First Post... Video clips.

Darkslide632

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Nick, I'm 26 years old from Maine. I have been practicing/playing judo/ ju-jistu for almost 9 years as well as doing some MMA stuff within the last couple of years. I figured I'd throw some videos up to introduce myself... some (Most) of them range back to 4-5 years ago, but we're slowly starting to collect new footage.

Striking
The ol' one two combo
Me on the recieving end of the ol' 1 2
Me eating a left
One to the body and one to the head, on the ground

Grappling

Me failing a firemans carry on the ground
Spinning into a knee bar

Throwing
Hiza Guruma 1
Hiza Guruma 2
Soto Makikomi
Morote Seoi Nage
Uke Goshi
Salvaged Uchi Mata

Harai Goshi is my throw. Here are some clips of me throwing it.

Harai Goshi - 1
Harai Goshi - 2
Harai Goshi - 3
Harai Goshi - 4
Harai Goshi - 5

Hope you guys enjoy the vids.

good stuff man...they should make this a sticky, because it shows a lot of good technique

welcome

sweet videos, fun to watch. Makes me wanna hipthrow the shit out of someone

NeelyWCU said:
good stuff man...they should make this a sticky, because it shows a lot of good technique

welcome

Hey, thanks! I'm glad you liked the videos. We have a lot more stuff on tape and it is more MMA than Judo/ju-jitsu, but as of right now I can't get my hands on them. I am working on it.

Darkslide632 said:
Harai Goshi is my throw. Here's some clips of me throwing it.
QUOTE]

I noticed several times you seemed to intentionally set-up Harai-Goshi. What set-ups are you using?

Also, have you competed in many BJJ (Gi) tournaments? Coming from a small background in Judo, I can usually spot a good Judo guy at a tournament. Because my wrestling experience is greater than my Judo, I usually take the shoot-from-the-outside approach against Judo masters. If that doesn't work, I pull guard with some sort of wishful submission attempt. Either way, I am usually just thankful to be on the ground without soaring through the air first.

How do you counter BJJ guys who pull guard?

Practice those guard passes. I think, especially when passing guard, explosive strength and flexibility help.

Looks like you're sparring on hard ground, and not mats. I'd never dare to sparr on hard ground.

Those were some great throws, man. Really nice technique. I took some Aiki-Jitsu for a while, about a year ago. We worked a lot of throws. I miss it a lot. We don't work grappling at the school I study at, now. I think we may at some point. We're supposed to get a guy to start teaching a Judo class, but from what my wife says (she knows the guy, used to take judo at the college from him) he can be a lot of talk. Not that he isn't good, it's just that he doesn't always do what he says he's going to do. It would love to get back into grappling. I'm thinking about this BJJ dojo in Liverpool, NY, about 40 minutes from my place, to supplement the stand-up I get from my current school, but the money thing is an issue. I could only probably make it once a week, if that, and I don't know if I'd have to pay for a full membership.

Anyway, enough about me. Great post. Thanks. And, I agree about the stickies.

Coach Couzo said:
Darkslide632 said:
Harai Goshi is my throw. Here's some clips of me throwing it.

I noticed several times you seemed to intentionally set-up Harai-Goshi. What set-ups are you using?

Also, have you competed in many BJJ (Gi) tournaments? Coming from a small background in Judo, I can usually spot a good Judo guy at a tournament. Because my wrestling experience is greater than my Judo, I usually take the shoot-from-the-outside approach against Judo masters. If that doesn't work, I pull guard with some sort of wishful submission attempt. Either way, I am usually just thankful to be on the ground without soaring through the air first.

How do you counter BJJ guys who pull guard?

Hey there. I set up Harai with a number of throws. 9 times out of 10 it is O Uchi Gari and/or Hiza Guruma. It's not uncommon for me to go left side Hiza, right size Hiza, O Uchi, Harai. The whole idea is to get movement. I Use Hiza because you can't stiff arm against it. I am capable of throwing Hiza Guruma for Ippon, but usually it is just a setup. Same with O Uchi Gari... I can knock people down with it, but a lot of times I with enter for it without good kazushi so that they will step over it, which kills their opposite leg and allows me to enter for Harai.

I don't compete in BJJ... I am in Maine and there isn't much going on up here as far as BJJ goes. When I am not working on Judo specifically I am doing MMA stuff... So when someone tries to pull guard on me, I punch them in the mouth. If my fist connects with their head at the same time we hit the mat, all the better for me :)

That being said, I HAVE competed in the Maine Skirmish and have run into it a few times. Generally I am just confident enough to fight out of someones guard... though I hate it. I like to throw, so I usually try to make them pay for it. Take a cross grip with my right arm, driving my elbow into their gut and step in for an O Uchi or Ko Soto. In the event that I am trying to keep them for going to guard at all, I'll take a grip and use violent downward movements to keep their hips behind them... As soon as they try to straighten up to get their hips in, I throw. Their upward movement leaves them open for it.... even if it is just a single arm grip into a drop seoi.

As far as mats go, we have wrestling mats. They are pretty hard, but that just cuts down on tolio and makes sure your ukemi is up to par :) We very very rarely workout without a mat.... usually only if we're just boxing/kickboxing.

As far as playing Jujistu goes... I disagree. I play all the time and enjoy it. I'm not going to get into an argument about semantics.

I compressed the videos so that they should be WAAAY quicker to download.

I also added a few more videos.

right on, I like the videos.

What do you mean when you say it is "my throw"? Did you invent it?

Nice stuff man, ive never seen Judo in action before but i like what i see. I train boxing and sub wrestling but when i move next year maybe there will be a judo place nearbye so i can learn some throws as well. Would you say a good ammount of Judo will work without the gi? I know MMA is one thing becuase there is really no clothing to grab onto but say on the street, could you do most/many jude throws on someone who has on a t-shirt and jeans?

LCDforMe said:
right on, I like the videos.

What do you mean when you say it is "my throw"? Did you invent it?

Well, ask any Judoka if they have a throw, and generally you'll get a "yes". There is an actual name for it: Tokui Waza (Favorite Technique). Harai Goshi happens to be a throw that I have specialized in. I have drilled it into my head for 9 years and at this point I can throw it from virtually any position because it is so engrained into my muscle memory that it is completely reactive. It is SO natural for me, that I actually have a hard time turning my back and entering for any other throw, because my leg naturally wants to come up and sweep.

As far as Judo working without a gi, the answer is yes. The standup stuff is great obviously, there are plenty of throws that work without a gi and the footwork and throw defense will help keep you from being taken down. I do plenty of no gi stuff because the guy I work out with fights MMA and I am able to throw him regardless. Obviously not usually as impressive as throws with something to grab onto, but effective nonetheless. Obviously the groundwork works with or without a gi. I wouldn't go so far as to say "most" throws will be applicable in a no gi situation, but in my opinion there are plenty that DO work.

Back