First Post... Video clips.

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Darkslide632, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Darkslide632

Darkslide632 Brown Belt

Hi, my name is Nick, I'm 26 years old from Maine. I have been practicing/playing judo/ ju-jistu for almost 9 years as well as doing some MMA stuff within the last couple of years. I figured I'd throw some videos up to introduce myself... some (Most) of them range back to 4-5 years ago, but we're slowly starting to collect new footage.

Striking
    The ol' one two combo
    Me on the recieving end of the ol' 1 2
    Me eating a left
    One to the body and one to the head, on the ground

Grappling

Me failing a firemans carry on the ground
    Spinning into a knee bar

Throwing
    Hiza Guruma 1
    Hiza Guruma 2
    Soto Makikomi
    Morote Seoi Nage
    Uke Goshi
    Salvaged Uchi Mata

Harai Goshi is my throw. Here are some clips of me throwing it.

Harai Goshi - 1
    Harai Goshi - 2
    Harai Goshi - 3
    Harai Goshi - 4
    Harai Goshi - 5

Hope you guys enjoy the vids.

2. NeelyWCU

NeelyWCU Brown Belt

good stuff man...they should make this a sticky, because it shows a lot of good technique

welcome

3. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Banned Banned

sweet videos, fun to watch. Makes me wanna hipthrow the shit out of someone

4. Darkslide632

Darkslide632 Brown Belt

Hey, thanks! I'm glad you liked the videos. We have a lot more stuff on tape and it is more MMA than Judo/ju-jitsu, but as of right now I can't get my hands on them. I am working on it.

5. Coach Couzo

Coach Couzo Orange Belt

6. tinker_190

tinker_190 Brown Belt

Practice those guard passes. I think, especially when passing guard, explosive strength and flexibility help.

7. Hamit Aktas

Hamit Aktas Amateur Fighter

Looks like you're sparring on hard ground, and not mats. I'd never dare to sparr on hard ground.

8. KillaKix

KillaKix Brown Belt

Standing by a brick wall, with a can of spray pain
    good shit dude

9. farmboy

farmboy Banned Banned

Those were some great throws, man. Really nice technique. I took some Aiki-Jitsu for a while, about a year ago. We worked a lot of throws. I miss it a lot. We don't work grappling at the school I study at, now. I think we may at some point. We're supposed to get a guy to start teaching a Judo class, but from what my wife says (she knows the guy, used to take judo at the college from him) he can be a lot of talk. Not that he isn't good, it's just that he doesn't always do what he says he's going to do. It would love to get back into grappling. I'm thinking about this BJJ dojo in Liverpool, NY, about 40 minutes from my place, to supplement the stand-up I get from my current school, but the money thing is an issue. I could only probably make it once a week, if that, and I don't know if I'd have to pay for a full membership.

Anyway, enough about me. Great post. Thanks. And, I agree about the stickies.

10. txwrestler

txwrestler White Belt

You dont play jui jitsu

11. Darkslide632

Darkslide632 Brown Belt

Hey there. I set up Harai with a number of throws. 9 times out of 10 it is O Uchi Gari and/or Hiza Guruma. It's not uncommon for me to go left side Hiza, right size Hiza, O Uchi, Harai. The whole idea is to get movement. I Use Hiza because you can't stiff arm against it. I am capable of throwing Hiza Guruma for Ippon, but usually it is just a setup. Same with O Uchi Gari... I can knock people down with it, but a lot of times I with enter for it without good kazushi so that they will step over it, which kills their opposite leg and allows me to enter for Harai.

I don't compete in BJJ... I am in Maine and there isn't much going on up here as far as BJJ goes. When I am not working on Judo specifically I am doing MMA stuff... So when someone tries to pull guard on me, I punch them in the mouth. If my fist connects with their head at the same time we hit the mat, all the better for me :)

That being said, I HAVE competed in the Maine Skirmish and have run into it a few times. Generally I am just confident enough to fight out of someones guard... though I hate it. I like to throw, so I usually try to make them pay for it. Take a cross grip with my right arm, driving my elbow into their gut and step in for an O Uchi or Ko Soto. In the event that I am trying to keep them for going to guard at all, I'll take a grip and use violent downward movements to keep their hips behind them... As soon as they try to straighten up to get their hips in, I throw. Their upward movement leaves them open for it.... even if it is just a single arm grip into a drop seoi.

As far as mats go, we have wrestling mats. They are pretty hard, but that just cuts down on tolio and makes sure your ukemi is up to par :) We very very rarely workout without a mat.... usually only if we're just boxing/kickboxing.

As far as playing Jujistu goes... I disagree. I play all the time and enjoy it. I'm not going to get into an argument about semantics.

12. Darkslide632

Darkslide632 Brown Belt

I compressed the videos so that they should be WAAAY quicker to download.

I also added a few more videos.

13. Weonlywonsixtwo

Weonlywonsixtwo Banned Banned

Great stuff, welcome.

14. infamous mattyd

infamous mattyd Brown Belt

awesome...I appreciate the vids

15. LCDforMe

LCDforMe Purple Belt

right on, I like the videos.

What do you mean when you say it is "my throw"? Did you invent it?

16. codysweet02

codysweet02 Brown Belt

Nice stuff man, ive never seen Judo in action before but i like what i see. I train boxing and sub wrestling but when i move next year maybe there will be a judo place nearbye so i can learn some throws as well. Would you say a good ammount of Judo will work without the gi? I know MMA is one thing becuase there is really no clothing to grab onto but say on the street, could you do most/many jude throws on someone who has on a t-shirt and jeans?

17. Darkslide632

Darkslide632 Brown Belt

Well, ask any Judoka if they have a throw, and generally you'll get a "yes". There is an actual name for it: Tokui Waza (Favorite Technique). Harai Goshi happens to be a throw that I have specialized in. I have drilled it into my head for 9 years and at this point I can throw it from virtually any position because it is so engrained into my muscle memory that it is completely reactive. It is SO natural for me, that I actually have a hard time turning my back and entering for any other throw, because my leg naturally wants to come up and sweep.

As far as Judo working without a gi, the answer is yes. The standup stuff is great obviously, there are plenty of throws that work without a gi and the footwork and throw defense will help keep you from being taken down. I do plenty of no gi stuff because the guy I work out with fights MMA and I am able to throw him regardless. Obviously not usually as impressive as throws with something to grab onto, but effective nonetheless. Obviously the groundwork works with or without a gi. I wouldn't go so far as to say "most" throws will be applicable in a no gi situation, but in my opinion there are plenty that DO work.

18. phenomfan1529

phenomfan1529 Brown Belt

nice vids dude.

welcome to sherdog

19. ShidokanSensei

ShidokanSensei Banned Banned

20. ShidokanSensei

ShidokanSensei Banned Banned