Social First Nation's protests in Canada paralyze national rail lines

A thread about native americans in the war room.

I wonder which direction this will head

The Natives are worshiped as Gods now in Canada by white Liberals.

Over 1,000 protesters march in downtown Toronto in support of Wet'suwet'en hereditary chiefs
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...oronto-wetsuweten-rally-queens-park-1.5466691

Any out in the open racism towards Natives will be harshly punished. There's such a lack of racism towards natives here that Liberals will get filled with murderous rage over a dancing video.

Alberta minor hockey team criticized for 'racist' video forfeits season
https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...ed-for-indigenous-dance-video-forfeits-season

Parents of Fort McMurray minor hockey players whose team was criticized for an Indigenous locker-room dance say they’re forfeiting the season due to safety concerns.

A social media video in January showed a boy beating his hockey stick against a trash-can lid as he and others jumped around and shouted to a song by Indigenous electronic group A Tribe Called Red.

A statement shortly after from the Fort McMurray Minor Hockey Association apologized and called the actions by members of the Midget A Junior Oil Barons disrespectful.

In a statement posted to Facebook this week, players’ parents say some of the kids shown in the video are Indigenous and the dance was meant to be motivational, not derogatory or racist.

The parents say the team has been threatened verbally and on social media, so they decided it was too dangerous to finish the season.

The move means the team incurred and paid a $2,100 penalty.

“We as parents are saddened for our children, as the rest of the season was compromised, and they couldn’t play the game they love due to fear from threats, anxiety and humiliation,” the statement said.

So are you advocating armed overthrow of the government ?

You'd like me to say that but I'm not.

I'm saying that there is more than enough to do so and the government should be afraid of pushing too far. Can you explain why we shouldn't adopt a bit of the American way of thinking when it comes to guns and freedom? Canadians are really good at defeating tyranny and volunteered to do it in WW2, just to help others.

@Pseudo Sane

You shouldn't talk about an armed insurgency. Vivarevolution (I think that's his name) made a big scene and it didn't end well.

It's hard to find an article that goes into the details of what the protesters actually want. Someone on my woke facebook said that the hereditary chiefs proposed a slightly modified route for the pipeline, but I can't find a source for that claim.

On the other hand, I can find loads of quotes from wetsuweten who support the pipeline, on, for example, our public broadcaster's website.

You'd like me to say that but I'm not.

I'm saying that there is more than enough of to do so and the government should be afraid of pushing too far. Can you explain why we shouldn't adopt the American way of thinking when it comes to guns and freedom? Canadians are really good at defeating tyranny and volunteered to do it in WW2, just to help others.

@Pseudo Sane

You shouldn't talk about an armed insurgency. Vivarevolution (I think that's his name) made a big scene and it didn't end well.

My dude, I am nowhere near advocating armed anything. I don't know how much more explicit I can get in hoping that this all gets resolved peaceably.

My real concern is just how vulnerable Canada appears to be to disruption. I am worried that we might actual face challenges more substantial than worry over gender parity in cabinet and blackface; the kind of decisions which actually require leadership from elected officials, who don't appear prepared to give it. What if the coronavirus becomes a major crisis? What if there is a major recession? What if (God forbid?) people start dying because counter-protesters get fed up and take matters into their own hands.

It's fine when that happens in Edmonton (https://globalnews.ca/news/6568202/wetsuweten-rail-blockade-edmonton-acheson-industrial-area/), since these fools are soft, but there are some angry First Nations groups who will push back, hard, and the minute someone dies or gets badly hurt, the stakes go up, considerably.

Canada is at least as divided as we have been since Quebec last voted to secede in the 90s, and I have no confidence in any party, at any level of government, to deal sensibly with a major issue.

It's hard to find an article that goes into the details of what the protesters actually want. Someone on my woke facebook said that the hereditary chiefs proposed a slightly modified route for the pipeline, but I can't find a source for that claim.

On the other hand, I can find loads of quotes from wetsuweten who support the pipeline, on, for example, our public broadcaster's website.

It's pretty clear a large number of tangentially related groups have glommed onto the Wesuweten cause. If you want the opposing view, however, see this speech by Elizabeth May:

As far as I understand before initial construction they chose to place the pipeline on native land when they could've moved it on another location. The contractors didn't budge and would not concede and here we are. The federal govt could've dealt with this easily but Trudeau is a can.

A lot of the problems we are experiencing now go back to Delgamuukw v British Columbia, when the Supreme Court recognized Aboriginal title.

It came from a place of wanting to help, but recognition of aboriginal title is probably only possible for a society which is massively prosperous and can tolerate huge inefficiencies. Canada was this country for a while, but I'm increasingly concerned that time will not remain so good in the future.

Delgamuukw was ultimately a feckless decision which can only ever result in the paralysis of development in Canada and created expectations which are impossible to fulfill; aboriginal title is not capable of being rendered legible and integrated into the Common Law system. The experiment has been a disaster.

It's pretty clear a large number of tangentially related groups have glommed onto the Wesuweten cause. If you want the opposing view, however, see this speech by Elizabeth May:

Pretty interesting how difficult it is to scrounge up anything on this proposed alternative route. That's one way to affect a national dialogue I suppose: turn it into a monologue.

BC court rules that CGL has to consult furthet with FN along pipeline route. Has 30 days too do so.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/coastal-gaslink-consultation-pipeline-1.5472128

Read your own article. This is a government agency, the Environmental Assessment Office (EAO), which made the order; part of the executive, not the courts. This is a purely political attempt to defuse the situation by capitulating.

There has been a lot of consultation and the company jumped through every hoop that they were supposed to. Again; this is pure politics, and represents capitulation on the part of the government.

No one is going to start a major infrastructure project in Canada for decades after this.

It's mostly leftist idiocy anti oil retards out there.

Law wise they are pure criminals carrying out illegal acts but the Turdope gov wont arrest them cause welfare leeches with no jobs are their best voters.

A lot of the problems we are experiencing now go back to Delgamuukw v British Columbia, when the Supreme Court recognized Aboriginal title.

It came from a place of wanting to help, but recognition of aboriginal title is probably only possible for a society which is massively prosperous and can tolerate huge inefficiencies. Canada was this country for a while, but I'm increasingly concerned that time will not remain so good in the future.

Delgamuukw was ultimately a feckless decision which can only ever result in the paralysis of development in Canada and created expectations which are impossible to fulfill; aboriginal title is not capable of being rendered legible and integrated into the Common Law system. The experiment has been a disaster.

Not to mention the Oka crisis conflict in the early 90s. This is starting to take the same origins story of way back when.

Read your own article. This is a government agency, the Environmental Assessment Office (EAO), which made the order; part of the executive, not the courts. This is a purely political attempt to defuse the situation by capitulating.

There has been a lot of consultation and the company jumped through every hoop that they were supposed to. Again; this is pure politics, and represents capitulation on the part of the government.

No one is going to start a major infrastructure project in Canada for decades after this.

Perhaps not unless Conservatives take over again.

What about the fact they want to build oil terminals, and have super oil tankers, in some of the most pristine, and valuable fishing habitat in Canada? It's just how a large amount of the population there's makes there living and is a way of life. How dare they protest something that greatly endangers there way of life! Gotta ship that tar sand oil to China I suppose.....

This. KMI gave up on the trans Canadian pipeline. And I'm sure no one else will look to build anything due to the CF this govt has made of developing anything. They let a few idiots hold them all hostage

vka-protest-5288-jpg.jpg

Same energy, clearly.

Canada, as currently constituted, could stand the kind of protests being put on by les gilets jaunes for about 30 seconds before capitulating utterly.

The French capacity and appetite for civil unrest never ceases to amaze me.

lol, check out those 'indigenous' protestors AKA bored UVic students

Funny the
17 billion a year indigenous budget never gets mentioned in amongst all the whining...

Pretty much. They'll never be happy or satisfied with anything; their whole shtick is being perpetual victims. Trying to placate them in any way is the wrong way to go about it, they view it as weakness that they can exploit.

Trudeau made a big deal about supporting first nations in his electoral campaign, he's pigeon-holed himself into a situation where he can't react appropriately to their threats and blockades without looking like a hypocrite.

Looks like Trudeau finally grew a pair, and has ordered the blockades be taken down.

About fucking time.

Funny the
17 billion a year indigenous budget never gets mentioned in amongst all the whining...

Pretty much. They'll never be happy or satisfied with anything; their whole shtick is being perpetual victims. Trying to placate them in any way is the wrong way to go about it, they view it as weakness that they can exploit.

Trudeau made a big deal about supporting first nations in his electoral campaign, he's pigeon-holed himself into a situation where he can't react appropriately to their threats and blockades without looking like a hypocrite.

Eh, I don't know about this. There is no good solution to the first Nations' situation, and the money they receive isn't always well spent, either by the government, or by the bands, or by individual members.

Culture matters, and you can't replace it with money, especially money being administered by a government agency. Life on many of the reserves it utterly miserable for a whole host of reasons. Their resentment makes perfect sense if you think there are things that matter beyond money in your pocket at the end of the day, which I do.

Problem is it's hard to know where to go from here. cultural assimilation didn't work, and giving the land back won't work, if only because of the sheer amount of claimed territory in Canada.

Probably the only workable solution is to cut the preferential treatment and welfare which is hobbling so many bands, and let them develop something on their own merits, or not, but that is extremely difficult for a whole host of reasons.

Edit: grammar

Last edited:
Looks like Trudeau finally grew a pair, and has ordered the blockades be taken down.

About fucking time.

Agreed. Hopefully they come down easy and no one gets hurt. I'm particularly concerned about the blockade in mohawk territory.

A few more articles for interested folk.
https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/four-days-worth-of-justin-trudeaus-patience/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/pol...e-on-indigenous-leaders-to-back-down-but-his/

https://www.nationalnewswatch.com/2...-torn-down-injunctions-enforced/#.XlEKdZVKiUm

I am glad that Trudeau is doing this, but I agree with Paul Wells' assessment in the above article that the timing is odd. He must have decided to do this earlier than he let on, based in the messaging.

Back