First time I watched Joe joyce

I knew about his Capoeira because I've seen him perform some of that in his post-fight celebrations. I didn't know he was a track & field guy (I was as well) though. I would've never guessed he was. He does have other characteristics and traits that serve him well though, his stamina, durability, size, and so on. He's effective which is much more important than looking aesthetically pleasing in there.
He doesn't look it but he's pretty explosive. How many other 6'5" 250lbs can do a back somersault like this?

He doesn't look it but he's pretty explosive. How many other 6'5" 250lbs can do a back somersault like this?

Not only is that backflip impressive given his size but also because sticking the landing after fighting would be harder to do. In MMA GSP would fight and then naturally be tired after and when he would do his backflip he often landed on his knees.

Not only is that backflip impressive given his size but also because sticking the landing after fighting would be harder to do. In MMA GSP would fight and then naturally be tired after and when he would do his backflip he often landed on his knees.
Yeah after going rounds your leg explosion would be degraded. He landed it very cleanly and fairly high. As you say GSP used to land pretty low. On that basis Joyce especially considering the size disadvantage he would seem to be more athletic than GSP and I can believe he was good at track and field. He looks like a plodder but he's definitely not.

Yeah after going rounds your leg explosion would be degraded. He landed it very cleanly and fairly high. As you say GSP used to land pretty low. On that basis Joyce especially considering the size disadvantage he would seem to be more athletic than GSP and I can believe he was good at track and field. He looks like a plodder but he's definitely not.
Joyce had the better backflip no doubt and as the far bigger man. GSP got big into gymnastics a little later into his career though and fixed it. He figured it would help him with fighting and he was obsessed with doing whatever he could to improve himself as a fighter. Back in his prime GSP was explosive, strong as hell, and had great cardio. He's one of the greatest athletes and fighters in MMA history as you probably already know. He worked on his wrestling and in short order went from having an okay double leg to the best explosive blast double in the sport (setup by the best jab) and with no actual wrestling background in high school or college.

Joyce had the better backflip no doubt and as the far bigger man. GSP got big into gymnastics a little later into his career though and fixed it. He figured it would help him with fighting and he was obsessed with doing whatever he could to improve himself as a fighter. Back in his prime GSP was explosive, strong as hell, and had great cardio. He's one of the greatest athletes and fighters in MMA history as you probably already know. He worked on his wrestling and in short order went from having an okay double leg to the best explosive blast double in the sport (setup by the best jab) and with no actual wrestling background in high school or college.
George was a great athlete no doubt but I think people are underestimating Joyce because he looks big, clumsy and slow. The fact is he is a 6'5" 250lb man who can go for 12 rounds at a relentless pace. That is enough to make you someone to be feared and respected.

George was a great athlete no doubt but I think people are underestimating Joyce because he looks big, clumsy and slow. The fact is he is a 6'5" 250lb man who can go for 12 rounds at a relentless pace. That is enough to make you someone to be feared and respected.
Looks can be deceiving yeah. Fury has that clumsy oaf-like presence to him too at times but he's a quick guy with great feet for his size. Not even just for his size because you could shrink him down and he'd still have better feet than most. I agree that Joyce's attributes are formidable as far as his size, durability, and engine. It's really about effectiveness when it comes down to it, not aesthetics. Wilder in my opinion is the best example of it. Judging a book by its cover isn't always accurate but we tend to do it anyway because it's convenient.

This is a "modern boxer" silver medallist at the olympics? Wow guy is a disaster, 0 footwork, robotic and slow as hell.. All he has is size but about skills is even worst than primo carnera that freak boxer from 30s

Carnera isn't as bad as made out and Joyce is slow and robotic but he's 6,6 and massive and has a good work rate.

That makes him hard to stop in any era.

6,6 guys who can punch and fight and have stamina are one in a million. Fury, Joshua, Wilder and Whyte would wreck him but he's a solid fighter and he'd be a solid HW in any era. He's not a world beater but I'd put him up with the myriad of names who challenged the Klitschkos.

Anybody who thinks Joyce is somehow shit hasn't been watching HW boxing for about 2 decades.

Looks can be deceiving yeah. Fury has that clumsy oaf-like presence to him too at times but he's a quick guy with great feet for his size. Not even just for his size because you could shrink him down and he'd still have better feet than most. I agree that Joyce's attributes are formidable as far as his size, durability, and engine. It's really about effectiveness when it comes down to it, not aesthetics. Wilder in my opinion is the best example of it. Judging a book by its cover isn't always accurate but we tend to do it anyway because it's convenient.

I think that's a good analysis. Especially for Heavyweights.

Fury is a cute fighter who has honed his trade, he's also 6,9 and guys that size who can box are like hens teeth. Joshua is a great athlete and became a good/great fighter.

There are not to many Joe Joyce's roaming the streets. It's about winning and a guy like Joyce might look ugly but he's huge and relentless.

If it turns out he's durable he will be hard to stop. Boxing is a sport with many intangibles.

Personally I expect him to lose to Dubois and then make a few quid battering Dave Allen. He started to late imo. He's too old.

Yeah Fury is a good example. It's funny you mention those 3 HW's, Joyce, Fury, Wilder. If you could combine the best qualities of all 3 you'd have probably the best HW of all time. They'd be unstoppable. They'd be over 6'5", great reach, awesome power, amazing endurance, ridiculous work rate, iron chin, slick defence and great speed of movement. A HW boxing version of a Super Skrull if you read comics.

The question really is down to Joyce. Is he going to utilise the, “juggernaut”, style and be confident in his chin, or employ a bit more skills, which he has done before.

Not saying he’s going to suddenly become a Sweat Pea in there, but he’s shown more head and body movement in the past. I find Dubois can be a bit too straightforward and I’m not sure how much he can adjust.

With that and the posts above about the Bruno comparison, here’s a cool vid of Big Frank holding the pads for Dubois. Bruno gives his tips but I’m not convinced Dubois is really reacting fast to them.

Frank looks in better shape in his 50s than most current heavies.

The question really is down to Joyce. Is he going to utilise the, “juggernaut”, style and be confident in his chin, or employ a bit more skills, which he has done before.

Not saying he’s going to suddenly become a Sweat Pea in there, but he’s shown more head and body movement in the past. I find Dubois can be a bit too straightforward and I’m not sure how much he can adjust.

With that and the posts above about the Bruno comparison, here’s a cool vid of Big Frank holding the pads for Dubois. Bruno gives his tips but I’m not convinced Dubois is really reacting fast to them.

Frank looks in better shape in his 50s than most current heavies.

Yeah big frank does look bang in shape. Seems to be struggling a bit mentally now though, which is a damn shame. Lovely fella!

Dubois does look robotic but he has good fundamentals. I think he’s got a better jab than big frank ever had, so I’m not sure he needs any tips. Guys with good movement may be a problem for him. Joyce is gonna be right in front of him the whole fight and he’s not great defensively. I think he gonna get beaten up

Back