Tozi pass [ ]

Technical stand up [ ]

Mat return [ ]

Technical stand up again because you got mat returned, you fairy [ ]

Texas cloverleaf [ ]

One handed guillotine [ ]

Snap down [ ]

'One handed guillotine' [ ]

I like closed guard pummeling first. The top guy fights to free himself while the bottom guy fights to prevent the plum so he can't get can-openner'd

Why focus on defending a bullshit technique (can-openner)?

Upa was the technique that Rorion showed that hooked Al Bundy. Basically he mounted Al Bundy, and Bundy couldn't get out. Then reversed, and Rorion got out in one second.

Why focus on defending a bullshit technique (can-openner)?

You learn to defend the can-opener and to pummel to overhook guard and keep the top guy's posture broken, all at the same time. Because it is such a dense drill with a smaller number of components, people can engage in it right away. It has skill crossover with setting up all the overhook guard moves and with defending strikes when you work on MMA or self defense.

Besides that, many people are vulnerable to the can-opener when fighting larger men or even smaller if they haven't developed the skill and strength to keep their posture strong. Many people stay vulnerable to it for a long time. Worse, everyone with a Muay Thai background will naturally try to use it, even if they don't know what it is for or what it is called. They will think they are doing the Plum and that they are being technical.

Yuck. All that stuff sounds boring.

I teach the rear naked choke.

Great sub. Used by every body type in every bjj style.

Teaches how to reach the primary objective. (Ending the fight. )

Teaches the value of positioning. (Back control. )

Fun to do to people so students actually come back a second day.

"Judo not supposed to be fun. Judo supposed to be pain."

hip bump sweep was my first technique learned

The first thing a brand new person should learn on their first day is "direction". They don't need to learn any moves or techniques.

They need to get a quick picture of where they are supposed to go, not what move to do.

Most new people are clueless of what their objective is for pretty much all situations. So to give them an idea of "direction" on their first day will help them more than any technique.

From my experience though, not many people approach it this way for some reason.

Jason Scully

Back