht = 4793$ But I could maybe find a cheap hotel nearby instead.
  • [These top 3 are really head to head, could go with either]

• Santai (Close to moving up) - I heard alot of positive things about Santai, the trainers have very good resumees, AND ITS CHEAP. 42000 Baht (1280$) for 3 months + a "fighters house" a small place with AC, king size bed, shower with warm water and all the basic stuff you need.
  • Attachai - Heard good things but website still under construction, so I'm waiting for more information on that front.
  • Khunsuek - Where superbon trains, Trainer Gae also spend alot of time here. Gym is very modern, good accomodations on spot, but heard it's more of a cardio session rather than learning good and proper techniques

So! Any tips, thoughts and ideas are warmly welcome!

Cheers
Lucky

Maybe go to the gyms that have produced succesful foreign Muay Thai fighters in Thailand?

Your job sounds pretty awesome. Sounds like you have already found some good options. Wherever you go, ask them to book you fights. They will take you more seriously when they know you are serious about fighting.

What weight will you be competing at?

If you are a heavier fighter it would be beneficial to pick a camp with other fighters close to your size to work with.

Most Thais rarely fight above 65kg.

What weight will you be competing at?

If you are a heavier fighter it would be beneficial to pick a camp with other fighters close to your size to work with.

Most Thais rarely fight above 65kg.

I'm about 74kg 188 cm tall :)

Kem Muay Thai Gym is where it's at.

You're scrawny af

sounds like you already have a good job. Don't get into fighting. It doesn't pay shit.

Kem Muay Thai Gym is where it's at.
Thanks for the tip, Price is pretty good for accomodation + training + food for 3 months!

There is only information about Kem but not about any other trainer, Is Kem involved in any training? Also how is the technical aspect? Do they involve themselves with teaching students proper technique, tips/tricks etc?

I got 6 years boxing on a high level under my belt and 1 year muay thai, i'm not doing it for money im doing it cause i love it :)
Also not a single comment regarding what my actual post is about
If you had 6 years of high level boxing under you, you wouldn't be going into Muay Thai. I'll leave it at that. Best of luck.

If you had 6 years of high level boxing under you, you wouldn't be going into Muay Thai. I'll leave it at that. Best of luck.

Yeah because he'd get destroyed in Muay Thai if he was a high level boxer

I stayed at Jitti Gym for two months in 2019 and really enjoyed myself. Great training that has all the stuff you want, great location, super nice trainers and all. I would say any of those gyms you wrote about in your post would be a good choice as well, just make sure to give them a call or visit in person before making your final decision on where to stay. This thread also has a lot of useful information in it; the Standup forum might be a better place for this post as well, since they're completely training oriented.

Hello guys, I hope i picked the right forum to post this in!

I have ambitions to win the championship belt of my country in Muay Thai and my job allows me to travel 3-6 months every winter, since this will be my first trip to Thailand I'll stay 3 months which I guess is a decent amount of time!

So, why the thread?
I have been reasearching for what seems like AGES on what camp to go to. I don't want to try different ones, I want to book a hotel close to camp and just bite down and go hard for 3 months, I have scouted a few gyms and I'd like your input/thoughts of the gyms I mentioned, also if you have any other tips of gyms i havent mentioned you are more than welcome to do so!

What am I looking to get out of the gym during my stay?
  • EXPERIENCED trainers who fought in big arenas and know what they are doing
  • Trainers that put alot of attention to detail and proper technique (Correcting you)
  • A gym where you can get alot of individual attention during group training
  • A gym where the Trainers speak at least "ok" english
  • Not a commertional gym like Tiger Muay Thai or Top Rank (Too crowded and possibility for individual help decreases drasticly)
  • Training 2 times per day (I know pretty standard but still)
  • Nice atmosphere aka "Family vibe"
The gyms I have scouted out so far, my favorites so far from top to bottom:
  • Sitjaopho - Seems to have absolutely everything I ask for, I know that Tho is always at the Gym and his brother has been in Sweden alot, I wonder if he's brother is back in Thailand? Other than that they seem to have everything I look for: Friendly, highly skillfull, very technique focused, alot of attention given to those who show they want it, good english
  • Singpatong Sitnumnoi - Seems to be a very hardcore gym, don't know much about It since they barely have any information about the trainers, but from what I've read/heard and seen on youtube, it seems like a very serious gym which would fit me very well.
  • Sitsongpeenong - Seems to have everything I ask for, only that It was rather expensive. Food, training and accomodation for 3 months was 157500 baht = 4793$ But I could maybe find a cheap hotel nearby instead.
  • [These top 3 are really head to head, could go with either]

• Santai (Close to moving up) - I heard alot of positive things about Santai, the trainers have very good resumees, AND ITS CHEAP. 42000 Baht (1280$) for 3 months + a "fighters house" a small place with AC, king size bed, shower with warm water and all the basic stuff you need.
  • Attachai - Heard good things but website still under construction, so I'm waiting for more information on that front.
  • Khunsuek - Where superbon trains, Trainer Gae also spend alot of time here. Gym is very modern, good accomodations on spot, but heard it's more of a cardio session rather than learning good and proper techniques

So! Any tips, thoughts and ideas are warmly welcome!

Cheers
Lucky

Hey ! Which country are you fighting out of ? ..the one you want to win the title in?

This maybe more of a commercial gym answer and i dont have personal experience in Thailand at all...

But theres tiger muay thai

They seem to have experience trainers and a great mix of farang and native fighters training there so you should fit in better ...

Heres someones break down ..

There tryouts are infamous

Most likely not the cheapest and most likely not the purest form of muay thai in sense of like a smaller gym with hungry thai fighters everywhere who will give you a true working experience in the Thai lifestyle of Muay thai in Thailand. .

Best of luck on your journey...train hard...fight smart..

I too hope to be competing in Martial arts this year as well as i return from Covid shut downs

Yeah because he'd get destroyed in Muay Thai if he was a high level boxer
Nah, if you're a high level boxer you're cultivated and the gym will do anything to see you be successful. If you do something at a high level you don't just quit without a reason. "Loving Muay Thai." Wouldn't happen. Doing anything at a high level requires focus from the individual and support from a team that wants you to succeed.

I know most people don't understand this because they've never been good at anything in their lives. Not everyone can be, it's not a knock against anyone. It's the reality of life.

Nah, if you're a high level boxer you're cultivated and the gym will do anything to see you be successful. If you do something at a high level you don't just quit without a reason. "Loving Muay Thai." Wouldn't happen. Doing anything at a high level requires focus from the individual and support from a team that wants you to succeed.

I know most people don't understand this because they've never been good at anything in their lives. Not everyone can be, it's not a knock against anyone. It's the reality of life.
How many titles have you won?

True people's interest never change.

No one said he quit it for no reason either. You're talking out your ass like you know this guys life story lmao.

True people's interest never change.

No one said he quit it for no reason either. You're talking out your ass like you know this guys life story lmao.

I too am so delusional I think 3-6 months in Thailand then going back home I can become the best fighter in my country. I definitely wouldn't have to sacrifice part of my full time job that affords me the opportunity to even go to Thailand in the first place.

It's why I suggested he just do it casually. You sacrifice a lot to be a good fighter let alone one of the best. What do I know though I'm just some guy on sherdog.

Back