First NAGA tournament

ghostface casey

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So I'm competing in my first ever grappling tourney this Saturday. Any of you guys have any tips for me? More so or not, tips on breaking guard and strengthening my arm triangle. Any help will be appreciated!

With Love,

GFC

You know it's best to go out and "do what it do" ! If you are trying to learn stuff right before "show time " you are going to have a long day! Stick with want you know and if that's not that much rember Champions never quit!

thanks man, the nerves are just running a little more than normal. Bad practice tonight on top of that. X-D

Bring food and a pillow... and be prepared to rest and wait for a long time at a NAGA... once you get on the mats just have fun :)

Relax and don't try to fight muscle with muscle, you will tire out faster that way.

Get the takedown. It helps a lot when you know you are up 2 points but watch out because Naga gives out sub attempt points too easy sometimes.

Don't warm up too early. It can be an hour or more after they call your division before you get on the mat.

Bring food/water. It's a long day with a lot of sitting around and waiting. It's easy to forget to eat.

Don't focus on winning. Make your goal to have fun, use good jiu-jitsu, and make new friends.

Some of the divisions are huge. If you know you have 10+ guys in your division, try to to blow your load in the first match. Conserve strength and try to just flow.

HAving NAGA as your first tournament is an interesting decision as many players and coaches have a strong disliking for the way NAGA is run. However go out there, don't be nervous, LISTEN FOR YOUR NAME AND GROUP, and have fun

Just try and stick to a simple game plan using your strengths.

Like everyone else has been saying play to your strengths. Have a game plan going into your matches. Play your game bro! Tell yourself I'm going to pull guard or this single leg take-down is mine. My first tournament was also a NAGA. Just be calm and impose your will on the other person.

Try not to warm up too early as NAGA tournaments are very long affairs normally.

Try to have someone knowledgeable on the sidelines for your match if possible. Sometimes in the middle of a competition match we forget what's going on. Having someone who knows your game to some degree can help with that.

Good luck!

I'm doing my first on October 2nd, so I'm in the same boat. Not really any advice there, but whatever.

NAGA is where you get the opportunity to wait around for hours. So relax, bring food and water, and just listen for your name.

I have heard some of my team mates talk about not competeing till 9pm

What class are you competing in?

Ideally the event won't be too muffed this time since Sat is adults only.

Bring plenty of food and water. You will be there most of the day so you need to keep your body fueled. Also don't start warming up until they call you divisions to the bull pen. Once you are in the bull pen begin your warm up since your matches will be starting in 15-30 minutes.

Just stay relaxed and patient and enjoy the experience.

Back