First tournament tomorrow, need help!

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Hellboy31, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Hellboy31

Hellboy31 Brown Belt

I'm competing tomorrow and I'm still a little heavy. I usually weigh about 164 or 165 but I weigh myself at the end of the day so I thought I'd be a little lighter in the morning. However, I woke up today and weighed myself.... 166.

I need to be at about 162.5 to 163 tomorrow to be on weight with the gi on. My question is, what should I eat tonight. I drank water until noon but I've now cut that out and don't plan on drinking again until after I weigh in. I want to eat a small meal tonight around 7 but I'm not sure what to eat. I know salt and sugar are out.... Anyone have any suggestions? Feedback much appreciated.

Also, I have to compete pretty much right after I weigh in so I won't have a lot of time to rehydrate or eat anything before my first match.

2. GAP14

GAP14 Green Belt

Well, it sounds like you kind of screwed yourself. You should be cutting weight today to get the last of the pounds off before weigh in. So run, ride a bike, etc. with some weight cutting attire on. If I were you I would just eat some yogurt or drink water. Celery?

3. Hero1

Hero1 Purple Belt

which tournament are you gonna be in?

4. Russo93

Russo93 Yellow Belt

Mix protein with water. No milk.

Maybe some hard boiled egg whites?

Next time be on weight!!

5. Hellboy31

Hellboy31 Brown Belt

I don't have to compete until about 1:30pm tomorrow so I figured I'd go to the gym before the tourny and just sit in the sauna to get the last few pounds off. I'd prefer to not have to cut more than two pounds in the morning so I'm not too dehydrated.

It's the Long Island Pride tourny at York College

6. Hero1

Hero1 Purple Belt

I'll be in the same competition, 1:30? so I'm guessing u're in the master division?

7. Hellboy31

Hellboy31 Brown Belt

Yeah, I'm in the masters division. I'm in the 167.5 weight class. You?

8. tim18t

tim18t Blue Belt

You could always just suck it up and compete healthy at your real weight.

9. chino3

chino3 Purple Belt

Oh please he's talkng a few pounds...

10. 35andOver

35andOver Blue Belt

Did you make weight?

Between breathing, sweating and the wonderful, long morning pee, most people tend to lose a couple pounds over night in water weight. Provided you don't drink up and gain that weight back before your'e weigh in, you can couple that with some minor sauna work and a couple pounds is no problem.

So.....I'm going to guess you made weight.

11. Hellboy31

Hellboy31 Brown Belt

Yeah made weight ok. I woke up and weighed myself at 162 so did a quick 30 minutes in the sauna to get to 161. Ended up weighing in 2 pounds under.

The guy I rolled with cut down from 180. How he did that and competed right after weighing in is beyond me. Anyway, had a pretty good match. The guy wrestled for a few years in high school and had about 15 pounds on me but it was pretty competitive. He passed once or twice and I got my guard back but couldn't sweep. I thought I was pretty close to a collar choke at the end but I ran out of time. He said it was close but may have just been being nice :). Glad I got the first one done, just gotta go back to the drawing board and start training a bit harder.

12. SLaKKJaW

SLaKKJaW Blue Belt

Right on. Just try not to cut ANY weight for a day-of weigh in tournament and you'll be a lot better off. Lose weight, sure. But no starving and withholding fluids.