First judo class

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by ohyeah290, Aug 31, 2010.

1. ohyeah290

ohyeah290 Blue Belt

I tried out my first judo class yesterday night. Completely different from any other grappling I've ever done. I enjoyed it a lot and plan to continue. However I don't really understand the rules. I know there's a ground game involved but where is it? I mainly just see a throw and then they reset. (ippon?)

2. Carrera26

Carrera26 Orange Belt

If there's an Ippon-worthy (thrower clearly in control, opponent lands on back or side, technique and not just power) throw, the match is won and over so no follow up on the ground. If the throw is only worth a half point or fails completely and both opponents go to the mat in the attempt, Ne-waza (groundwork) ensues. Competition rules state that there must not be >8 seconds without clear progress on either side or it's stood up. With clear progress (back and forth) it can and will go on until a 25 second pin, a submission, or the end of the match time.

3. HEAVY GRAPPLER

HEAVY GRAPPLER Brown Belt

While we're asking - what constitutes progress? Do I have to pass? Do they recognize passing as such?

Sorry if these are dumb questions.

4. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP ^Korean Chef Kevin Lee, NOT Fighter Kevin Lee

You'll notice that most throws end up in a non-ippon situation.
    In my experience, very often the most vulnerable player than goes in turtle position and they start over. It seems that sometimes there is some kind of unspoken agreement that both want to stand up.

However, unless agreed otherwise nothing stops you from attacking their turtle or transitioning right away into newaza, so that you can get a fair amount of ground work in judo randori.

EDIT: forgot to mention that this just applies to training.

5. unearth187

unearth187 Blue Belt

actually in training groundwork and stand up are often kept seperate due to limited mat space. if two guys are working on the ground and two other guys are working standup next to each other it creates a dangerous situation since someone could be thrown on top of the guys on the ground resulting in injury. this is why people dont continue to groundwork usually during standup

in judo competitions though the rules are like what the previous poster stated

6. knoxpk

knoxpk Black Belt

True. I have seen where the 1st 15-20 minutes was newaza technique demo followed by drilling the move then newaza randori. Immediately after they showed then drilled some throws followed by standing randori.

7. Alaskantkdkid

Alaskantkdkid Green Belt

This is usually how we do it, unless we have an event coming up where we need to spend more time on one or the other.

8. Carrera26

Carrera26 Orange Belt

Progress can be a finnicky (sp?) thing, and depends a great deal on your ref's knowledge of groundwork and therefore understanding that getting that underhook at 6 seconds does indeed constitute concrete progress. It also depends on your belt level and the level of competition. Lower belts in a regional shiai, expect to get stood up almost right away if there isn't big, fast progression. A black belt at a national qualifier will be given far more time to ply their Ne Waza.

Generally it's improving position, attempting a sub, escaping a sub, and establishing clear control of your opponent.

9. xcydal

xcydal I am in here.

10. Neuro

Neuro Purple Belt

....and that's how I broke my eye socket. Sumi-gaishi variation heel to the face. It blew.

11. Manatee

Manatee Blue Belt

Passing into the following:Side control,mount, north-south, essentially past both legs, is a pin in judo. You hold a pin for 25 seconds to win.

12. ohyeah290

ohyeah290 Blue Belt

I enjoy starting conversation. I kind of assumed people would talk about the whole judo experience as well.

The only throw I went over was ippon seo nagi? I don't know if that's how it's spelled. Is it similar to an arm throw? I think I remember doing something like that in wrestling.

13. gocubs1815

gocubs1815 Black Belt

If you don't get an ippon, than its just BJJ untill they stand you back up. And if you hold a position like mount for 25 sec. than its a win.

The best advice I can give to you is LEARN BREAK FALLS!!!!!!

[​IMG]

14. kiridoku

kiridoku picks up a bus and he throws it back down

ha! that's good.