First Squat and Deadlift form check

Good advice in this thread.

I would add, TS, that it looks like you can afford to add more weight to you work sets since they seem to be moving like practice sets should.

Roy your lifting sequence on DLs is way off.

You pop with your hips, straighten your legs, and then you do like a GM/SLDL.

Additionally you round both upper and lower back. I highly suggest that you try to DL with an arched upper back. It's not quite as efficient but starting out it's probably much better for you..

-Start with hips more back to where your shins are perpendicular to the floor(as vertical as possible)..
-Bring the bar closer to your shins, about 0.5-1 inch from touching your shins
-Initiate the lift by pushing the legs through the ground, your hips should not rise until the weight leaves the floor
-Simultaneously/or just after you begin forcefully pushing legs through the floor, forcefully contract your back, glutes, and hamstrings
-Push hips through at the top by squeezing your glutes and straighten your back

Roy your lifting sequence on DLs is way off.

You pop with your hips, straighten your legs, and then you do like a GM/SLDL.

Additionally you round both upper and lower back. I highly suggest that you try to DL with an arched upper back. It's not quite as efficient but starting out it's probably much better for you..

-Start with hips more back to where your shins are perpendicular to the floor(as vertical as possible)..
-Bring the bar closer to your shins, about 0.5-1 inch from touching your shins
-Initiate the lift by pushing the legs through the ground, your hips should not rise until the weight leaves the floor
-Simultaneously/or just after you begin forcefully pushing legs through the floor, forcefully contract your back, glutes, and hamstrings
-Push hips through at the top by squeezing your glutes and straighten your back

Ouch :icon_cry2.

Looks like I have a lot of work to do with my DL. I'll definitely try to apply all of your suggestions to the best of my ability.

I'd like to thank everyone for their constructive feedback, I have this thread bookmarked and I will definitely be reading through it and referring back to it several times in the near future.

I'm sure I should take the time to do a form check on my big 3 I bet I would get some great advice lol. I just can't seem to force myself to take the time to record a video.

Not sure how my idea of settling into a pulling form that you are most comfortable with, even if it is not textbook perfect, is wrong.

You are wrong about KK's hips rising first.

Even if you weren't, comparing what a beginner lifter should be doing to what KK does is foolish.

And just because your form is the most comfortable for you doesn't mean it's best for you. If your hips are rising first, then it likely means that you don't have tension in your hamstrings or your back rounds as you begin the lift. Neither is a good way to start a pull.

Good technique is often not at all comfortable, especially at first. Developing enough tension/tightness for a solid lift at relatively heavier weights is not what I would consider comfortable.

Back