first spar..first injury

drumerdud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
aryt...so i had my first MMA spar today..and i hav eto say..it went pretty good....striking..im on the pretty good side..grappling..i konw the basics.....my opponent on the other hand...REALLy fast striker..really good grappler....

so i figure..ok this guys fast...and he knows hes good in striking..so i figure...counter box this guy..so i did..and that created frustration...which made him attack even more..so i took him down and ..and went ground and pound..allthe way..hehe
on my 5th takedown though...my shoulder kinda..like..poped or something...but i just kept going..coz it didnt hurt much then...anwyays..i got him in side mount..then full mount...got offbalance...was int he guard....then triangle choked him...then won..

so eveyrthing was good..but after the fight.i noticed..everytime i lifted my shoulder up..it would hurt...i konw i know..go see a doctor....u guys are not doctors..blalbal...but yea..i will..in time.haha
but was hping u guys konw what this shoulder problem mightbe...probly something i can just take a rest then be ok??hopefuly??..it doesnt hurt much...only wen i lift it up....and another question is...so...what should i do now?? i cant lift i can train..

Not gonna say not to goto a doctor, but they'll probably just give you a list of exercises to do. If its what I'm thinking, you probably strained the joint tissues around your shoulder (don't know if its ligaments or what) that hold it in real tight. So those are inflamed and maybe your arms not quite right.

Got something similar at work.

Doctor had me do exercises and you probably would want to go light on it.

A few I remember are,

1.) Put your arm out to your side horizontal and make little circles going bigger to smaller and slower to faster.

2.) Take a towel and hold it at the small of your back with your good arm, and at your neck with your messed up one. So you now have the towel stretched across your back with your elbow pointing up. Stretch the messed up one out.

Flip the arms around with the messed up one at the small of your back. Stretch it with your good arm at your neck.

Can't think of the other ones right now.

But heck, you may have something really wonky wrong with it and doing this could aggravate it. Then you might be wishing you went to the doctor and have him check it out, instead of listening to me.

There's no bla bla bla about it, go see a doctor. Random people over the internet can't help you nearly as much as someone who helps people with body problems for a living seeing you in person.

fine fine. i will first thing tom. tnx for the inputs though guys..!
cheers!

drumerdud said:
aryt...so i had my first MMA spar today..and i hav eto say..it went pretty good....striking..im on the pretty good side..grappling..i konw the basics.....my opponent on the other hand...REALLy fast striker..really good grappler....

so i figure..ok this guys fast...and he knows hes good in striking..so i figure...counter box this guy..so i did..and that created frustration...which made him attack even more..so i took him down and ..and went ground and pound..allthe way..hehe
on my 5th takedown though...my shoulder kinda..like..poped or something...but i just kept going..coz it didnt hurt much then...anwyays..i got him in side mount..then full mount...got offbalance...was int he guard....then triangle choked him...then won..

so eveyrthing was good..but after the fight.i noticed..everytime i lifted my shoulder up..it would hurt...i konw i know..go see a doctor....u guys are not doctors..blalbal...but yea..i will..in time.haha
but was hping u guys konw what this shoulder problem mightbe...probly something i can just take a rest then be ok??hopefuly??..it doesnt hurt much...only wen i lift it up....and another question is...so...what should i do now?? i cant lift i can train..

was it from throwing a hook too hard? if so i've had this many times and the older i get the longer it takes to heal up. if you do a lot of pushups and stuff, you gotta be careful what you do with all that power! :icon_twis

haha i feel bad for every guy that goes an sees a doctor every time he's injured. sounds like a waste of money

Seems like just another every day injury. I would wait it out 4 days and see if it still hurts.

depending on what actual movement you made when u hurt it..... it COULD be your rotator cuff which are all the tendons and ligaments and all that good stuff that hold the shoulder bones together. Been there done that. The second time out of three, the only way it healed was by doing rotator cuff exercises but very lightly. Good luck

it was wen i went for a takedown....freak accident.haha..anwyays

well i didnt go to the docotr anymore.i figure..it doesnt hurt THAT much..only when i lift it..so just rest it. So its my 3rd day and so far, its getting better. I did some stretching excercises and stuf and now i can rotate it a bit without the pain. One scary thing i notice though is when i rotate it..i hear a pop on my shoulder. This is baaad..haha...il lgive it one week of rest then if it persists..i shall go see a doctor:D!

It sounds like you may have separated your acromioclavicular joint. It happened to me in wrestling when i got a double on someone. Hurts like a MF. GO TO THE DOCTOR. I needed physical therapy for 3 months.

All I can say is it's better to be out for a few weeks than a few months. Shoulder/rotator cuff can be delicate and I know many people who have injurys there. If youre questioning wether your injury is serious or not and you feel unsure it's just best to see the doctor. Alot of bad injurys start off as something not soo serious because the person says "aww it's not that bad etc" so they work out on it and instead of taking a little while to heal they do extensive damage and they mess them up. I'm sure bunch of people in here got way better advice as i'm not a chiropractor or anything. I learned this lesson a long time ago without having to get a serious injury although I came close, especially if you're like myself and I can't stop training because I love it soo much. It's just best to take a break, hope this helps a lil.

Back