First MMA fight, Weight cutting question

gy614x

White Belt
Reaction score
I have my first amateur MMA fight coming up on Sept 18th, I'll be fighting at 165 and the weigh-ins are the same day.

My normal weight is around 177 pounds, I'm on the 1 day out part of this right now, in the morning i weighed in at 173.6

I'm doing a practice cut right now, heres what it tells me to do:

Starting 5 days out, on day 5, 4, and 3 drink 2 gallons of water a day

On day 2 cut out as much sodium as possible and drink a gallon of water only

1 day out from weigh-ins stop fluid intake, only eat maybe 1 power bar

day of the weigh ins get up early and sweat off the excess water weight.

Am i doing this right? I have a month left until my fight and was wondering if this is a good way to do this.

btw weigh ins are 9am the morning of, first fight (which is mine) is going to be around 6-7 pm

I don't know, but "the weight cutting thread" seems to be good advice.

Congrats of your first fight!!!

You're on the right track, but only have part of the puzzle. You will not only need to know "how to cut", but you'll need to prep your body for the cut, and then even more inportantly, you'll need to "reload" the right way so that you are not sluggish and lethargic for the fight.

If you'd like a few pointers, we'd love to help!!!

Last edited:
I'd done the same a few times for amateur mma comps and weighing in the same day i treated it the same as a BJJ tournament.
Basically trying to get as close to that weight as possible a few days before the tournament, rather than trying to shed weight the day before, or same day. You simply don't have the time to re-hydrate and eat before the fights. Luckily I only ever had to lose about 5-6lbs off my normal weight.
eating cleaner and doing more cardio was enough, and I'm glad as I didn't feel sluggish on the day.

If you are training all the time, there is no reason you could not drink close to 2 gallons of water every day, not just for cuts. Your body needs more than 3 days to get used to filtering out that much water, at least from a weight cutting perspective.

don't worry about the weight, you'll be so scared and nervous before the fight that you'll throw up another 3 -4 pounds, good luck.

(J/K)

You don't trust your trainers advice? You'd rather ask some sherdoggers?

Back