First pair gloves advice - Windy / Twins / Boon / Top King

midnightbarber

White Belt
Reaction score
I've recently started boxing and am looking for some advice for my first pair of gloves. These will be primarily used for heavy bag work but as I've just started I just want a single pair for both bag work and sparring.

I'm 5'7 155lbs (70kg) and obviously have small hands. I'm not sure whether to go for 12 or 14 oz. I'm leaning more towards the 14's if I want to spar with them but not sure if they'll be too big.

I've been trawling through the gear reviews section to find highly regarded gloves and seeing what are available online in the UK and in my price range (up to

I would NOT recommend having one pair of gloves for bag/pad work and sparring. Long story short, hitting bags causes the foam to become dense which would be impolite at the very least to use on partner's faces. If you must only get one pair, figure out which activity you'll do and stick with it. Otherwise get two pairs.

For your weight and size, you could get away with 10-12oz for bag and pad work and 14-16oz for sparring.

Can't comment on the brands listed but I do own two pairs of Fairtex gloves and they are well worth the price if you plan on sticking with the sport for awhile.

I'd reconsider some of your choices with bag gloves or sparring gloves in mind. Bag gloves tend to be lighter and have more dense foam while sparring gloves tend to be heavier and have softer foam. If you find gloves labeled as 'training gloves' they are designed be used for both activities but once you use them for bags or faces, stick with that activity for those gloves for the reasons listed above.

Last edited:
Thanks, thought you might say that. Think I'll just buy a pair for the heavy bag for now and borrow / use communal gloves for sparring and then buy a pair for sparring at a later date.

Will probably go for the 12oz gloves then, still not sure which make to go for though. Any other input is appreciated

Yeah, don't use one set of gloves for both. Your sparring partners will despise you.

Thanks, thought you might say that. Think I'll just buy a pair for the heavy bag for now and borrow / use communal gloves for sparring and then buy a pair for sparring at a later date.

Will probably go for the 12oz gloves then, still not sure which make to go for though. Any other input is appreciated

Thats probably the better choice since you'll likely be spending more time training on bags and mitts than sparring with someone. Especially since you're just starting out.

Like I said, I haven't used the brands you listed but i've been very interested in Boon lately because of their great reviews. They'll likely be my next pair of gloves.

You didn't list them but Cageside has some great gloves. They're a highly praised small business on these forums. These are pretty cost effective at $40 for quality leather gloves:

Cageside "Cross Trainer" 8oz Bag Gloves - Leather

They're 8oz and correct me if i'm wrong but it may because its a traditional bag glove design (thumbless) which saves on total weight. I'm sure there is more than enough padding on the knuckles. I'm also eyeing this for myself when I actually NEED a new pair of bag gloves and not because I WANT them #gearheadsanonymous

+1 for Arkitekt.

Thanks

Thanks, really appreciate the input. Think I'm leaning towards the boons at this point (even though I'm not a massive fan of the brown colour) as I found the 12oz for

Might help to put a link for each glove. Saves everyone trying to help the trouble of searching every glove.

Don't know if it makes a difference to you, but the Rivals you listed are synthetic leather.

You said it already, it's all subjective. There is no best/most suited glove for a beginner. It's all trial and error.

Thanks, I wasn't sure what the rules were on linking to other sites so I thought I'd better play it safe. I ended up buying the 12oz boons due to the low sale price of

Last edited:
I've had a pair of boons and a pair of top king airs and I found the hand compartment tighter in the Boons, which was a plus point for me.

By the way the brown Boons look pretty awesome when you see them in person.

I have that exact pair of gloves, the brown Boon 12oz. Great for padword, a bit tight in the hand compartment (I have to use shorter hand wraps), but a solid glove, great leather.

If your just using the gloves for bag/pads i would probably get something else. this comming from a proud owner of boons. Their great, but for pure bagwork, i would stick with something with a little harder foam. the 10oz hayabusas are actualy pretty great bag gloves. i realy like rival elites as well, but they may be out of your price range.

If you were going to be getting gloves for both light sparring very rarely, drilling, and bag/pads, i would say go with the boons in 14 oz though....but deffinitly get another pair of gloves in 16 oz if your going to spar hard or even moderately hard.

I have these in 14oz and use them for both boxing and mt sparring: TWINS BOXING GLOVES BGVL-3 -

Hello everyone,

First of all, sorry for the mistakes but English is not my native language.

I use this old discussion because my question is almost the same.

I have been practicing MMA for two years and am looking for a new pair of training gloves for pad work and soft sparring (I will use my current gloves for heavy bag).

I am 5.7 feet tall and weigh 163 pounds. My hands are of average size.

I am looking for muay thai type gloves quite compact with a short wrist but comfortable and with good cushioning (good protection of the knukkles).

I spent a lot of time reading and watching reviews and comparisons.

I hesitated between Twins BGVL3 12oz and Fairtex FXV1 14oz but I find the Twins too bulky and « pillow ». I like the compact side of Fairtex but the cushioning seems too hard.

I continued my research and I saw the Boons and Windy that could be good compromise amortization / compactness (if I saw the wrist of the Boons is longer).

Last little aesthetic details: I like the style a little vintage and the leather of good quality (more matte than brilliant).

I would have liked to see them in real life and try them but none of these brands are sold next to my home.

Could you give me a hand?

thank you so much

Hello everyone,

I have been practicing MMA for two years and am looking for a new pair of training gloves for pad work and soft sparring (I will use my current gloves for heavy bag).

I am 5.7 feet tall and weigh 163 pounds. My hands are of average size.

I am looking for muay thai type gloves quite compact with a short wrist but comfortable and with good cushioning (good protection of the knukkles).

I spent a lot of time reading and watching reviews and comparisons.

I hesitated between Twins BGVL3 12oz and Fairtex FXV1 14oz but I find the Twins too bulky and « pillow ». I like the compact side of Fairtex but the cushioning seems too hard.

I continued my research and I saw the Boons and Windy that could be good compromise amortization / compactness (if I saw the wrist of the Boons is longer).

Last little aesthetic details: I like the style a little vintage and the leather of good quality (more matte than brilliant).

I would have liked to see them in real life and try them but none of these brands are sold next to my home.

Could you give me a hand?

thank you so much

Myself personally love Fairtex above all else, however if you aren't a fan of how the Fairtex padding feels, you may be best trying Windy or Topking, Boon are a good brand however as you mentioned the cuff may be too long for your preference.

Thanks for your answer.

According to different reviews, RAJA gloves are very comfortable.

RAJA Gloves seem to be more compact and less « pillow » than Twins.

Maybe a good compromise (probably less durable than other brands but I’m willing to take the risk)

Between Windy and Boons, the Windy's will have softer padding, Boons are pretty dense these days imo. Raja is on the softer side and pretty well made as well.

I recently got a pair of yokkao matrix gloves in 14oz, they are very good gloves. Like the perfect middle ground between Fairtex bgv1’s and Twins bgvl 3’s.

I will Be posting a review soon once I get some time to take some pics. We have a newborn at home so free time is hard to come by sometimes lol

Hello everyone,

why necro,just make a new thread next time. dont like twins for that reason either.

fairtex compact, boon long big wrist support, windy run-of-the-mill. cant go wrong with any. if you're really serious about this, dont go by brand, pick a specific type of glove version & weight and see if theres a review for it out already

Back