First time since 2003 that the UFC decreased its schedule

chitoortiz

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So far it's looking like the UFC will put on 40 events this year.

Down from the 46 from 2014. A lot of cancellations this year too.

Hasn't happened since 2003.

A lot of people complain about too many cards.

The less cards I have to follow in order to get all of the fights I actually care about, the better.

I hope they do go back to less cards. It's ridiculous to have basically one good fight a card and if that fight crumbles the rest of the card folds. I miss the days when there were less, but far better cards to be seen. Everything is too diluted now. Compare pure Coke to fountain Coke. You get it.

Should only have no more than 24 events a year. 2 per month, one PPV one one FOX, everything stacked, injuries are irrelevant. Problems solved.

They're stacking them. Which is fine with me

This.

Reebok, steroids and Aldo injury have made people think this year has been a lot worse than it actually has been.

UFC 182, 183, 184, 190 all had marquee fights.
UFC 185, 187, 188 & 189 were all "stacked cards".

The 3 FOX cards have been solid.

There have also been some marquee fights on FS1 -- Edgar/Faber, Machida/Romero, Conor/Siver, Mendes/Lamas

Should only have no more than 24 events a year. 2 per month, one PPV one one FOX, everything stacked, injuries are irrelevant. Problems solved.

Except it doesn't help the UFC expand.

Its easy for us to sit here and say the ideal number. I know that I wouldn't be into MMA if the UFC hadn't returned to Montreal for UFC 124 (let alone come in the first place).

Expansion allows people like us to exist

It baffles me that MMA fans prefer less MMA. I wish the shit was on everyday.

I swear it's like a lot of people on this forum are like - I've never heard of these guys so this shit fuckin SUUUCKS.

Shit, I watch AXS cards, Bellator and WSOF. A lot of times I haven't heard of those guys either, but so what? That doesn't mean the fights are going to suck. And sometimes you get to watch a future star before they make it big.

I swear it's like a lot of people on this forum are like - I've never heard of these guys so this shit fuckin SUUUCKS.

Shit, I watch AXS cards, Bellator and WSOF. A lot of times I haven't heard of those guys either, but so what? That doesn't mean the fights are going to suck. And sometimes you get to watch a future star before they make it big.

Doesn't mean other people share your sentiments. Not everyone is into low level MMA, and just because a fight is an all out brawl, doesn't mean it's good, techniques matter, and if you're just into action then WorldStarHipHop would be a better choice for you.

I'd rather listen to the hits, than drone through the deep tracks.

Different strokes. I am only interested in watching the best.

Doesn't mean other people share your sentiments. Not everyone is into low level MMA, and just because a fight is an all out brawl, doesn't mean it's good, techniques matter, and if you're just into action then WorldStarHipHop would be a better choice for you.

If you're just a casual then it shouldn't be too hard to catch the cards you're interested in. Let us MMA fans have our MMA.

I'm interested if it'll get me more excited for the cards if I see less of them. I feel bad for the fighters who won't be making as much money because of this. oh well at least they can rely on their reebok money coming in....

I'm interested if it'll get me more excited for the cards if I see less of them. I feel bad for the fighters who won't be making as much money because of this. oh well at least they can rely on their reebok money coming in....

The PPV really doesn't matter for minor events.

Fighters get paid shit whatsoever.

It baffles me that MMA fans prefer less MMA. I wish the shit was on everyday.

Yeah I'm in this boat aswell.

Moooaaaar!

Imo the more people getting paid to perfect their fighting style, the more competitive the rankings will get and further on there will be a lot more battle-hardened title challengers.

If you've ever complained about someone not deserving a title shot then I don't see how that person can also whine about too many cards? Makes no sense :D

If you're just a casual then it shouldn't be too hard to catch the cards you're interested in. Let us MMA fans have our MMA.

It isn't as simple as that though because that would mean skipping entire cards. The problem is people caring about only 1 or 2 fights on a particular card, and not giving a shit about the rest. That fan can't skip the event because he cares about those 1-2 fights, but he's not interested in sitting through lower skilled fights featuring lesser known fighters as well as loads of ads. It's better when all the fights a fan cares about are compiled together for viewing over a few-hour time period.

Look at UFC 189 as an example. It had 5 great fights in a row, uninterrupted by ads. Every fight that happened added to the fight that came after it. Events like that wouldn't be possible if they spread those 5 main card fights across 5 different events.

Back