First kickboxing fight in 30 days

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
Should I stop lifting weights? I usually lift once a week and it's not that bad. Only thing that really fucks me up is when I squat and I have no power in my punches and can't move my feet for the next 4 days or so.

Should I keep lifting weights until like 12 days out or so? And completely stop squatting?

I already stopped training in bjj except weekends which was really hard to do. Thinking of replacing lifting days with 400 and 800m runs/sprints

Can someone post their extra curricular routine?

Monday - Thursday: Standup for 2 hours
Friday -bjj
Saturday or Sunday - i usually lift but I'm willing to trade it for running or sometimes I hit the heavybag and lift

Sometimes I do some yoga on Friday/Saturday/sunday

Last edited:
I'd certainly not aim for pr's, just 75%, also I wouldn't lift 2 weeks to go. I'd just focus on sport specifics. I'd not spar a week before, but primarily I'd make sure my last sparring session was a very positive one.

Don't worry too much. In your first fight, the match up and your psychology will make the difference. Just make sure you don't get injured leading up to it.

I usually stop lifting roughly a week out, no sparring a week out (never know what might happen); Haven't had any problems so far. I don't do 1 rm maxes though, I've been on a 5x5 program.

Regular routine is usually:
m-sparring + bjj/conditioning
t-5x5(am) / clinch work + conditioning(pm)
w-MT + bjj/conditioning
t-5x5(am) / clinch work + conditioning(pm)
f-
s-5x5
s-conditioning

Some have said to me its alot, but I have no issues with it, I always feel great and not overtrained.
On days that are bjj/conditioning, I'll alternate depending on how I feel. In camp about a month out, I won't do bjj and focus on MT specifically, on those days I find someone to do padwork or clinch sparring with.

The tapering week (based on weigh-ins on Fri), I keep the intensity the same, but drop the volume (30-45min instead of usual 2-3h -- this is for mt/bjj/mma, not lifting)

s-last day of lifting
s-padwork, bag, shadow box, etc 30-45min
m-padwork, bag, shadow box, etc 30-45min
t-padwork, bag, shadow box, etc 30-45min
w-OFF
t-OFF
f-[weigh-ins]
s-[fight night]

not 4 days after. personally, the worst case of DOMs ive had was felt at most 2 days after. and that was when I used to do serious leg days: squats, lunges, leg curls, leg press (and thats only quad-included hehe)

not 4 days after. personally, the worst case of DOMs ive had was felt at most 2 days after. and that was when I used to do serious leg days: squats, lunges, leg curls, leg press (and thats only quad-included hehe)
If you are training for strength, having DOMS for 4 days is not normal
Well I'm 5'4 so my ROM is very deep. Ass is literally 6 inches off the ground at the bottom.
I also only squat once a week and sometimes once every 2 weeks so extreme DOMS is to be expected with that low of frequency. I'm basically never getting used to the movement because of how not-often I squat.

I don't train purely for strength but I do 95x10, 115x10, 135x10, 135x7, 185x7, 205x5
I should probably cut out some warm up sets.

Most importantly, fix yourself up mentally, that's what's important before first fight. Fight calculated and light headed, don't get angry. Don't hunt for one shot, strike to any opening that appears. What I found out that fits me - don't throw unprepared kicks. Combination with hands first, then finish with a kick. Also, remember to conserve energy for all 3 rounds - the one that starts getting flat footed because of being tired is more likely to get knocked out :)

Well I'm 5'4 so my ROM is very deep. Ass is literally 6 inches off the ground at the bottom.
I also only squat once a week and sometimes once every 2 weeks so extreme DOMS is to be expected with that low of frequency. I'm basically never getting used to the movement because of how not-often I squat.

I don't train purely for strength but I do 95x10, 115x10, 135x10, 135x7, 185x7, 205x5

DOMS depends on a lot of things. I've seen people who isn't use to a movement, especially something as taxing as squatting, be sore up to a week after a hard workout. If you do the squats regularly, like 1-3 times pr. week, most DOMS will pass quickly or not come at all. Yes, you might lower the volume in general, but whatever feels right.

Regarding your question. Yes you should probably stop lifting like 1-2 weeks out. You wont lose any strenght in that time, but you will recover so you should peak. Stay busy and loose though. Also, ask your coach about how you can best prepare.

Good luck with your fight! Takes balls.

Do you get adequate protein/nutrition after squatting?

Since I got my nutrition on point and surplus to requirements I've not had DOMs. That's with lifting way heavier.

Sorry to ride the little off-topic train here, but I personally dropped PR squatting since I primarily began MT/KB'ing. I do ridiculous amounts of body weight squats and loads and loads of no-weight leg press, and this still allows me to train at close to 100% (as well as running etc).
I know that chasing numbers is such a great feeling, but if you really can't train properly for 4 days due to DOMS, and you primarily want to fight (not powerlift), you should probably try and change up the way you're training. I still strength train all my other body parts, because I can deal with the other muscle stiffness. But legs.... Man without legs I can't do anything.
Also, your body gets very used to the way you train. If your diet is in check, I'm sure that adding an extra leg day every week (preferably when you're not 30 days out from a fight), will help your body adapt to the workouts. (maybe a day of just 75% leg lifts).
Either way, there is no real... "proven", methods. Only what you can learn from your own body really.

One thing I'd like to touch on is the idea of 400/800metre SPRINTS... You shouldn't be sprinting this (at least not just straight off the bat). You can run it at a high speed or intensity, but to push your muscles this much ISN'T as good as most people would think (not to mention the strain it has on your muscles, especially 30 days out of a fight).
It sounds like not much at first, but 400metres of sprinting? Are you only going to do 2 sprints and be done? I for one used to be exactly the same in that mindset of, "I can do anything if I put my mind to it", but lately I've shifted more towards smarter training rather than harder. Don't get me wrong, it's a great GOAL to have, but not a great thing to just dive into, I'll explain:
An exceptionally fast runner can sprint the 100metre in 10 seconds. So, if they could keep up a 100metre sprint pace for 400metres, they'd run it in 40 seconds. But that's unreasonable. If we give them 55-60 seconds, that's more reasonable. Now take a group of people who don't train solely for sprinting/running (majority of people) and we can generally "sprint" 400metres in probably around 80-90seconds. Our body's aren't made to sprint to that extent, and if you need to sprint for 1minute 30seconds out of 2/3 minute rounds, you are definitely not conserving your energy properly for the fight.

I'm not trying to sway you from pushing your limits, but rather I'm trying to express that there is a smart way to train. First time I ran properly, years ago, I did 7.5km and couldn't walk for a week and a half. If I paced myself at 1km, then 1.5km, and progressed, I would've never had problems, would've never swayed me from the idea of running and would've loved achieving the small set goals.
I know you want to push yourself, but sometimes it's better to train smart rather than just hard, especially if you're only 30 days out from the fight! Don't hurt your ankle sprinting 3 weeks out from the fight, just because you were too tired to run with proper form and you were too set on sprinting 400metres :).
Just go for timed jogs and try and beat the time tomorrow! This will push yourself more than you think.

tl;dr
If you want to push yourself, go for a 5km jog, time yourself, and see if you can beat it tomorrow. Don't just dive into the deep end because you've seen a pro do it. You're 30 days out, don't do anything too dramatic that will injure yourself.

Thank you Phlog and TheFinalDetails.

Yes my nutrition is on point. Before I trained 2 years ago I was into the whole powerbuilding thing. Been lifting for quite a while now. Lots of steak, salmon, chicken and rice is pretty much all I eat. Sometimes sweet potatoes, oats, and lots of carrots and celery.

I really just think it's the lack of frequency and consistency in my squatting that gives me DOMS. I have the lift of a slightly lower than an intermediate lifter in squats but i have the (in)frequency of a novice. So everytime I go to squat the load I'm doing just fucks up my legs, even though my lifts used to be higher it still feels very heavy. I also neglect a proper cool down sometimes, but i usually try to run or at least walk after.

Thanks though guys. Gonna go for maybe a longer type of jog. Maybe 30:00 minutes on the treadmill at 7 speed

I really just think it's the lack of frequency and consistency in my squatting that gives me DOMS. I have the lift of a slightly lower than an intermediate lifter in squats but i have the (in)frequency of a novice. So everytime I go to squat the load I'm doing just fucks up my legs, even though my lifts used to be higher it still feels very heavy. I also neglect a proper cool down sometimes, but i usually try to run or at least walk after.

Thanks though guys. Gonna go for maybe a longer type of jog. Maybe 30:00 minutes on the treadmill at 7 speed

It's definitely the inconsistency that plays on the DOMS, most 100% definitely in my personal opinion.
Nice stuff man, but if you POSSIBLY can (don't absolutely have to), drop the treadmill for the road! Makes it less tedious in terms of environment and it's easier to slack on the tready :).
Good luck man, rootin for ya!

Back