First sorta major Injury! UCL sprain

ProdigyOfZen

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So 2 and a half weeks ago I had my left elbow popped in a key lock. There was no pain when the move was being applied (super flexible shoulders, thats about all i got) then all of a sudden my elbow pops loud enough the guy stops.

It felt fine and I told him it was alright. This happened at a tourny and the guy was trying to crank it really hard or anything. Finished that match then fought again and won third place.

My arm was sore the next day and I had small bruise on my left elbow on the medial side where the Ulnar Collateral Ligament is.

Ever hear of tommie john surgery? thats what baseball pitchers get when they blow out their UCL with a grade III tear. Went to doc and got MRI but waiting on results. It should be okay just a grade I sprain but man it is annoying as hell.

I tried doing just technique the last two weeks with no rolling. But now it just keeps getting super inflammed so I have stopped completely. Looks like i will be out another 6 weeks. 8 weeks in total just like the Doctor said. "take 8 weeks off" Been seeing a BJJ black belt chiropractor who has been working on it.

Either way this is super annoying and I can't risk tearing it worse and being out 1 year plus. This has to be one of the worse injuries you can have. SUCKS because I am about to get my blue belt in less than a year training.

I'm sorry to hear that man. My instructor told me something that helped when I jacked my leg. I was really jumpy to get back to training before I was ready. He told me that the six to eight weeks I'll be taking off will be a flash in the pan a few years from now when I look back on it.

Ask yourself this. Are you like me, in that you plan on training BJJ for as much a part of your life as possible? If so, take the time off, heal up, and get back on the mats when healthy. The time will fly by man.

Thanks man. Yea I am competiting as much as possble etc and plan to go all the way to black and beyond. BUT I really want to get back haha. Probably going to take this month off.

Back