first muay thai class

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by WaCkO92, Jun 2, 2008.

1. WaCkO92

WaCkO92 Guest

this has prolly been done a thousand times but just let it be one more

honestly, what should i expect, will i be thrown right in, or will i be taken aside and taught basic technique? how physically demanding will it be, no so much strength wise( i know it will be very difficult), but cardio wise?

also, i need to develop some flexibility, and i have heard to develop flexibility you need to stretch after a hard leg workout, is this true?

if you guys could answer this i would be very grateful

2. Snives823

Snives823 Green Belt

my first class they stretched me out and walked me through the 1 hour routine. you should be fine. expect to gas on any kicks that is normal. remember also the first part is all body hardening so take off your shoes and kick as hard as you can it will benefit you later.

3. Chimpy Bob

Chimpy Bob Banned Banned

im in a muay thai class for almost a year

honestly first day i was kinda disapointed he prob wont go over technique

we just ran and shit then he told everyone to find a bag and wat combos to do on it

only problem is i didnt know how to throw the punches/ kicks ect.

that being said everytime we get enough new guys he goes over technique in front of the whole

class like pivoting and all that kinda shit

and cardio is waaay more emphasized then strength training at least here

4. mvisit1

mvisit1 Blue Belt

I think it all depends on the school you go to, so no one can truly tell you what to expect. Unlike Chimpy Bob's school, my school doesn't do enough cardio IMO but we REALLY focus on technique.

5. grachuss

grachuss Purple Belt

The first day I barfed, but I learned a lot. First exhale with any attack especially a kick. Burpees aren't that bad after doing them for two days. Don't go back to class until everything dosen't hurt(its a good hurt afterwards). Its your first day your body needs to get used to it. I go six days now with no ill effects.

You will go in nervous possibly scared and leave satisfied. Remember its not nearly as bad as your mind makes it out to be.

here check out my same thread
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f11/first-day-muay-thai-tomorrow-699921/

6. lil_ric23

lil_ric23 White Belt

I agree with mvisit. all will depend on the school your going to. mine had me just practicing basic stance technique, foot positioning and throwing a 1,2 punch. best advice is try to relax your body and don't worry about the other guys in the class. being all tense will wear you out. been training about 5 months now.

7. FFJC805

FFJC805 Blue Belt

I remember being real nervous, esp. the first class or two. I havent been "the new guy" in anything for a while, so it felt odd. Lots of conditioning at first, butterflies and nausea. But very satisfying at the end. the physical exertion was magnified by the nerves.

whoever said dont go back until the hurt goes away is right. technique and form is critical, and its hard to do that when u r in pain. your body will get used to it and soon u will be ablle to go as much as you want. good luck!

8. food70

food70 White Belt

It will depend on the school. I think a good intro would be to the footwork and then to some the basic punching mechanics. Hopefully, it is fun.

9. Sledge.Hammer

Sledge.Hammer Orange Belt

Good luck man

10. smc

smc Green Belt

jab, jab, jab
    cross, cross, cross
    jab, cross, kick

stop lowering your hands

jab, cross, kick

11. RJ43

RJ43 The Baddy

I'd suggest getting familiar with a jump rope. Try to jump for 2 or 3 3 min rounds. Other than that don't worry about anything else, you will learn and your body will adapt. The best thing to do is just get in there, check your ego at the door, and soak up as much as you can. Form and technique will come in time.

12. vince89

vince89 Banned Banned

It depends on how many people are there.

Either way, introduce yourself to the trainer and enjoy yourself. If they dont treat you good, find another gym.

13. DericBloodaxe

DericBloodaxe White Belt

Swallow your pride, And get some 'chin surgery'. haha Thats how my first thai was.

14. beardsleybob

beardsleybob White Belt

Only been at MT for about 3 months, but my first day wasn't so bad. I was already in good shape so the conditioning at the beginning wasn't so bad. But the stretches and kicks really caused a problem with my calf muscles. Could barely walk the next day.

Technique and form is essential. Mine is still shit so I'm still like a newb. The shin conditioning is hell. Some heavy bruises on my shins. Usually stay back after class on Tuesdays and completely assault the heavy bags. Then by the next Tuesday my shins are bruise free and ready for more

15. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Orange Belt

16. DannyT

DannyT Orange Belt

Nice guys, you brought up a dead thread from 2008.

17. Craftster

Craftster Yellow Belt

It all depends on what school you go to. But if it is a legit gym then you will go over, footwork, hand placement, and probably the jab and cross. Also be prepared for some conditioning.