First Muay Thai class + Summer Exercise

Chappu

White Belt
Reaction score
Anyways, I decided I wanted to get into shape, so I decided to get back into martial arts.
I decided to do Muay Thai (3 days a week), and the other days I'll jog/jump rope, pushups, situps/crunches. First do you think this would be a decent routine for getting into shape/toning a little.
Second, I am actually really nervous for my first Muay Thai class. I really would like to register soon, but I am nervous to do so. I am a 15 year old male btw. Along with answering the first question, can you please tell me about your first classes? Also, encourage me please haha, I am bad at making decisions. Thanks!
Edit: I am in Montreal, and there is one school instructed by Kruz Leo, anyone know of him?

depends on the school. muay thai will definitely get you in shape quick. my current kru stressed brutal conditioning, almost to a point where its effecting my technique. we do 20 minute "warm ups" that leave my legs fucking jello afterwards.

dont be nervous about it. there is always first time people, and a lot of times you'll see guys that have only been training a month or so. people are happy to teach new people, as long as you try your best, and pay attention to detail.

There are new guys that can get easily riled up over accidental hits or roughhousing during sparring, don't be one of those guys. Also if it's your first martial art it's bound to be pretty awkward at first, but you'll eventually be fine.

Make sure to stretch your legs and eat well too.

I did jump rope for about an hour with small breaks in between to drink and stuff (I am not very coordinated, so it took a while) and I got a nice blister on my foot ;/

I'd say that's a decent gameplan. The typical Thai routine is to do a good 30 to 60 min warm up, followed with some variation of shadow boxing, pad work, bag work, clinching, techniques/tactics, and body conditioning.

I generally will alternate days where one is heavy martial arts / light conditioning and other is heavy conditioning / light martial arts. Take a day off when your body needs it, at least one a week, maybe two depending on the individual and routine.

I'd say that's a decent gameplan. The typical Thai routine is to do a good 30 to 60 min warm up, followed with some variation of shadow boxing, pad work, bag work, clinching, techniques/tactics, and body conditioning.

I generally will alternate days where one is heavy martial arts / light conditioning and other is heavy conditioning / light martial arts. Take a day off when your body needs it, at least one a week, maybe two depending on the individual and routine.

Hmm thanks. Do you know if Daosawan is any good? Classes for teens are 3 times pet week 1 hour each. There are also gyms, but I am guessing those are more for adults. I am almost starting to wonder whether I should box..

Hmm thanks. Do you know if Daosawan is any good? Classes for teens are 3 times pet week 1 hour each. There are also gyms, but I am guessing those are more for adults. I am almost starting to wonder whether I should box..

Couldn't say for certain. But boxing will would be good as well

Everyone's nervous at first, don't worry. It'll pass quickly, probably about the time you first get hit :p

sounds like a good plan. you should check out the stickes in d&s about nutrition and you're set. also there are tons of stickies in strength + conditioning sections and always rosstraining.com to better prep your routine. good luck and many success.

edit: fuck courage if you want it you will do it.

Start whatever you are gunna do(MT, boxing) as soon as possible, that is the first step in getting in shape. Go in with a humble attitude, and never, ever get angry.

My first 'class'(MT, I was 19 or 20) everyone seemed to have a cock diesel type attitude, so I was fairly quiet. The MT class was more like cardio kick boxing. The trainer was knowledgeable but just basically giving in to 'trendy' type training much of the time. Within 2 months things were totally different. Classes went from 1 hour total to 45 minute warm up, 1 hour of conditioning, 2 hours of training AND sparring afterwards. Going to the gym became the highlight of my day.

I shit you not, I(the most introverted guy in the gym) was the major catalyst of this change. I was humble, and constantly asked questions(without being annoying). I spent time outside of the gym to learn more about fighting, and asked my trainer about techs he had not taught(in a humble way, to show my interest and dedication)

Have an open mind and a humble, respectful approach and you will be better than fine.

Edit: Daosawan is very traditional, try Gamma if you're looking to compete in future if you can afford it otherwise Daosawan is ideal for ya. Believe I am in the same situation as you, 15 year old and living in Montreal HA. Or try Tri-Star where GSP trains but it's pretty expensive. So yeah if you can afford Gamma or Tri-Star, join those gyms.

Edit: Daosawan is very traditional, try Gamma if you're looking to compete in future if you can afford it otherwise Daosawan is ideal for ya. Believe I am in the same situation as you, 15 year old and living in Montreal HA. Or try Tri-Star where GSP trains but it's pretty expensive. So yeah if you can afford Gamma or Tri-Star, join those gyms.

What would be the difference between being thought traditional Muay Thai vs modern? When you say compete, do you mean in MMA? Please be very clear with me, I am dumb haha. I don't understand much about martial arts yet.

Does anyone know what the difference would be, on whats being thought, in a traditional Muay Thai school vs gym? Because I think the gyms wwould be 18+ but the school has a teen class.

Does anyone know what the difference would be, on whats being thought, in a traditional Muay Thai school vs gym? Because I think the gyms wwould be 18+ but the school has a teen class.

Well, at Tri-Star , you have to be 14 years and older. And , yes I meant to compete in MMA. Or in professional kickboxing.

Well, at Tri-Star , you have to be 14 years and older. And , yes I meant to compete in MMA. Or in professional kickboxing.

And if I were doing it for fitness/self defense, would it make a huge difference which school I choose? What would be the difference in instruction? Isn't Tri-star downtown? I forget

Back