First tourney - tips welcome

Wow, This thread should be archived or something. I mean that on a serious note to. I am about to print off everything Iceman has posted in this thread. He pretty much summed up what I have been looking for, for over a year now. Great stuff man, you are get mad respect from me, being your knowledge surpasses your age by great heights. Keep on posting good stuff like that man! Holy crap, youre a good poster (I have to over emphasis to make a point that I have seen hundreds of crappy posters here on sherdog the past few years.)

awesome thread.u do learn a lot about it once you've been in some tourns,but for a first timer this info would be the best to read beforehand.
especially the intensity of it and how drained you can feel after your first match,way more tierd than i'd ever been at the gym before.i probably wasnt used to the adrenaline rush and got a mad dump after it.was about 15+ mins untill next match.

Masakatsu Funaki #1 said:
Wow, This thread should be archived or something. I mean that on a serious note to. I am about to print off everything Iceman has posted in this thread. He pretty much summed up what I have been looking for, for over a year now. Great stuff man, you are get mad respect from me, being your knowledge surpasses your age by great heights. Keep on posting good stuff like that man! Holy crap, youre a good poster (I have to over emphasis to make a point that I have seen hundreds of crappy posters here on sherdog the past few years.)

Thanks Funaki, I do try to make my posts as helpful as possible. Some of the stuff I posted, I wish I had known before doing NAGA over the summer, or before wrestling matches.

I really suggest to anyone that they read up on mental preparation. This is my third year of wrestling and I'm only beginning to get down the right mindset. (I was never really a competitive athlete when I was younger, so competition outside of rolling in the gym does not come naturally to me) I recently lost a wrestle-off to a kid who I'm a much better wrestler than, partly because I made a mistake, but partly because I didn't have the right mentality. The next day, I wrestled at a scrimmage, and went 3-0 for the first time in wrestling. It sounds really simple, and to most of you, it's going to seem pretty self-evident, but you really truly need to believe you are going to win. It's more than just telling yourself "I'm going to win" before the match.

When you're in the middle of a scramble, you need to be thinking "I am getting this position" or "He is going to tap his hand." When I wrestled yesterday, I faced the toughest part of wrestling for me: matwork (takedowns and defense are no problem, but I'm much better at grappling than wrestling matwork). Every time I took someone down or defended their TD and ended up on top, I thought of saying to him "One way or another, your shoulders are touching this mat." Instead of worrying "Oh crap, what if I can't do that again?" when he rolled out of a pin, I thought "Good job, but you're going back in that position." As a result, I went 3-0, and didn't have a point scored on me the whole day. I know it sounds like I'm tooting my own horn, but it's for the purpose of telling you what mindset has been working for me.

Something else that I've noticed that happens to a lot of people is the intimidation factor. At wrestling yesterday, one of my teammates asked me "You haven't seen the kid I have to wrestle, have you?" I said "No, but who cares? Don't worry about him, worry about yourself." I warmed up with him, did some drills, and the whole time pumped him up by saying "It doesn't matter if he's your weight entirely in muscle; he'll just gas faster. You have the technique. Punish him for even trying to wrestle you."

A few minutes later, when it was time for his match, the kid who my teammate had to wrestle definitely was bigger. He definitely looked stronger, and taller from what I remember. Where some people would be intimidated by this, my teammate pinned him before the 3rd period. I've had similar experiences like this in wrestling. You can not be intimidated by anyone. I have to work to do this; I used to be pudgy, weak, and out of shape, and in the back of my mind, I still have that image of myself. When I see kids who my mind thinks look stronger than me, I have to take that extra little measure to tell myself I can beat them.

I saw a GREAT quote on GrappleArts, for those of us (like me) who get obsessive with what they like to do. I'm just going to paraphrase, but basically they said that you need to keep your priorities in check. If grappling brings happiness to your life, great, but don't let it become your life. Do you want people at your funeral crying, and saying "Well, at least he had a really tight side control?" This put things in perspective for me, because I'm a big-time daydreamer, and I have all these plans and dreams of one day fighting in MMA in Japan, and thinking about the kind of fighter I want to be. But now thinking about that quote, and after losing one of my friends to an accidental suicide, I try to make more time for family and friends.

You'll see a lot of inspirational material out there, about being a champion. There's a loooot of stuff about Dan Gable, because the guy was so dedicated, he would go running the day after winning a championship. He was unscored on in the Olympics because he was so dedicated. You should definitely strive to be the best that you can, for the purpose of self-actualization (an important component of mental health that most people never really get to), but remember to live your life, too. Most of us don't have this problem, but I just thought it was an important last point to stress.

Cardio said:
SUM A DAT WUZ KOO ICEMAN, KOO AS AYYCE. seriously, thanx and btw could you give me an example of a gameplan??? Do I imagine faking, going for a takedown, riding the back for a choke, if he blocks the choke, go for an armbar..

heres a little gameplan I constructed for a random opponent:

match begins; don't be overly aggressive, set up and single leg, just as you go to finish hook his heel and sit back for achellis lock. If he defends, jolt up and get to half guard at least. Slow up for a moment to gather your thoughts. boom. Explode. move to side mount and immediately to knee on stomach, this distracts him from the kimura you're setting up upstairs. go back to sidemount with the kimura in hands and swing leg over the head. Opponent rolls and kimura grip is lost. Look for triangle choke(use the triangle to set up a sweep) or Omoplata or Try to kick off and stand up to get a double leg; ending the scramble.

just imagine action and opponents counter to better prepare your mind for the move or set up you'll need to nuetralize the counter.

after your first match you're going to be very burnt out due to the amount of adrenaline that killed your cardio. Walk onto the mat KNOWING that you've trained hard as hell and your opponent could not have possibly done anything to prepare himself for the ass whoopin you're about to put on him.

Lately what I do is give myself a goal. A lot of the time it is "pass guard"; I don't stop until that goal is achieved. When I start to tire I give myself reasons to keep going. Usually "No one is going to want to watch you lose" works just fine. I've watched myself roll at my last tournament and couldn't believe how lazy and slow my matches were. I had a friend tell me it was some of the best rolling I've done. While it might've been good in his or their eyes, its no where near entertaining. To be competitive and to get the win is one thing, but to dominate your opponent and be fun to watch is one of the most rewarding feelings.

and while I'm typing random thoughts I've got to get back to work.

-warm-up

-go to the bathroom b4 hand

-expect to have your first match at anytime

-dont wear a mouthpeice (just for ur first tourney), ull choke on it

i remember at my first tournament i was constantly looking at everyone in the hall wondering who was in my weight class.
im 5,8 and was in the light heavy class and was shit scared everyone was all gonne be 6ft plus.
once you realise it doesnt matter i guess it comes more easy.

one tip is drill stand up!!!
my gym did hardly any and i got my arse handed to me. when the match started i went in and thai clinched because its all i really know and then started working for underhooks but then got thrown in the air with some judo throw.

deadlift ryan said:
i remember at my first tournament i was constantly looking at everyone in the hall wondering who was in my weight class.
im 5,8 and was in the light heavy class and was shit scared everyone was all gonne be 6ft plus.

Same here, All i kept thinking about was wanting to see my opponent...then i get a BI..lol..in the end it really doesnt matter because most everyone in a tourney has trained with someone bigger than them (at least i hope so, if not start recruiting ur friends), so nobody in your weight class is going to be that big of a surprise.

Back