First Jiu jitsu competition (U.S. Grappling Grapplemania)

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by jheers11, Jul 25, 2010.

1. jheers11

jheers11 Guest

Heres a link to the video of my first match at my first jiu jitsu tourney at U.S Grappling grapplemania in Henderson NC. Im in the red triumph shorts. 162lbs novice division (only had one opponent so I got first place lol.) I lost my first match in the Novice Absolute division by two points and I wish I had the video of it to post since I didnt do quite as good in it. I have about 5-6 months grappling experience but only get to train once a week, twice a week max, which Im really hoping to train more after this competition.
    Anyways, I won 8-0 in points but I really should have won by submission but i made some simple, technical mistakes. I realize some of the mistakes but I would really like to hear any and all advice on what I could have done better to finish.

YouTube - U.S Grappling 7-24-10 John Heerschap (red)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pylY7FuapUg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pylY7FuapUg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

2. yovan

yovan Purple Belt

First off, the video quality is pretty impressive from a phone.

Anyhow at :34 he was begging to get armbarred. After that I thought you had good positional control from mount. I personally find it hard to submit guys no-gi from mount if they won't give you an arm.

I liked your triangle attempt and rollover to mounted triangle.

All in all, good job for the amount of time you've been training. Where do you train?

3. JH34PG

JH34PG White Belt

very nice...the armbar was there...but the triangle attempt was very smooth from the guard.

i havent competed yet but i cant wait to see what its like with all that adrenalan going on

4. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

5. jheers11

jheers11 Guest

THanks for the response....Yes I know I was seriously about to armbar him there but I hesitated too much. Now that I watch it Im just like gah why didnt I just finish it right there! lol Thanks for the repost of the video too. And yes it is very different with that adrenaline running than in training. That dude came out pretty tense and strong I could tell his adrenaline was pumping, its a different game when its like that, also my nerves and weight cutting had me drained too. Oh yeah and I train at Team ROC GReensboro in North Carolina

6. jheers11

jheers11 Guest

OH yeah and the video quality is really good for a phone, 720p HD Off my HTC 4G EVO phone from sprint. They shoot GREAT video they have a 8.0 Megapixel camera. I love it.

7. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

That is pretty damn good quality for a phone.

8. InfiniteWit

InfiniteWit Orange Belt

Congrats. The first tournament is always fun. I did shit at grapplemania.

9. Baconator69**

Baconator69** Banned Banned

US Grappling are a great group of guys, I had a blast at their SUB only event last october. Im pissed I had to miss their recient tourny due to a broken toe.

Great match nice triangle, and good job on holding it when he was doing a good job on trying to escape. I bet your legs were gassed lol.

10. Wrestleben

Wrestleben Brown Belt

Get your butt in the air on the triangle.

11. jheers11

jheers11 Guest

haha yes my legs were gassed as well as my arms from the arm triangle from guard too. I cut a little weight tho and it was my first time cutting weight and I think thats one reason I gassed also. And yeah great credit to him he had good heart, strong, and had just overall toughness, everyone said his head was purple almost the whole match so he was tough of course obiviously my submissions werent tight enough or he would have been forced to tap or pass out.

12. Linzy

Linzy Orange Belt

Thanks for coming out last weekend! I'm glad you had a good time at the tournament. (I'm the blond chick at the bracketing table that you talked to about 83 times.)

13. jheers11

jheers11 Guest

Muahahahaa thats hilarious! Thanks for lettin me compete in absolute too though!. Yeah I did have a good time for my first tourney, I was really impressed, cant wait till the next U.S grappling I can make it too.