First round First minute question

Yes but what were discussing is specifically the poster saying "First round First minute". If we take seconds away and words like "within", and just have to say if it should be "first " or "second" minute on the poster for it to be correct, what would you say? I take it you would say Second minute?

-what do you say when you're referring to 0-60 seconds of a fight?

-what do you say when you're referring to 60-120 seconds of a fight?

-if the fight clock is counting up from zero, what minute are we in if it is reads ":42"?

-what minute are we in if it is reads "1:42"?

Yes but what were discussing is specifically the poster saying "First round First minute". If we take seconds away and words like "within", and just have to say if it should be "first " or "second" minute on the poster for it to be correct, what would you say? I take it you would say Second minute?

If the poster said one round, one minute it would have more basis for your argument since only one minute completed. But the KO occured during the second minute of the fight, not the first thats not arguable.

Otherwise what minute of the fight is 0:00- 0:59.

-what do you say when you're referring to 0-60 seconds of a fight?

-what do you say when you're referring to 60-120 seconds of a fight?

-if the fight clock is counting up from zero, what minute are we in if it is reads ":42"?

-what minute are we in if it is reads "1:42"?

This is the problem - 30 seconds is less then a minute. It is "within" a minute. As I stated many times, I agree that the correct term would be "First round, within second minute", but with the poster the choice is between "first minute" and "second minute". That is the choices you have.

This is the problem - 30 seconds is less then a minute. It is "within" a minute. As I stated many times, I agree that the correct term would be "First round, within second minute", but with the poster the choice is between "first minute" and "second minute". That is the choices you have.

second minute.

if you wanted to go the "but only 1 minute had passed" route. the poster would need to say "one round, one minute" but even that would be misleading.

but "first minute" means first 60 seconds

since you think first minute applies to 1:42. what would you say if it happened in the first 0-59 seconds? remember we aren't using numbers we are using "first", "second", "third"...

and first means

adjective
being before all others with respect to time, order, rank, importance, etc., used as the ordinal number of one: the first edition; the first vice president.

so do you define the first minute as 0-1:59?

Round = 3 minutes.
first minute = 0:00 -1:00
second minute 1:01-2:00
third minute = 2:01 -3:00

Otherwise there wil be no third minute since the round ends as soon as the clock hits 3:00 and 2 first minutes 0:00-1:00 and 1:01 to 1:59 its not even debatable.

If the poster said one round, one minute it would have more basis for your argument since only one minute completed. But the KO occured during the second minute of the fight, not the first thats not arguable.

Otherwise what minute of the fight is 0:00- 0:59.

Well that would be "within the 1 minute mark" or "less then a minute" as 1 minute is 60 seconds. 2 minutes had not passed, they had not hit the "2 minute mark"...It took him less then 2 minutes, it took him more then a minute.

I think the big problem here is, that when you take away "seconds" and words like "within", "less then" and "more then", this gets quite fuzzy. As in....If you have to drive for 65 minutes, would you say that's a 1 hour drive or a 2 hour drive? Bah dont even respond I am giving myself a headache here:D

Round = 3 minutes.

Otherwise there wil be no third minute since the round ends as soon as the clock hits 3:00 and 2 first minutes 0:00-1:00 and 1:01 to 1:59 its not even debatable.

Hmm yes makes all too much sense when you spell it out to me like that:icon_idea. I am going to go to sleep and revisit this thread when I get up and see how much an ass I made of myself. Thanks for the replies.

Round = 3 minutes.

huh? there are 3 minutes, if something happens between 0-1min that would be in the minute, if it happens between 1:01min to 2Min then it's in the second minute, if it's between 2;01-300 it's in the third minute. how can there not be a third minute? it's 3 complete minutes. so you are saying the bell ringing at the 3:00 mark eliminates a whole minute? Arghhhh, the shit our bored asses argue about.

Liston quit in that fight. Thats all there is to that.

How the hell did this debate go on for 3 pages?

After the first minute, you're in the second minute.

"2 minutes" and "second minute" are not saying the same thing.

huh? there are 3 minutes, if something happens between 0-1min that would be in the minute, if it happens between 1:01min to 2Min then it's in the second minute, if it's between 2;01-300 it's in the third minute. how can there not be a third minute? it's 3 complete minutes. so you are saying the bell ringing at the 3:00 mark eliminates a whole minute? Arghhhh, the shit our bored asses argue about.

huh ? you just reposted what he said to the other guy

I was pointing the flawss of saying that 1:42 is the first minute (you will have two first minutes 0:00-1:59 and since 2:00 to 2:59 will be the second there will be no 3d).

Would you say the knockdown was at 1 minute 42 seconds, or would you say 2 minutes minus 18 seconds? If it is 1 minute 42 seconds, the correct usage imo. would be First minute as the second minute has not "started".

Using your logic if someone knocked someone out within 60 seconds then the quote would be "First round, naughth minute"... which self evidently doesn't make sense.

"One minute" and "first minute" are different things. The former is an exact measurement of time, the second is a threshold. The first minute is between 0 and 60 seconds... a minute is 60 seconds worth of time... therefore once you have reached 61 seconds you have passed the threshold for the "first" minute.

Let's apply it to a different situation. When describing a sprint, the winner is described as having taken the lead within the first 10 metres. Using your logic that would mean they took the lead between 10-1.999999999.... metres when I'd say it's self-evident that it means with 0-9.9999999.... metres.

we should just make it real simple and break everything down into 100'ths of seconds.

If it happened at 1:42 it did not happen in the first minute.

would the correct term be "First round Second minute"?

Yes.

I think you guys are overcomplicating the issue.

I think they just figured 1st minute. 1st round sounded better than 1st minute and 42 seconds. 1st round.

I was pointing the flawss of saying that 1:42 is the first minute (you will have two first minutes 0:00-1:59 and since 2:00 to 2:59 will be the second there will be no 3d).

If someone was knocked out in the 180th second of a 3 minute fight, that would actually be "minute four"? Or do the bell actually ring at 2:59?

1st - 0:00-0:59
2nd - 1:00-1:59
3rd - 2:00-2:59

But anyways I agree with you, the correct would be "Second minute". 5 days of working 12 hour night-shifts must have scrambled my brain:)

Thanks to all of you for taking your time to enlighten me.

Back