First real bio on Hector Macho Camacho. My Amazon Review.

mozfonky

We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.
@Gold
Reaction score
https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?as...e=kpe&ref_=cm_sw_r_kb_dp_DJRVNYKSVRA0D3Y2AP8P
Long overdue book on the man. Very detailed and gave plenty of insight into Macho's background as a person and a fighter. As closely as I followed Macho, i didn't know that it was Bobby Lee Velez who was mainly responsible for his developement as a well schooled boxer. I also never heard a whole lot about the Billy Giles (manager) breakup other than the "drowning in drugs" from Giles and vague complaints about money. It's revelatory in many ways about the behind the scenes character of the man, some things i knew and some I just suspected to be the case. I always thought Camacho was emotionally vulnerable, easy to wound by things the average fighter might overlook, his crying at a Duran presser and some of the other anecdotes bear this out, even though, Macho once cried on national TV and basically came across as an emotional wreck for us fans. The parts of Macho that were unknown were the stories like how he asked "are we just gonna leave her here?" to the mother of his girlfriend when he helped move her into college. It was a vignette showing not only Hector's caring and vulnerability but also his complete absence of how the world outside his own operated. Another interesting part was how he reacted to his first loss. After the Haugen fight, with a multimillion Chavez match on the line Hector blows it against a fighter not really in his league. After what we hear about how hurt he got by criticism from the fans or the media, he dealt with it all very well. His cornermen were actually more upset than he was. That can be seen two ways, 1. He dealt with a major loss very well and with grace. 2. He didn't care much about losing. Hard to read really but it's one of the two, one is good, the other isn't.
So, why knock off half a star? Couple minor things but they were key for me. Amy Camacho, Hector's ex-wife was not mentioned once in the book and some of the occurrences that landed Hector in jail and hastened his downward spiral are totally glossed over. Amy doesn't really say much about it in the recent docu either, she says "everyone called the police", which to me, meant she called the police and didn't want people blaming her for the beginning of the end for Camacho. Indeed, Macho left America after that final legal hurdle and went from the proverbial frying pan into the fire. Why omit Amy? Well, knowing how petty authors can be, maybe it was because he requested interviews and was denied. Maybe he spoke to her and was threatened with lawsuits. Who knows, but it was an important part of the story. I've known authors to take digs at people when they were trying to push their book, either towards people who wouldn't help them or even authors of previous books who they were trying to usurp.
The other curious omission was story that Hector got into a real fight with Teddy Atlas at a New York gym. It's a huge part of the Hector lore and not one that really has been reliably verified. Teddy has told his side but there's more. Giudice mentions how there wasn't enough cash on hand to bury Camacho, he mentions an old friend (Robert "Pee Wee" Rucker) but doesn't mention that Teddy Atlas also gave a significant amount when it was needed for a decent burial. Atlas always seems easy enough to get ahold of, why complete lack of a mention? Strange.
Finally, It seems that nearly no one mentions just how great they thought Hector was going to be from the start. Many knowledgable writers, trainers and boxing people thought that Hector was a sure fire All-Time-Great. The quotes are still out there with the likes of Harold Lederman saying when he first saw Camacho he got the feeling that he was a fighter who would never lose. There are the articles from the early 80's who asserted that the looming Mancini-Camacho bout would be a total mismatch in Hector's favor. It seems that all of these people just held it against Hector that he squandered a once in a generation talent and just won't forgive him for it because they turned out to be wrong when the drugs and the inactivity took root.
I never believe Biographies one hundred percent and of course they aren't zero percent truth either. People still living tend to exaggerate, minimize and completely make things up either to make a subject or themselves look better or worse. I'd give this book an eighty percent though and that's pretty good.
Still, a great book, I couldn't stop reading, had it done in a couple days. Hopefully, there will be more written by others.

Last edited:
Not a structured review, sorry. You string a lot of incoherent trivialities together. Thats confusing for potential readers who are merely roughly familiar with Camacho.

Not a structured review, sorry. You string a lot of incoherent trivialities together. Thats confusing for potential readers who are merely roughly familiar with Camacho.
sorry back.

It's his book, it's my opinion, good book, missing some things. People familiar enough to buy the book will know what I refer to. Bottom line, he left out too much, how do you omit an ex-wife? Not even mention her? I think it's a big problem and very strange. Only he would know why he did it.

Thanks for the review. I’m guessing you give it four stars out of five.
i tried to give it four and a half but I couldn't. Four would be too harsh I think so I gave him five. The major flaw though is still the voices he didn't get. No Eddie Montalvo, no Rudy Gonzalez and most strangely, no mention of Amy Camacho. All people who knew Hector about as well as anyone could know him. Still, mentioning a late girlfriend who planned to marry Macho and her stories almost make up for some of this stuff. I mean, I like the info even if it's hurtful, this particular woman says hector was living in a roach infested apartment building near the end, sometime before he went back full time to PR. It really is, like many bios, a story going full circle.

Are Amazon users going to read a book about a book.... ;) Plus. Was Camacho a contributor? Could be like the movie, book, life of Antwan Fisher all by Antwan Fisher... You know they are only going to put out or emblish the story a bit to be one-sided in favor of those involved...

Are Amazon users going to read a book about a book.... ;) Plus. Was Camacho a contributor? Could be like the movie, book, life of Antwan Fisher all by Antwan Fisher... You know they are only going to put out or emblish the story a bit to be one-sided in favor of those involved...
camacho was quoted from old interviews, but you know, having read as many bios, I'm always skeptical of everything. Take for example, you read five different books on Malcolm X you'll find that they all describe a different man. Even the "real" bio by Alex Haley has some stuff in there that just isn't true or exaggerated. The story of Malcolm reading the dictionary to learn from was meant as something to inspire others, not because he needed it. Malcolm learned to read quite well before he ever went to prison. What's more, in the prologue, Haley really got a chance to push his views because Malcolm was dead before the book was completed.

With Macho's book, like I say, Probably about 80 percent accurate which is great as bios go. Doesn't make sense to not interview the wife and as long as the above review is, I didn't mention that the other thing the book is missing is a highly detailed account of the events leading up to his leaving the mainland for the killing ground of Puerto Rico, that's also a fairly big omission that even the few articles that came out post-death covered much better.

I wholeheartedly agree with the tremendous amounts of potential he kind of wasted. At 130 and 135 he was quite something to behold.

I once wrote an Amazon review for a book a former student of mine wrote.

My review was a haiku.

Sold out in paperback, this book might sway me into getting a kindle/tablet reader thingy

Back