First Tournament in 1 month, any advice?

K1 Hughes

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I have been training no-Gi for about 2.5 months now, and my coach feels like me and my friend are ready for a tournament in about 1 month. There is a division for under 6months experience so I should be on a similar level experience wise as most guys.

Obviously I am going to be spending as much time on the mat as possible, but I go to University full time and work as well so I don't have unlimited amounts of time, and my gym isn't open on some of my free days but I would at least like to do something beneficial with my spare time.

Could you guys recommend any workouts that would help with my cardio? It is decent right now, but I was also a Golden Gloves boxer and I know that cardio is an absolute must and would love any solid tips to make sure it is as good as possible. Would the sprints and stuff I did for boxing translate well to grappling or is there something better I could be doing?

Same goes for weight training, I currently do a full body workout 3 days a week (I can go into more detail if need be). Will this be sufficient for maintaining strength, or should I be focusing on something more specific?

This is all I have for specific questions, but if you would like to add anything else you think might help, or even share some stories from your first tournament, I will definitely read and appreciate them.

Enjoy the adrenaline rush. Do your best. Be aggressive.

When that adrenalin hits, only the things you trained really hard will come to you, the rest will disappear, so train hard!

I have a tournament in about a month as well. Good Luck to you.

focus on sweeps, and remember position first and foremost.

Relax and have fun.

Go in with a game plan. If you're going to pull guard, practice that, and do it. If you want top position, and you want to do a single leg-- practice that, and go out there and do it. You want to go out there and have a strategy already carved up; one that you can implement immediately and efficiently.

Also, drill your side control and mount escapes non-stop.

Also, relax and have fun, you're there to learn more than anything.

Relax and have fun.

best advice for first tournament...really, just clear your mind prior to the match, make sure you warm up really good...i mean, try to break a sweat by match time.

also, if this is a local tournament, get to know some guys that train nearby...i've met some really good people at the tournaments i've been in...also, it makes a good excuse to train at another gym once and a while.

Have a solid gameplan. Know what your good at and what kinds of things work well for you. Practice this stuff over and over. When you get out there relax and try to have some fun.

Most of the guys in this tourny will probably also be in their first tournament. Thats a pretty good thing to remember when you start feeling a bit nervous right before your match.

First and foremost, have fun. Remember this is a tournament for fun and to test your skills against others who are also new to the dance. If you win, be humble and take it as a learning experience. If you lose, try and learn for the mistakes that caused you to lose and try and build on that. It is no big deal to lose, and can only make you learn...

Win or lose, try and get video. You can watch and learn from the mistakes made and play to some of your strengths.

Try to pace yourself on the workouts before the tournament. You want to be able to peak yourself out, but strength is not as important as technique or even cardio. You want to feel good and ready going into it, you do not want to be burnt out in any part of your body walking in or after 1 match.

+1 to the game plan. Play to your strengths as much as possible. Pick what you are good at and make it as solid as you can going in. You also know where you are weak, and you want to improve that for survival sake, but survival will get you only to not be submitted, you need to be able to control your opponent for points and hopefully a submission. Work your strengths....

No need to be nervous, as the worst that can happen is that you lose a tournament that is for fun. I understand being nervous, first match, people watching... try and block that out and focus on your opponent and your strengths.

Have fun and good luck!

If you get video - it is not a bad idea to post it up win or lose to get critiques to help your game. Plus your coach can look at it as well to help you out....

Cardio, escapes and sweeps. Work them. I have one in a month too and I started running and lifting again, but it takes a back seat to rolling and drilling. Technique is more important. Just have fun, you're not new to competition so don't sweat it.

Dont forget to breath....

first timers always have to much adrenaline and forget to breath!

btw your forearms are going to feel like they are on fire after your first match =)

Good luck! Relax! I got a fuckload of butterflies in my stomach the first time I competed. Oh yeah, and take some Imodium before the event, so you don't shit yourself.

Good luck! Relax! I got a fuckload of butterflies in my stomach the first time I competed. Oh yeah, and take some Imodium before the event, so you don't shit yourself.

Nice...

Be ready for guys to go 110% You'll see the intensity level is a lot higher then what you would see in class.

Be sure to get a good nights sleep, eat light and healthy. Pack some food or snacks. There is a lot of waiting involved. I have gotten to tournaments at 8am and not had my match until 3pm...

Have fun, listen to your coach. Remember to relax.

If you're down on points it's time to work, shrimp like crazy and get back to guard etc.

If you can, try and talk to your opponent afterwards about the match.

position then submission

but most importantly, breathe.
new competitors(myself included) forget to breathe when things get heated.

Back