First Lesson Complete

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by tehk1w1, Sep 16, 2010.

1. tehk1w1

tehk1w1 Brown Belt

Just went to my first Brazilian Jiu Jitsu lesson and these are the things I learned...

1.) Watching all the MMA in the world didn't help me all that much when it came to properly passing guard and turning into an arm bar. How the hell they make it look so smooth is beyond me. I move like a goddamn robot, forget to squeeze, forget to apply pressure, etc.

2.) Almost everything I thought I knew about BJJ from watching MMA was wrong. It's so easy to criticize when sitting on a sofa, but now knowing that I was only able to perform a keylock when my partner was lying there about to fall asleep, I'll never say, "He totally should've submitted him," or any inane, ignorant comment ever again. It's a lot harder than it looks.

3.) Having a full grown man sitting on your chest makes it very, very hard to breathe. Contrary to popular belief, I don't normally have fully grown men sitting on my chest.

4.) It was a great work out and I loved it. Also I am terribly out of shape. Hopefully that will change.

Random thoughts from a complete novice who just finished their first lesson.

2. Gerbiljiujitsu

Gerbiljiujitsu Purple Belt

Awesome. I'm glad that you've decided to leave the realm of the sofa and take on the challenge of BJJ.

3. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Hah, cool. You learned the same things your first class that I learned. I thought that with my wrestling and MMA study that I knew how to do this stuff. Then I realized I had no idea how to pass the guard.

You can only learn once you're humble, or humbled.

4. 879lexus

879lexus Blue Belt

Good man.. Now the real magic happens when you don't feel like going to class, but you get off the sofa and go train.... You have started to do one of the best things for your body and life....sweet..

5. Bruce Calavera

Bruce Calavera Purple Belt

Welcome to the club. It's a long hard road but it's definetly got the scenic view.

6. tehk1w1

tehk1w1 Brown Belt

Woke up this morning and surprisingly not as sore as I thought I'd be.

Should be ready to go by lessons on Sat. morning.

7. HomerPlata

HomerPlata Purple Belt

To be fair, I think anyone should be allowed to criticise a fighter in those situations if - by their own standards - they should have done better. Agree?

8. MMA junkie

MMA junkie Purple Belt

Good viewpoints, glad you had fun. Good luck on your continued journey, it will be a long one. Lot more humbling to go! :D

9. Cavpilot

Cavpilot White Belt

Kudos to you, man. You are absolutely right. It's only when you realize that you don't know anything that you can really learn something.

I love to laugh at armchair athletes/ martial artists.

Ive been training Martial arts for 25 years, but only BJJ for a year, and when I started, I thought maybe I knew something. I was waaaay wrong.