First time wrestling?

RealVision116

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I'm going to try out for the High school wrestling and had a question. I was wondering what I should do for my weight. I'm currently 120 lbs and was planning on bulking up to 125 or 130. Or I could cut weight or maintain my current weight for that weight class.

I'm asking this because I'm not sure if I would have a disadvantage if I went either way. I heard if you cut weight you would be bigger than your opponents that are at that natural weight that you cutted to. I heard if you gain weight you would add a lot of muscle and I would be with the taller people. Also, I'm tall for my weight (6 foot) and don't want to have a disadvantage to shorter guys which would be at a lower weight class.

So should I gain weight, cut weight, or maintain current weight? Also is there any tips for a first time wrestler/grappler?

If you're 6 feet tall and weigh that little, fuck man bulk up and get some muscle

I have wrestled since i was like 3 years old man and im going to be a junior this year and cut weight my fresh/soph years but trust me cutting weight is an advantage. It might suck but it helps being bigger than the other guy. Just lift weights to keep your strength but cut down on the food and such

ok first off. you need to recognize that wrestling is not a full out strength sport. You need to get stronger (of course)

but many other things are included in wrestling... mainly
1) Technique
2) Cardio
3) Strength
4) Mentality for winning
5) The never quit attitude

Now you can achieve these by lifting weights. But only doing that is not going to cut it. you need to run, do HIIT, work your moves, and have the best attitude including showing up at practice before anyone and leaving last. You will show your coach that you are dedicated and ready to have a winning season. Also you have to compete for varsity. So i would start training hard now. The only way i see you starting on varsity is if you skip football season to train your ass off.

But i would never do that because i love football and wrestling, but why skip one or the other. nonsense. Just do what you have to do so when you step into practice the first day, you will realize that everyone will be out of shape and guys will be TOO bulky and guys will be pussies and crybabies and miss practices. When all those pussies are gone, that when you show the coach your for real.

Trust me if you don't have the endurance to shed out a 2-3 hour practice, you will want to quit. I have had times before that i was like "o man why am i doing this. i was puking. i didn't think i could make it" , but then i settled down and realized how much i love it. so just train your ass off and work hard, listen toy our coach and you will succeed. mental part is just as important. think win all the time. know that you are improving. ASK QUESTIONS ALL THE TIME.

i see guys who ask questions but then don't have the cardio or mentality to show up at practice and show the coach that what the coach taught him, hes not even using cuz hes to busy with pot or girlfriends. Ask as many questions as possible. Go home and practice on the air. Not even kidding. If you want to be successful you have to work 100%. dream champion. live champion. Don't go to parties on weekends. Have a strict strict diet. Research like you are doing now on how to succeed and achieve greatness. The way to think. Research yoga.

do all this and i guarantee you will win at LEAST a couple of tournaments and place in sectionals. Not to bad for your first year huh?:icon_twis

Good advice above poster. I told my parents a while ago to force me to go to practice every day so I can get the training I need to be great. I was wondering what try outs was like? I don't any moves so I hope it's just fitness stuff.

I would say bulk up a little. Strength helps, core strength, arm strength, everything. You won't just become heavier, you'll become stronger for your size.

dont worry about your weight. Just eat healthy and see what you weigh when the time comes you have about 3 months until wrestling starts. As one of the posters said already, get your body in shape to handle the wrestling practice, the moves will be learned when you get there.

Do anything you can to get in shape, long distance running, short distance sprints, weights, plyometrics or whatever it is you want to do, just do something, I suggest you do something physical every day, you will thank yourself for it the 1st day.

As for what the try outs are like, basically a few days before th3 1sr match the coach will have everyone weigh in and then there will be wrestle offs. If you can beat everyone at your weight class then you are the varsity starter, its just that simple.

imo, i wouldnt cut weight til Junior year. just eat healthy n work out a lot. switch to non fat dairy.

work on your sprawls dude, being most liekly 6 inches taller than your opponenet, u need to make sure you defend the takedowns. for now, just find a few moves u like n drill them like non other.

Good advice above poster. I told my parents a while ago to force me to go to practice every day so I can get the training I need to be great. I was wondering what try outs was like? I don't any moves so I hope it's just fitness stuff.
we don't have tryouts. We have wrestle offs. Where you wrestle all the opponents in your weight class and if you beat them all, you start for the varsity team. If someone on JV starts doing good in your weight class they might have you wrestle him again but only if he is doing good.

But as for making wrestling, just be in good shape and everything else will come. Who knows maybe you a natural wrestler??

imo, i wouldnt cut weight til Junior year. just eat healthy n work out a lot. switch to non fat dairy.

work on your sprawls dude, being most liekly 6 inches taller than your opponenet, u need to make sure you defend the takedowns. for now, just find a few moves u like n drill them like non other.

lol, I'm surprised you said this. I would tell him that based on his height he should probably learn your name and he'd be set.

Back