First tournament in 3 weeks

NahVeed

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have my first BJJ tournament in about 3 weeks. I wasnt sure if I was ready to compete since i have only been training since June but my instructor said to just go for it for experience and get a feel for competition. Im pretty excited to compete but I have a question for all you more experienced competitors.

First of all is my weight issue. I usually walk around around 140 lbs so that puts me in the 135-147 weight class. My instructor told me not to cut weight since it is my first tournament and that after competing I should decide if I felt too small or just fine at this weight class. The problem is that since I have been doing more conditioning in preparation, I know weigh around 137 lbs. Would I be fine staying at this weight? Or should i just try my hand at cutting?

Sorry if the post was a little long, I just wanted to let you guys know my situation before I got an answer. Thanks for reading :icon_chee

Well you've been training longer than I have. My first tourney is in October in Lansing, MI. Frankly I'm not sure if I'm ready, but the only way to know is to just tear the band-aid off and go. Be sure someone from your school tapes at least one of your matches to you can see what you are doing right and wrong.

Also, learn a little Judo, like one or two throws. This will give you a leg up in the start if you start from standing.

dont cut weight, it sucks...

Yea I know it would be hard for me because we have to weigh in with the gi, which means I would have to cut an extra 3 or so lbs. Would I be at a disadvantage weighing in at the minimum limit?

keep in mind that sometimes there might not be alot of people at the weight you're trying to cut to, so they'll just end up putting you with the next higher weight.

are you entering the teens division? if this is for the adults, i probably wouldn't worry about cutting since i doubt you'll see alot of guys below 135.

keep in mind that sometimes there might not be alot of people at the weight you're trying to cut to, so they'll just end up putting you with the next higher weight.

are you entering the teens division? if this is for the adults, i probably wouldn't worry about cutting since i doubt you'll see alot of guys below 135.

i am 20 years old and this is in the adult division. the adult division is from ages 16-34 so there will be some teens mixed in also

Do you lift weights at all currently? Did you do it before? If you were once bigger or never really lifted weights you can put on some solid lbs pretty quickly in the first few weeks (either muscle memory or you have a lot of room for growth).

Diet, weight lifting, and rest can go a long way here.

Are they same day weigh ins??

You could use the restroom and lose the 2 lbs that are keeping you in that weight class, thus being at the top of the next weight class (which would be cool imo)

BUT.. if you are weighing in with your gi on, you would need to lose a couple lbs of watrer weight which would be super duper easy if they are day before weigh ins..

If same day weigh ins, just stay in the class you are in now and compete with no expectations or winning or losing, just having fun and enjoying the experience.

Do you lift weights at all currently? Did you do it before? If you were once bigger or never really lifted weights you can put on some solid lbs pretty quickly in the first few weeks (either muscle memory or you have a lot of room for growth).

Diet, weight lifting, and rest can go a long way here.

yes i have been lifting weights every day since taking time off from weights in the summer. i have just changed up my diet though, i am trying to eat more throughout the day to gain a few lbs

Back