First Tounament - What should i expect?

Flibb

Uwe Boll fan
@Green
Reaction score
Next saturday i will have my first submission grappling tournament. I know just the date and place nothing about the rules etc.
Do you have advice how i should behave the days before and especially on fight day?
Is it ok to do monday, tuesday and wednesday some weights or should i just train bjj?

bjj
light rolls
work muscle memory
dont do weights
you wont get any stronger a week before the event
maybe even have some massages to work out tension

Avoid weights or any other kinds of sports before a tournament. Just do BJJ and some stamina excersizes like skipping rope.

Don't forget to bring light food and clothes to keep you warm. Make sure to be 100% certain about the rules, neck cranking? slams?, heel hooks? penalty for pulling guard? And remember to warm-up properly but don't exaggerate, check out the brackets for your weightclass. You don't want to burn your energy if your match is hours away.

All the posts are good advice .....Have fun ...

My best advice is for the match itself. As you can see by my record, I've lost more than I've won. So, now whenever I compete, I'll pull out all stocks to win. All systems go. 150%. I might be tired for future matchups, but I intend to win the first one.

Some people pace themselves. If you're sure you'll win the matches, go for it. But if there's any question, treat each match like your last.

I would definitely try and find out what the rules are. Maybe try and find out how the scoring is going to work so that you can try rolling with the same rules and scoring during the week.

Eat light and healthy if possible no big meals the day of. Good luck and have fun.

thanks guys i really appreciate it. I used all the advice you gave me already now its competition time and hopefully i can do great i will do my best no matter what.

the week before the fight concentrate on just bjj training and cardio. its not a bad idea to do nothing for 2 days before the match except cardio as a lot of people tend to go and train all out the days before and end up getting injured right before the tourney which isn't good

before the fight i like to relax like an hour before the first match by listening to some music and get really hyped up like 5 min before ... this might sound weird but i like to yell at the wall right before i'm ready to go it just gets the adrenaline going (diff things work for diff people though)

Flibb said:
Next saturday i will have my first submission grappling tournament. I know just the date and place nothing about the rules etc.
Do you have advice how i should behave the days before and especially on fight day?
Is it ok to do monday, tuesday and wednesday some weights or should i just train bjj?

Can you tape it and post it?

Hey guys i have great news!
Ive won my weight division (till 73,6kg) and im 2-0-1 in submission grappling.
My opponents were all luta livre guys and i hope i honoured BJJ with my performance especially with my guard.
I won my first fight via triangle in 2:07 and my second via decision (10+5 min) but it was total ownage i was most of the time in his back.
The final fight was the fight of the evening even though i think i did enough to win the fight it was called a draw because it was close fight.Pics + Clips will follow thanks again :D

Flibb said:
Hey guys i have great news!
Ive won my weight division (till 73,6kg) and im 2-0-1 in submission grappling.
My opponents were all luta livre guys and i hope i honoured BJJ with my performance especially with my guard.
I won my first fight via triangle in 2:07 and my second via decision (10+5 min) but it was total ownage i was most of the time in his back.
The final fight was the fight of the evening even though i think i did enough to win the fight it was called a draw because it was close fight.Pics + Clips will follow thanks again :D

Congratulations Flibb. Nice work. How long have you been training? I mean any previous grappling experience at all. And what divsion did you compete in, i.e. Novice, Intermidiate, etc.?

Again, great job mate.

Thanks. Im training BJJ since february, had nothing before and i competed in the Novice division

<-the team
<-my first fight ever ive won after 2:07 via triangle choke
<-me after the first fight

The fight was a draw

Pictures of the two winners:

All Medalists:

Me with the Luta Livre Trainers from the guy i faced in the finals and in the first fight:

Back