First tournament at Purple

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Allan san, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Allan san

Allan san Green Belt

Hey guys,

Some of you might recall that I was recently (November) promoted to purple. I decided to test my skill level out today in Atlanta at the IBJJF Winter Open to see where I stack up. I lost my first match 0-0 by ref decision, but I would agree with his decision. I spent about 14 months at blue belt and went undefeated in 20 matches, so it feels exciting to be the underdog having to climb my way back up. I had 22 guys in my bracket and to be honest, any one of them could have won; it was some serious competition. A ton of fun and a great overall experience for me. Here is my video of the match. Enjoy.

2. HtomSirveaux

HtomSirveaux Blue Belt

Good fight, very evenly matched. You didn't mention which one is you, and watching it without any bias it could've gone either way. I tend to favor the top player, and he had some aggressive pass attempts, but bottom guy had great retention and threw up a sub attempt or two.

And as an aside, man, 14 months from blue to purple, wow. I've been at blue for around 3 years now, and if I'm honest with myself, it's looking like another 2-3 or more to get a pity purple lol. Very impressive

Allan san likes this.
  3. kjg1672

kjg1672 Brown Belt

Good work, man. I've now competed twice at purple and got my ass kicked both times. Definitely no bums at purple and above.

Allan san likes this.
  4. Allan san

Allan san Green Belt

My bad! I'm the bald guy in the white gi. Lol