First Impressions

P

Pugilistic

A while back, I used to be part of this sort of philosophy discussion group where we practiced talking about our first impressions to each other. We would talk about what kind of impression we got from others or what we thought when first saw them. Like if you noticed if someone was overweight, if you thought his/her shirt was weird, if you thought they were attractive, if you thought he/she’d be a cool person to hang out with, etc. We’d also share what kind of impressions you’d like to give to others as well. The point of this was to practice being honest, and dealing with other people’s honesty, because what people say about you is mostly their projections so it helped me to not take things personally. Sometimes is was amusing the large disparity between what each person’s impression of me was. Thought it would be a fun little exercise us sherbros can do.

What kind of first impressions do you give people? Or what kind of first impressions do you think you give?

• A lot of people, especially women, would say I seem like a typical frat bro or jock.
  • Had the occasional person tell me I seem like a quiet nerd who isn’t interested in partying or meeting girls.
  • I had a few guys tell me I seem like a chill guy who’s cool to hang with.
  • I had one girl tell me when she first saw me I was like a little brother she never had.

What kind of impression would like to give?

• Ideally I would like to come off as a chill dude who’s genuine and compassionate. In reality I probably mostly come off as a weirdo who hunts pigeons.

a groundhog expert.

"He's a nice guy once you get to know him."

"He's an asshole but you'll get used to it."

Both phrases pretty much spot on for me!

i instinctively push a persona that makes me look dumber than I am.
ever since grade school I've answered questions wrong on purpose out loud even though I knew the answers.
Wonder why that is.

I don't worry about or try to project an image I just do what I want

normally I don't stand out and most people forget me

Last edited:
  • I had one girl tell me when she first saw me I was like a little brother she never had.

d691402ecd86474034a38a438da2e6a160f1d5d47abb1a32f1a387dc1dbd7ab4.jpg

What kind of first impressions do you give people? Or what kind of first impressions do you think you give?

• A lot of people, especially women, would say I seem like a typical frat bro or jock.
  • Had the occasional person tell me I seem like a quiet nerd who isn’t interested in partying or meeting girls.

• Ideally I would like to come off as a chill dude who’s genuine and compassionate. In reality I probably mostly come off as a weirdo who hunts pigeons.
In a group like that, I'm sure there was much more thought put into the first impression, than would be otherwise. Most people just judge you as good/bad, or opportunity/threat in real life situations. I seem to be very accurate with those "snap judgments" although I'm often criticized by friends for making them. Ironically, most people are usually wrong in their immediate negative impression of me, at least in my current locale.

That is true. We did acknowledge that and tried to make honest as possible immediate impressions if possible. A lot of times with chicks it basically boiled down to “she’s cute,” or “she’s not cute.” Once I told a girl she was hot but looked like she had a lot of work done. She didn’t like that lol.

Another point of the exercise was to acknowledge that our impressions are often wrong and that whatever people said about us isn’t personal, which I think is a good lesson carry with you

A while back, I used to be part of this sort of philosophy discussion group where we practiced talking about our first impressions to each other. We would talk about what kind of impression we got from others or what we thought when first saw them. Like if you noticed if someone was overweight, if you thought his/her shirt was weird, if you thought they were attractive, if you thought he/she’d be a cool person to hang out with, etc. We’d also share what kind of impressions you’d like to give to others as well. The point of this was to practice being honest, and dealing with other people’s honesty, because what people say about you is mostly their projections so it helped me to not take things personally. Sometimes is was amusing the large disparity between what each person’s impression of me was. Thought it would be a fun little exercise us sherbros can do.

That's not philosophy bro. That's bullshit talking about your feelings. Philosophy is dissecting logic. It's meta science bro.

Ever since fourth grade people have always thought I'm weird. They're right.

First impressions I get mostly are determining whether or not I should be suspicious of somebody. Like if they could be a danger to me. But I feel that way about like, all men lol. And if I'm suspicious of a girl it's bc I've thought she could be working with a man lmao. Irl I'd avoid all of you o:

Outside of that its just "wow he has nice eyes" and "awwww she's so adorable!!! Can I put her in my pocket" lol xD

An old gay black dude once told me I looked like a young Brad Pitt.

That's the 'first impression' that I'm running with forever.

Last edited:
Since I got a really bad case of resting bitch face, most people, when they get to Know me, tell me that I'm much nicer than I look.
I'm super shy around new people too so I think I give a bad first impression in general lol

Some people think I'm dumb because I'm patient and refuse to finish their sentences for them. I don't fill in the blanks while they stumble to find a word. I'm also not just waiting for them to be done talking and I actually consider what they've just said. It's often to the point where they feel the need to rephrase their thought.

I've found that I have a very wide range of first impressions based on a number of things.

I'm a pretty big guy. 6'4" and just kind of look like I should be a linebacker or something. Couple this with being hard of hearing, sarcastic and deadpan and sometimes everything aligns just right to make people think I'm either an asshole, crazy, or both. I didn't know this for years. But it's like this:

A big guy that doesn't really talk a lot unless directly spoken too. Even if you DO directly speak to him, he "ignores" you. Sometimes I think people say something and I don't catch it, so I kind of turn toward them, and if they don't say anything I don't know whether they were talking to me so I just go about my business.

So you have this guy who's 6'4" and ignoring you. Then you say something....he turns and looks directly at you....says nothing.....and then goes back to what he was doing. Then he later makes a "joke" (that you might not know is a joke since he's deadpan and sarcastic) about destroying something with a hammer because he's angry.

It doesn't help that often I don't display a wide range of emotions and can be very direct due to my bad hearing. So I have a tendency to walk straight up to people, look down on them intently because I want to hear what they say. Then once they answer I just say "ok, thanks" and go back to what I was doing. Basically, I tend to keep verbal interactions to a minimum because it can be awkward.

I mean, other times I'm as outgoing and smiling and laughing as much as anyone else. But deadpan and unwavering is sort of my "neutral" state. Not quite like a Vulcan but too far off either. I worked with some people for years and I had no idea they had been afraid of me for a period of time. Other people sometimes just think Im an asshole. And then other times you can get a good conversation going and you hit it off. It just varies quite drastically for me. Even my closest friends introduce me sometimes and say "This is [my name]. He's not a dick, he just can't hear very well."

Since I got a really bad case of resting bitch face, most people, when they get to Know me, tell me that I'm much nicer than I look.
I'm super shy around new people too so I think I give a bad first impression in general lol

Sounds like you and I would excel at making people think we want to kill them and hide them in a shallow grave.

People have thought I was a pushover only to get a sharp reality check when they crossed certain lines.
Others, that I'm very guarded.

Others that I'm chill, others that I'm intense, quiet, and many impressions in between, some correct some incorrect.

It varies.

I don't really worry about how I come off, as long as whomever isn't getting the wrong impression, and even then, it varies whether I care or not.

Ever since fourth grade people have always thought I'm weird. They're right.

First impressions I get mostly are determining whether or not I should be suspicious of somebody. Like if they could be a danger to me. But I feel that way about like, all men lol. And if I'm suspicious of a girl it's bc I've thought she could be working with a man lmao. Irl I'd avoid all of you o:

Outside of that its just "wow he has nice eyes" and "awwww she's so adorable!!! Can I put her in my pocket" lol xD
The first impression I get of you is that you are fucking weird

People think I'm a kindergarten teacher. Like, almost without exception.

I've decided to take it as a compliment.

First Impression I hope to give: I don't care about you or your stories.

First Impressions guys have on me: Stupid punk.
First Impressions chicks have on me: Virgin, blockhead.

I have had numerous cases where acquaintances whom approached me and asked if I'm angry about something. These usually occurs while I'm walking to to washroom, chilling while my friends are finishing their lunch. I have "angry" face when I'm not smiling or simply when I have no facial expression. Strangers also feels like I'm eyeballing them and have gotten me into alot of troubles when I was a teenager.

I have female friends that told me I'm blockhead after we met a few times. I usually shrug it off and think to myself, probably because I'm not interested in impressing you.

Back