First time I met Aldo in 2005

ShaolinSubzz

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey ya'll - thought I'd tell you all a story :)

So way back when (when I actually used to train) a team mate of mine was fighting at FX3 (Mark Chen).

Mark was a regional UK champ at UKMMAC (Not UCMMA which is Cage Rage although that's another story) - not much tape on Mark out there as I can't rip the DVDs we have at the mo but here is one of his fights I found (I think I filmed this - no idea what the edit is from though lol)

So anyhow - Mark wins his fight with a lovely first round KO and we get to sit back and watch the rest of the fights. I'd never heard of Aldo and looking forward to see Daley fight Angerer (Daley had fought on many shows with us and we could see he was destined for big things)

Anyhow - Aldo came out and with the first kick he took Mickeys soul - the power of that low kick you really don't get in the video but sitting right next to the ring the thud was like "oooooooh" - shit just got real! So he goes on to demolish Mickey all set up by those powerful kicks and then does this insane backflip off the ropes - it was seriously one of the craziest displays of excitement/violence/athleticism I had ever witnessed. The crowd was stunned into silence - I knew at this point he would become champion - I know that sounds far fetched but I can back that up. here is the fight:

After the fight I go backstage to get equipment or whatever and we get talking to Aldos camp - Aldo is seated on the floor wearing board shorts and flip flops and we strike up a conversation through his interpreter. He invites us to go train with him whilst hes in the UK but we cant - his team were saying YOU REALLY SHOULD - the guy is sick on the ground but he was staying in another city and it wasn't possible.

Anyhow several things struck me. First - he was sooooooooo humble. He was so humble in fact he seemed smaller than he had in the ring (psychology I guess :) and he was all smiles and kindness. You could tell right then this guy was a genuine nice guy by the way he talked and taking the fight game in his stride and enjoying it.

I knew a bit about Brazil even then and when Aldo explained he lived in the favela it was at this point that the seed was set for my film - I knew this guy would be something big and wanted to follow his career so I wrote a brief treatment and handed it around and began forging a relationship with his camp.

Obviously many things got in the way of making the film - money being one but once Aldo made it to the WEC I may have had the connections and financiers interested but the Zuffa buyout meant access to the fights disappeared in one move. My whole pitch was to film him from the favela to the fight and seeing as I didn't want to use prerecorded fights that left me perusing other options. I won't bore you with that stuff - its 5am here and I'm finishing a night shift so you can tell you focus has shifted from Aldo to others from similar beginnings.

I will say this. Ever since the build up to the first Conor fight and the treatment he received Aldo has changed with regards to his openness. I'm sure he is the same guy with his friends but now he is far more serious and far less likely to smile when talking MMA. He has had to adapt to his fame but more importantly he has had to make a change in how he approaches his profession - in some ways this is a great thing as it is this that has seen him right mistakes and win back the interim (real) belt but I miss the guy who was enjoying the ride and smiling along the way.

There - wrote this when I should be working. It's a little dumb. But whatever

I should add. Mark is in the board shorts in the first vid and it's not really worth watching due to the music and quality etc - its there just for the story :)

Good stuff. The trailer for the Aldo movie they have made actually looks surprisingly good. I'm sure there are a lot of other guys out there with crazy stories though.

Good stuff. The trailer for the Aldo movie they have made actually looks surprisingly good. I'm sure there are a lot of other guys out there with crazy stories though.

Film is getting critical acclaim in Brazil. It's also one of the highest grossing domestic films since Elite Squad. Can't wait to watch it

Film is getting critical acclaim in Brazil. It's also one of the highest grossing domestic films since Elite Squad. Can't wait to watch it

Last I heard there weren't any plans to release it outside of Brazil which is a bit of a shame. I don't want to watch it before the title unification fight anyway though because being a fan of Conor's I don't want to become emotionally attached to a fictionalised version of Aldo, haha

Thanks for sharing, great story.

Why do they list Aldo's record as 7-7 during the fighter intro?

but I miss the guy who was enjoying the ride and smiling along the way.
Deep shit there.

But yes... UFC, Conor and fame seems to have fucked up Aldo a little bit.

The guy is still amazing and a should be a role model for kids more than shitty rappers and cocky guys.

Thanks for sharing, great story.

Why do they list Aldo's record as 7-7 during the fighter intro?

My guess is they did not know. Which is interesting because someone lied somewhere. Either they invented that record or the video editor got it wrong (It was not a live broadcast) or (equally as likely) the promotor either lied so Mickey would take the fight or was lied to by NU so Jose could fight. I have no idea which. We knew he was someone to watch out for as the rumours were already going around. Back then any Brazilian fighter was already deemed a serious threat on the ground. There was an aura of invincibility around Brazilian fighters because the fight game in the UK was still really in its infancy. Don't get me wrong - my instructor Jess Liaudin had been fighting for ten years prior but it was very much a feel your way kind of sport. He had travelled to Japan to fight and learn, it was still rare to have BJJ schools with black belts from Brazil teaching - now they are e everywhere. So, just the fact he was Brazilian and had flown over to fight meant we expected him to be a hard fight. I remember asking "Who's that?" and someone saying "Just watch, I've heard this will be good". Mickey was no slouch - if you check his record his loses are all to the best in the UK, people like James Doolan, Neil Seery and Phil Harris - people who ended up fighting in the UFC.

My guess is they did not know. Which is interesting because someone lied somewhere. Either they invented that record or the video editor got it wrong (It was not a live broadcast) or (equally as likely) the promotor either lied so Mickey would take the fight or was lied to by NU so Jose could fight. I have no idea which. We knew he was someone to watch out for as the rumours were already going around. Back then any Brazilian fighter was already deemed a serious threat on the ground. There was an aura of invincibility around Brazilian fighters because the fight game in the UK was still really in its infancy. Don't get me wrong - my instructor Jess Liaudin had been fighting for ten years prior but it was very much a feel your way kind of sport. He had travelled to Japan to fight and learn, it was still rare to have BJJ schools with black belts from Brazil teaching - now they are e everywhere. So, just the fact he was Brazilian and had flown over to fight meant we expected him to be a hard fight. I remember asking "Who's that?" and someone saying "Just watch, I've heard this will be good". Mickey was no slouch - if you check his record his loses are all to the best in the UK, people like James Doolan, Neil Seery and Phil Harris - people who ended up fighting in the UFC.

My brother used to train occasionally at Alliance like 7 years ago (he's a pretty high level grappler, got brought in for a couple weeks to help Dominic Cruz train NoGi before a fight) and we were watching WEC 38 and Rolando Perez pops up on the screen. My brother goes "I've seen this guy training before and he's tough as nails, has a really awkward style and is super-lanky. Who is he fighting?" I had never seen Aldo fight but had heard the pre-fight hype and it was heavy, so I told him "Some dude from Brazil that is murdering people with leg kicks."

We watched Rolando get flat-lined with a counter knee off a body jab and my brother looked at me like...

giphy.gif

Instantly moved from DON'T CARE to CARE and been watching him ever since. In my opinion he is the most complete MMA fighter ever, if you compared him to the other greats it's pretty clear based on skill set:

ANDERSON
Striking - 10
Wrestling - 6
Grappling - 7
Athleticism - 9
Fight IQ - 8
TOTAL = 40

FEDOR
Striking - 7
Wrestling - 7
Grappling - 8
Athleticism - 8
Fight IQ - 8
TOTAL = 40

JON JONES
Striking - 7
Wrestling - 10
Grappling - 7
Athleticism - 10
Fight IQ - 7
TOTAL = 44

GSP
Striking - 8
Wrestling - 10
Grappling - 7
Athleticism - 10
Fight IQ - 10
TOTAL = 45

JOSE ALDO
Striking - 10
Wrestling - 9
Grappling - 9
Athleticism - 10
Fight IQ - 8
TOTAL = 46

Aldo is legendary, can't wait to see him get a chance to payback McG (praying this happens by the end of the year).

My brother used to train occasionally at Alliance like 7 years ago (he's a pretty high level grappler, got brought in for a couple weeks to help Dominic Cruz train NoGi before a fight) and we were watching WEC 38 and Rolando Perez pops up on the screen. My brother goes "I've seen this guy training before and he's tough as nails, has a really awkward style and is super-lanky. Who is he fighting?" I had never seen Aldo fight but had heard the pre-fight hype and it was heavy, so I told him "Some dude from Brazil that is murdering people with leg kicks."

We watched Rolando get flat-lined with a counter knee off a body jab and my brother looked at me like...

giphy.gif

Instantly moved from DON'T CARE to CARE and been watching him ever since. In my opinion he is the most complete MMA fighter ever, if you compared him to the other greats it's pretty clear based on skill set:

ANDERSON
Striking - 10
Wrestling - 6
Grappling - 7
Athleticism - 9
Fight IQ - 8
TOTAL = 40

FEDOR
Striking - 7
Wrestling - 7
Grappling - 8
Athleticism - 8
Fight IQ - 8
TOTAL = 40

JON JONES
Striking - 7
Wrestling - 10
Grappling - 7
Athleticism - 10
Fight IQ - 7
TOTAL = 44

GSP
Striking - 8
Wrestling - 10
Grappling - 7
Athleticism - 10
Fight IQ - 10
TOTAL = 45

JOSE ALDO
Striking - 10
Wrestling - 9
Grappling - 9
Athleticism - 10
Fight IQ - 8
TOTAL = 46

Aldo is legendary, can't wait to see him get a chance to payback McG (praying this happens by the end of the year).

I'm in complete agreement. There is no way he is not P4P best since WEC - crazy how corrupt the ranking are IMO

Thank you guys glad you enjoyed it. I've got some Lee Murray, Anderson Silva, Matusi, and Bisping stories too. I'll try write them up - nothing spectacular but offer a little insight into MMA in the UK back then

this is the kind of thread sherdog badly needs more of

Nice story, TS. Out of all the events I've been to, 200 was the first time I've seen him fight live. Was probably the last major fighter I wanted to see live but hadn't until then...was supposed to be him versus Conor.

Back